My shipment was weighed what now...

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
hdge4u

My shipment was weighed what now...

Postby hdge4u » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:09 am

The mover provided inventory for every item at move out and provided a tarriff contract prior to final weight. We had to call them 5 days later to get the final weight.

Per phone conversation, my shipment was weighed and is currently in storage for four months. The actual weight was reported 15,700 lbs and the estimate was 13,100. We reminded them that we had a NOT TO EXCEED CONTRACT and the mover said that would be upheld. The mover stated that the sales agent had 15% cushion, yet our arrangement would be maintained.

The mover has not asked me for any money yet.

QUESTION?

Is there some kind of paperwork that I should be requesting to confirm this weight and arrangement or anything else I should do at this time? Do I just wait to receive my shipment in four months when I am ready?

IMP

Re: My shipment was weighed what now...

Postby IMP » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:41 am

You are entitled to receive copies of the weight tickets, and if you dispute the weight of the shipment you may ask for a reweigh in your presence. Are you comfortable telling us who the mover is? You can PM me if you prefer not to say it on an open board. If you have a true not-to-exceed estimate, from a company who is standing behind it, and they aren't asking you for additional money, then you should be in good shape - knowing who you are dealing with would help us answer your question intelligently.

hdge4u

Postby hdge4u » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:55 am

Paul Arpin and Western Relocations

IMP

Postby IMP » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:21 pm

As movers go - Paul Arpin is on the top side of the 50% line as far as I am concerned. There are of course exceptions.

IMP

Postby IMP » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:23 pm

Hadn't finished - do you have a not to exceed price? If so, you should be paying based upon the estimated weight of the shipment. Are you being told differently?

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:24 pm

I might be wrong on this but you might want to look into the storage part of the charges. Becouse I am not sure if they can give you a binding estimate on the storage part if it is at destination. But I could be wrong on this. Just somthing to look into.
Ruges

IMP

Postby IMP » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:55 am

Ruges - I believe you are correct that storage charges cannot be bound unless stored at the warehouse of the booking agent, at least it was that way when I worked for a major van line - which I no longer do, and which was not Paul Arpin. Now, if the agent where the storage takes place wants to be generous, they CAN uphold the weight estimate, but they are not required to do so.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:09 pm

Judging from this poster's prior posts, the shipment is being stored at origin in CA - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6661

The shipment apparently weighed 2600 pounds more than the original estimate of 13,100 pounds--a difference of almost 20%. I think what the poster is concerned about is possibly being charged something beyond the original quote amount, since he/she says that the tolerated variance at Arpin is only 15% (others have said that it's 10% at other van lines) before the agent is charged back by the van line. From what people have said previously, I think this amount is then usually taken out of the sales rep's commission.

I don't think the customer can be charged more because he/she had a GNTE. However, it seems as if the sales rep will probably lose all or most of his commission on this move. People have said that the usual commission for sales reps is 7% to 10% of the linehaul and packing--more on small shipments, less on larger shipments.

If I am mistaken, I hope that people will come on to correct me. Judging from the poster's prior thread (above), the original inventory list suggested that the customer had 15,000 pounds but for some reason the sales rep wrote the estimate at 13,100 pounds, taking a chance I guess.

Return to “Open Community”