Boston to Kansas City

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
daria028

Boston to Kansas City

Postby daria028 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:15 pm

I am new to this board, but have already learned a lot from this website! I would appreciate any advice from users here on my situation.

I am moving in about a month from Boston, MA to Kansas City, MO. I am debating whether to use a full-service mover or a self-pack they-drive mover.

I have maybe the equivalent of a studio's or 1 bedroom apartment's worth of furniture. It's hard for me to estimate, because I currently share my apartment and I won't be moving everything out.

So far I've read in these forums that Broadway Express has a minimum of 10 ft... which is too much for me. So I guess I would be going with ABF.

I have been looking into full-service movers too. Specifically, I have contacted McCormack Payton (agent of Atlas) and A. Arnold, both of whom are based near Kansas City. Hopefully, I will get in-home estimates from them this week.

Should I be looking at agents in Boston or Kansas City?

Thanks!!

Diane

Re: Boston to Kansas City

Postby Diane » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:22 pm

Hi - Broadway Express has reduced its minimum to 5 linear feet for the slow season, except in NYC where the minimum is still 10 feet. The price breaking points are 5 feet, 7 feet, and 10 feet. In other words, if you have 6 feet you would pay for 7 feet and if you have 8 or 9 feet you would pay for 10 feet.

You almost certainly have less than 5 feet so you could either use Broadway or one of ABF's mobile storage containers described in ABF review #23 (they hold about 4 linear feet or 2000 pounds). Just looking at the online cost estimator at www.broadwayexpress.net/household.html I get a quote of $1250 for 5 feet. This includes a 10% "city fee" for Boston. You should also get a quote from ABF for a container. They are much easier to load than the trailers because they sit on the ground, they are rainproof, and ABF will store them for you if necessary for $125 a month.

In my opinion if you want a full-service mover you should be looking in the Boston area and not in Kansas City. A Kansas City-based mover (especially an independent like A. Arnold) would not be able to do an in-home estimate. I am guessing that a full-service mover would charge around $2000-$2500 for what you have.

If you want people to help load the BE trailer or the ABF container, some Boston-area companies recommended by people on this messageboard are Nick's in Somerville, Marathon Movers in Hyde Park, and Gentle Giant. You can also use workers from www.LaborReady.com, and you can hire the BE driver to help load for about $30/hour (very worth it).

daria028

Postby daria028 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:04 pm

I have scheduled 4 appointments for in-home estimates this week. If they are ridiculously expensive, I will look again at ABF and BE.

Wakefield Distribution (Allied)
McCormack Payton (Atlas)
Rainbow Movers (North American)
McLaughlin (Mayflower)

I'll keep posting on my progress. I have learned a lot from this message board, so hopefully I can help someone else with my story... or maybe someone else has advice they can offer!

I-95 MOVER

Postby I-95 MOVER » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:11 pm

Hmmm IMHO on a scale of 1 thru 5 with 5 being the best I would say.

(3) Wakefield
( ) McCormack not familure enough with to rate
(4) Rainbow
(3) McLaughlin
This is based on them doing a self haul. Also if you got kenny I would change my mind and rate wakefield 4.5
Nobody but my company gets a 5

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:56 pm

Does anyone know whether Julian Wright is still a Graebel agent? Someone said so last year but it isn't listed on the Graebel website. - Just as an addition, Sterling (NAVL) in Lowell is supposed to be good, according to people posting here, but you already have a North American agent on your list.

daria028

Postby daria028 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:50 am

OK, fellow posters... for your information and critique, here are the four quotes I received last week. All of the values below include the cost for a shuttle ($200-300), but not the cost for full/max valuation coverage.

Wakefield (Allied) - 2062 lbs. $1987.10 (non-binding)

Bob Nicholas was prompt and professional. He said they could guarantee me a loading day, since they were using the shuttle.

McCormack Payton (Atlas) - 2700 lbs. $2146.20 (non-binding)

I contacted McCormack (based in Kansas City) because of a referral from the research institute I will be working for. They sent Brian from Wm. Duggan, who arrived early and was very professional and friendly. I'm a little shocked by his estimated weight. Also, the final estimate I received included another $200 for a parking permit!! They were the only company that did not give me an inventory.

Rainbow (NAVL) - 1770 lbs. $2027.50 (binding)

Jim McEnaney was half an hour late. (Normally, I wouldn't think much of this, but I had another appointment scheduled right after him! He did call to say he was running late.) He was extremely pleasant and professional though. He cannot guarantee a loading date for me, but said that because it was off-peak season, there was a possibility they could work around my desired date. They will know the actual date of loading 1 week in advance. Jim was the only estimator who didn't think they would need the shuttle to access my street. He was also the only one to give me a binding (though not a guaranteed-not-to-exceed) quote.

McLaughlin (Mayflower) - 2200 lbs. $1892.96 (non-binding)

Marc Lancaric was very prompt (in fact I was the one who kept him waiting...) and professional, though not very pleasant. He was behaving very "take-charge" (including one incident where he unsuccessfully tried to turn on my living room light, without even asking me!) He was the only one who said that there is a minimum of 2100 lbs. for an interstate move.

So a couple of my questions:

Should I pay for full/max valuation coverage?

Is there a weight minimum for interstate moves? What is it?

Any other advice or thoughts anyone has to offer would be appreciated as well! Thanks guys!

daria028

Postby daria028 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:18 am

Yes, another post from me. Just found an answer to one of my questions in another thread...

PMueller wrote:I think Atlas may have a minimum weight of 2100 pounds (which is pretty typical of the carriers), if you receive a guarantee not to exceed estimate you would be able to receive a credit or not be charged for anything more than the actual weight of shipment (of course, not less than the minimum weight). To the best of my knowledge, Atlas, United, Mayflower have 2100 pound minimums. Allied, North American have 1000 pound minimums.

daria028

Postby daria028 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:54 pm

HELP!

I know my post was long, but if anyone could offer any insight, that would be really helpful!

I am leaning towards going with Rainbow or Wakefield.

Should I push for binding or NTE quotes?

And what do movers do instead of self-hauling? They switch drivers halfway through the trip? How does this affect your stuff?

Thanks guys... sorry to be a pest. :(

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:09 pm

Hi again, Daria,

Is your company paying for this move or does it have a special arrangement with any of the carriers you are considering? If so, you will almost certainly have a good move because the best drivers are assigned to corporate accounts.

I think people didn't answer you because they basically thought you would be OK with any one of the four companies, since all are good. Here is a thread that you might want to look at for comparison - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4684

With regard to your question about purchasing FVP, the moverguys who post here usually recommend buying it and getting zero deductible. In a corporate move, this valuation coverage is often thrown in free.

With regard to getting a BNTE quote (or a Binding quote), yes, it's best, but in a corporate move paid for by the employer the quotes are usually Nonbinding.

If the load is not self-hauled by the company that books it, that means that a long-haul driver for the van line will haul it. Normally it will not be transferred en route. In that case you are really dependent on the quality of the van line drivers--Atlas vs. North American and so on. All of the van lines you are considering are OK with Mayflower probably the best because a United driver could haul the load for Mayflower. United is considered the best van line overall.

I guess if it were my move and I were paying for it on my own, I would tend to go with Rainbow.

daria028

Postby daria028 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:23 am

Thanks for your reply, Diane! No, this is not a corporate move. I'm leaning towards Rainbow as well.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:30 am

Here are some prior comments on Rainbow:
Diane wrote:--Rainbow (North American) in Franklin.
This company was praised by "East Coast Mover" (now posting as "I-95"; a driver for North American in the Northeast).
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5126
We have a very good review by "nerissw" for a Boston to San Francisco move:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6606
"Nay" (a law student in Boston) didn't like their estimator:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... =9523#9523

There are at least three drivers for North American Van Lines who post here regularly: "East Coast Mover," "I-95," and "Ruges." Who knows, you might even get one of them as your driver, or they might be able to assist you if there are glitches with the move.

daria028

Postby daria028 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:16 am

I decided to go with Rainbow. My final quote is a GNTE for $1521.94 for 1400 lbs. (Shuttle not included.)

Those of you who are more attentive will notice that this is less weight than before. Something I hadn't disclosed earlier for simplicity's sake: after receiving quotes from Atlas and Allied, I decided to ask the estimators if they could give me TWO quotes. One would include everything I have, and the other would leave out things I could donate or sell.

Jim from North American was able to do this for me. But Marc from Mayflower said there was no point since they have a weight minimum of 2100 lbs.

Although he was late, Jim was the easiest guy to talk to and didn't make me feel pressured or rushed. In addition, Rainbow seems to have mostly excellent reviews. When I called Jim to ask for a GNTE, he immediately revised my quote and sent it back.

My move will occur the last week of February. In the meantime, I will be studying up on packing techniques. I already started another thread about that! (Original boxes vs. moving boxes)

Wish me luck!

EastCoastMover

Postby EastCoastMover » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:25 pm

just in case it makes you feel better about your choice,good ole jim is one of the owners (2nd generation) and is a real stand up guy....you should have no problems whatsoever...and if he said you don't need a shuttle,you won't,as he also can drive the big trucks...

daria028

Postby daria028 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:39 pm

Awesome, this definitely makes me feel better!

Yup, I had noticed that Rainbow was started by a McEnaney. They've been very easy to talk to and no complaints so far!

On the other hand, I had a couple of unpleasant phone conversations with the other estimators. They were calling to check in with me, but upon finding out that I was not going with their company, they stopped being nice. One of them practically hung up on me! Not very professional, I have to say.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:07 am

Thanks for your reassurances, ECM. The character of the owner is extremely important. I will be hoping that this turns out to be a self-haul.

Return to “Open Community”