PA USA to Paris FRANCE, stressed out!

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
romanne

PA USA to Paris FRANCE, stressed out!

Postby romanne » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:01 pm

I did email the recommended movers on the site (rainier, stevens, sterling) for an in house survey, but so far no response yet, running out of time, planning the move in less than 4 weeks but not packed yet since the board suggested not to for an international move. how long does it take to get a reply and schedule a survey? I read on the message board that most international movers are sub contracting to local companies, anyone know of a reputable LOCALLY BASED mover in this neck of the woods (Altoona Pennsylvania, 3hours east Pittsburgh, 4hours west of Philly) :roll:

Diane

Re: PA USA to Paris FRANCE, stressed out!

Postby Diane » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:09 pm

Hi - I suggest calling the companies such as Rainier rather than relying on email. Also, there are good comments here about the following company near Pittsburgh, although people have said that it is a bit pricey. I suggest looking at the thread pointed to below and also sending a Private Message to "IMP" if you want to know more.

Champion International Moving at www.champmove.com

There is a positive report on 6/29/04 from one of the moverpros who posts on this board who has used them for corporate moves - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1898

The company was also praised by "wizard" who got an estimate from Champion for his small move from NYC to England. Some of his comments on other companies he considered are informative so I will include them below and put the names of the companies in bold face.

wizard wrote:11/6/04 - First we spoke with Sterling who gave us a quote of $2500.00 without actually seeing what we had, but were pretty right on with their estimate of how much really do have. They were actually the lowest quote we got, but a little more than we had expected to pay.

Next we had All American Van Lines (affiliated with Stevens, which is supposed to be reputable) here on Long Island come and see our stuff for a quote and never called us with the quote! We left several messages and finally got a return call 2 weeks later, not telling us the price yet and when we called back had to leave another message and we still never got a return call....so if it is this hard to get a price from them, I'de hate to imagine what would happen if something went wrong with our move! This was a double disappointment as I had cancelled plans with my best freind who was in the new york area for only that day(she's from LA), because I had to be here for the estimate. Oh well.

Next we had local company Liberty Moving who are affiliated with United come and give us a quote. They looked at half of our stuff and left, which was weird because we had a lot more things in the other part of the house that would have to be possibly crated etc....they did however call back with a quote of around $4000.00 which I dont really know what this was based on as he never really looked at all our stuff, nor did he care to know what else there was.

Finally...we had Champion come...who were absolutley and completley professional and efficient. We had the quote the next day. If only we could afford it! it was $5000.00 (way out of our budget) had we been able to afford them I would have used them without any doubt in my mind. They made me feel quite safe and informed.

We have what is considered a fairly small move. Approx. 220 cubic feet at around 1700 lbs and not really any furniture, mostly boxes. Anyone who is making an international move at this size might really want to consider mailing the stuff to yourself if you have a tight budget, meaning you want to spend around $2000.00 or less.

If you do have a bigger budget, I would definatly suggest a big company like Champion. They were the only ones that truly made me feel safe about the whole thing. I'm postive there would be no surprises at the end of the move if I were to use them.

I'm still nervous about sending my fragile belongings through the mail but at least I know what I'm dealing with. I might have to end up paying possible import duties but at least there won't be the possibilties of some of the nightmares I've read about on this site.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2701

Because of the cost, "wizard" did not use Champion but ended up mailing boxes from NY to England with USPS instead (no report back as yet).

Contact information for Champion: phone 800-841-1010.

romanne

Postby romanne » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:13 pm

thank you Diane for the lightning fast reply!
I will contact Champion as per your suggestion,
do you know if they also would be sub contracting too,
or would that be an 'in house champion' operation?
this is so00 stressful

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:29 pm

I don't know much about international moving - the expert on these things is "hardatwork" and you can send him a Private Message to ask. He could also probably suggest how to move things along at Rainier or Stevens. In general, a company like Champion will ask a local moving company near you to come estimate and pack up your goods, and then other companies will take the goods to port and put them on a vessel and so on. It is all broken down into pieces. However, a good company like Champion is not going to use any other company that is flaky.

It doesn't really matter where the freight forwarder (Champion, Rainier, or Stevens) is located because they will have developed relationships with good moving companies that they repeatedly use in various parts of the U.S. Our reviews show that Rainier in WA, for example, often uses University Van Lines in Rahway, NJ for shipments originating near NYC.

romanne

Postby romanne » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:36 pm

just got off the phone with Champion, just as you said , they use a local mover that they know are efficient, Champion I am told is specialized in corporate moves (ie, no flakes I reckon). I will follow up on the progress of everything as it develops. thanks again. stay tuned :P
this is so00 stressful

romanne

FOLLOW UP: PA USA to Paris FRANCE

Postby romanne » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:04 pm

it came down to CHAMPION or STEVENS INT. Nadine Larsson at Stevens was absolutely awesome, by the way, I highly recommend her, but in the end and for other reasons I decided to sign on with CHAMPION, Susan my contact is nice and patient. I will update as the move goes forward.

Return to “International Moves”