Move from Georgia to Arizona

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
gatoaz

Move from Georgia to Arizona

Postby gatoaz » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:46 pm

What a great site! I have been reading for the past couple of days.

We have a "complicated" move as we are moving from GA to AZ and IN. We are moving to AZ in March but need to store the contents going to IN for ~1 year before we will have a home there. Before I found this site we have been considering using AmericanSouth Moving Services, Inc., a Bekins agent (MC-52793 DOT 76029). I have seen a lot of negative comments regarding Bekins, but that some agents are better than others.

Does anyone have any experience with this company?

TIA!

Diane

Re: Move from Georgia to Arizona

Postby Diane » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:58 pm

Hi - I don't think that company has ever been discussed here but you can use the Search button above to search on any company name. If it has more than one word in it you have to put it in quotation marks.

I understand that Bekins Van Lines has a 120% turnover of drivers each year. That means that on average, drivers stay with the company less than a year, probably because they don't get paid enough. Not good. Of course, your company might be able to request an especially good van line driver if it can't haul the load itself.

You might also want to consider using the freight company Broadway Express. They could drop off part of your goods in their warehouse in southern IL and take the rest of them on to AZ. I don't know how much it would cost but they have a huge climate-controlled warehouse and their storage rates are usually very reasonable. What they like best is if they can store the goods in the trailer or container they pick them up in so that your things can be secure and undisturbed without being offloaded into the warehouse. This is to avoid possible damage. You could call and discuss it with them if you are interested. There are 178 mostly rave reviews on a sticky at the top of the messageboard. They close at 5 pm CST today and are closed on weekends.

Brenda

Postby Brenda » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:17 pm

If you decide to go with another company, don't use AVL/Atlanta Transport in Norcross GA

gatoaz

Postby gatoaz » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:26 pm

We completed our Ga. to Az. move a week or so ago. We ended up using Allied (Adams transfer & Storage in Tucker Ga.) and had a great experience.

Pre move the local employees were conscientious and on-time. Grace at Adams was our move coordinator and she did a great job.

Horatio was our driver based out of northern Ca. (but I can't remember the name of that franchisee); he was great both loading and unloading our posessions.

The Az. local unloaders also did a great job and were quite helpful.

Kudos to Allied!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:23 pm

Thanks for the update!

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:08 pm

Thanks for this review, which I'll add to my summary post about GA moving companies. I assume that you moved to Phoenix since that's where you're posting from. Maybe your driver was from Nor-Cal (Allied) in the Bay Area as that agency has a lot of good drivers.

AVL NO INSURANCE

Postby AVL NO INSURANCE » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:41 am

US DOT: 1170806

Docket Number: MC461864

Legal Name: AVL.ATLANTA TRANSPORT, INC.

Auth Type COMMON

1st Served Date 02/24/2006

Effective Date 03/29/2006

Reason INVOLUNTARY REVOCATION

HOUSEHOLD GOODS COMMON CARRIER GRANTED 10/02/2003 REVOKED 03/29/2006
MOTOR PROPERTY COMMON CARRIER GRANTED 10/02/2003 REVOKED 03/29/2006