NYC to Tucson - received quote of $0.75/lb

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
AJVIC

NYC to Tucson - received quote of $0.75/lb

Postby AJVIC » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:23 pm

My move is from a 5x8 storage unit in Queens, NY to a house in Tucson, AZ. I've researched a number of moving companies using the information on this website and The Moving Doctor seemed to be the lesser of all evils. All of my things are already boxed (mostly books & cds - about 35 boxes total); the only furniture I'm moving is 3 chairs and one dresser; and a bicycle. I was quoted a price of $0.75 per pound and an estimate of 2000 pounds. I was told that the boxes would be palletized and shrink-wrapped and it will take from one to three weeks to deliver.

Could anyone give me advice as to whether this is one of those deals that is too good to be true?

Thanks much!!!

Re: NYC to Tucson - received quote of $0.75/lb

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:14 pm

AJVIC wrote:My move is from a 5x8 storage unit in Queens, NY to a house in Tucson, AZ. I've researched a number of moving companies using the information on this website and The Moving Doctor seemed to be the lesser of all evils. All of my things are already boxed (mostly books & cds - about 35 boxes total); the only furniture I'm moving is 3 chairs and one dresser; and a bicycle. I was quoted a price of $0.75 per pound and an estimate of 2000 pounds. I was told that the boxes would be palletized and shrink-wrapped and it will take from one to three weeks to deliver.

Could anyone give me advice as to whether this is one of those deals that is too good to be true?

Thanks much!!!

I've come to notice in life that if it seems too good to be true, normally it is.

Hope you find something decent and reputable in your relocation to Arizona! I'll be headed from PA to AZ myself in a few months, so if I run across anything (and don't decide to just rent a truck, which right now is a 99 percent possibility) I'll let you know.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:28 am

Hi - I am not convinced about The Moving Doctor. They have offered to move 2000 pounds for $1500. Is this realistic? Most of the time, moving companies charge about $1 per pound to move things cross-country. If The Moving Doctor is basically a packaging/shipping firm, which I suspect, the packaging will be an add-on. Normally with similar companies like ShipSmart, packaging adds about 30% to the cost. Just a heads-up.

Be sure to come back to report to us what happens and your final cost. If you have books and CDs, they could go with USPS at media rate at minimal cost.

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:58 pm

[post removed as trashing competitors]

Return to “Open Community”