The Moving Doctor in NYC - any information???

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
AJVIC

The Moving Doctor in NYC - any information???

Postby AJVIC » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:01 pm

I'll be moving from Queens, NY to Tucson, AZ. My things are packed and ready in a 5x8 storage unit - about 35 boxes of books, cds, housewares - 3 chairs, one dresser, one bicycle. I did the research on a number of movers following the instructions on this website and The Moving Doctor seems to be the most reliable as well as the least expensive. I was quoted (via telephone) an estimate of 2000 pounds at a cost of $0.75 per pound.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this company? Does the price seem too low?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Diane

Re: The Moving Doctor in NYC - any information???

Postby Diane » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:12 pm

You can look up companies by using the Search button above and putting the name into the search box (in quotation marks if it's more than one word). Here's one thread on The Moving Doctor - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4584 You'll notice the similarities between your situation and the ones described there.

What TMD will apparently do is send your things via common carrier such as Roadway, Overnite, or ABF Freight. There's nothing wrong with this, but delivery time is likely to be slow and your weight could come in higher than you think because the goods will have to be packaged to keep them from being damaged.

I don't think you will be actually scammed, but the cost might turn out to be higher than expected. Just as a point of comparison, someone recently went with Box Brothers at www.boxbros.com to ship 1300 pounds from CT to CA and they estimated her cost at $1700 - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6786 It stands to reason that you will end up paying more than $1500 to ship 2000 pounds a slightly lesser distance.

I suggest that you call Moovers, Inc. to see whether they have a truck going West that could pick up your things, and ask them what they would charge. I know the owners and I think the company is very good. Here is their review thread with contact information - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4655

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:26 pm

Thanks for your help - I'll give Moovers a call right now & then Box Brothers.

I believe I read in one of the linked postings that your daughter used Ship Smart - was she satisfied with them?

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:45 pm

There was some miscommunication both with my daughter and among the various components of ShipSmart, but basically it was OK. The company is located near Santa Cruz, which was home to many flower children during the 60s, and some of that "mellow" mentality may still be operative. I think the big hazard with all these companies is that people don't really know what their things weigh and initially the companies themselves may underestimate to get the business. That's why I think Box Brothers may be the best of them--they have a portable scale on the truck and they weigh the things while the customer looks on. Of course, packaging will add weight and volume, but I think BB at least tries harder to give the customer a realistic idea of final costs.

Return to “Open Community”