Long Island to San Francisco

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
asuen

Long Island to San Francisco

Postby asuen » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:22 pm

Hi everyone, just found this site a while back and I have been reading up on loads of helpful info. I'm going to move from Western Suffolk County, Long Island to north of San Francisco in a few month (as soon as the house is sold), I have some really expensive imported furniture ( a sofa, chaise, queen bed (taken apart), 3 low cabinets, coffee table, plasma TV (in its original box), the rest are just boxes of cloth, books & stuff.

I'm contemplating renting a truck & drive across, but I'm not sure how to pack up the truck properly. How do I stack furniture without risk of damaging them for instance. I think the same issue applies to using Broadway Express.

Just to get some idea on cost, I contacted Hall Lane Moving (United) to come & give me an estimate this coming Saturday. I was going to contact Nassau Worldwide Movers but read on one of the threads that they had 10 complaints on BBB. Diane, if you're reading this or anyone else, I would appreciated it soooo much if you can recommend a couple more company that I can call. And anyone knows any movers that doesn't need to transfer the goods to another truck for cross country trip? Is air ride suspension trucks important?

Thanks so much for the help...

Mark NY-SF

Re: Long Island to San Francisco

Postby Mark NY-SF » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:47 pm

I'll piggyback on this post since I'm doing a very similar move. I'm moving from NYC (midtown Manhattan) to San Francisco in the very near future. I don't have the time to even consider driving myself unfortunately, so I'm planning to hire a full service moving company.

My only quote right now is from Wade Odell Wade (United Van Lines) who came to my apartment earlier this week. Since I'm only moving a studio apartment, I'm close to the minimum weight (2100 lbs), so I might need to pay a bit extra for weight I don't have. I guess that's the downside of using a national carrier for a smaller move.

If anyone has thoughts about "WOW," or any others whom we should consider, please let us know. I'm in the camp that's willing to pay a bit more for a good experience and piece of mind. Thanks in advance for responses and thanks to those responsible for a great site!

Bill O.

Postby Bill O. » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:07 pm

<snip>

Bill - we don't allow moving company people to solicit business for their own companies on MovingScam.com. They can mention other companies as being good if they have personal experience with them, but not their own company. Hope you understand. I realize that this policy differs from the one that Chris Noblit has had in the past on his discussion forum. - Diane (MovingScam moderator)

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:13 pm

For asuen,

I'm not an expert on Long Island but I think Hall-Lane was a good choice for an estimate. Pam Mueller posting as "PMueller" has also said that Bayshore Allied in Hauppage is good (she is an Allied rep in FL and has probably worked with them as a destination agent). People have told me that Bayshore is large and might self-haul your shipment (desirable) so it would probably not be transferred en route. You could send her a PM to ask her about this. We have no reviews of either Hall-Lane or Bayshore.

Yes, air-ride is extremely important. Almost all full-service movers of any size use air-ride trucks for interstate moves, and so does the freight company Broadway Express ( www.broadwayexpress.net ). You might be a good candidate for a Broadway move--there are 178 mostly rave reviews on a sticky at the top of the message board. With your expensive items you should use workers from a professional moving company to load, and maybe pack and crate as well. I suggest contacting Chris Noblit (posts here as "cnoblit") to see whether his company, Avatar Moving Systems (Atlas) in Bohemia, could supply loading labor. You could also get a quote on the whole move if you want. Avatar would be using an Atlas long-haul driver; it would not self-haul.

I would not recommend driving a van across the U.S. With fuel at $2.50 a gallon there's no way you could beat the Broadway price, and it would be a tremendous hassle.

For Mark,

There are good comments on WOW that you may have seen - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7060

If you want to get another quote, I would suggest University Van Lines (Atlas) in Rahway, NJ. That way you would have quotes from both United and Atlas agents. University's review thread is here - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3063 It has a pattern of giving people high GNTE estimates but the people almost always end up paying less.

For both of you,

(1) You should get GNTE quotes. (2) You are on the preferred route for Moovers, Inc., which is a full-service company that has excellent reviews here - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4655
This company is not for everyone because it may not be able to do an in-residence estimate for you (it is HQd in northern CA and sometimes has to work off of other companies' estimates), but it does great work for a reasonable price. I know the people running the company and they are completely trustworthy. This is actually more of a comment for asuen since Mark said that he wasn't very concerned about cost. Moovers would haul the shipment using its own truck and driver, and there would be no transfers unless a shuttle was needed in a congested area of Manhattan (for example). If shuttles are needed, Moovers uses inexpensive rental vans and most people pay only about $200.

asuen435

Postby asuen435 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:57 pm

Hi Diane,
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I looked up Bayshore Allied on BBB, see that they have one complaint in the past 12-36 months, plus some bad comments in this post - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15321
Avatar Moving System also received two complaints on BBB. But I will definitely look into them suppling loading labor for Broadway Express. And I'll check with Moovers, Inc. as well.

I think the only reason that I even considered driving across is because I'll be moving my SUV with the 17 year old family dog on board (with my brother driving) across country anyway, so I might as well have a little convoy, and I "probably" will drive a lot more carefully than a long-haul driver. paying a little more but less grief later is my goal. But since the rental won't be an air-ride truck, I'll think about this a little more.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:26 pm

Hi - one reason that I'm glad Pam Mueller is here is that maybe she can give us some insight into that old comment about the Bayshore Allied workers. I don't think it's necessarily a deal-breaker. Also, one or two BBB complaints is actually very few for companies that do that much business.

I think that long-haul drivers for the van lines actually drive VERY carefully, partly because they can be held responsible for paying damage claims or at least a damage claim is noted on their records. The Broadway drivers are also very good.

asuen435

Postby asuen435 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:35 pm

Thanks for that info, Diane. The funny thing is whenever I see that on BBB, I just keep picturing they might increase that count by one more because of me. (Yeah, I know its silly)

cnoblit

Postby cnoblit » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:17 pm

Diane wrote:...I realize that this policy differs from the one that Chris Noblit has had in the past on his discussion forum...

Hi Diane. If you are referring to my advertising policy at www.ReloRow.com I am sure you understand that ReloRow.com was created for relocation industry professionals to discuss topics pertinent to the relocation industry. ReloRow is not a place for moving consumers...it was not designed for such purposes, therefore advertising is not an issue at ReloRow. However, I do have a hard and fast rule that no one on ReloRow can post advertisments that are directed at www.ReloRow.com members: this is strickly forbidden. FYI. Thanks.
Christopher Noblit
Professional Mover

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:55 pm

Hi, Chris - actually what I was referring to was the old discussion forum that was in place before ReloRow was created, where I remember Bill posting messages just like the one that he posted here. But thanks for clarifying your current policy.

Diane

cnoblit

Postby cnoblit » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:04 pm

Oh :oops:

It always bothered me that bill was using Avatar's hard work to collect business for himself without asking my permission first. That was the negative. The positive was that he always contributed to the disscussion. :roll:
Christopher Noblit
Professional Mover

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:17 pm

Oh, I understand now. Again, thanks for clarifying.

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:39 pm

I read the thread referenced about the negative for Bayshroe Allied, I didn't see where they even contacted them for an estimate. All I could find in the thread was that someone said they didn't look professional.

Bayshore is a top notch agency in the Allied system, they book and haul alot of shipments and have good quality scores to back them up. Allied's quality scores are based on the following scale:

1.00-4.04 Needs Improvement
4.05-4.29 Meets Standards
4.30-4.39 Very Good
4.40-5.00 Excellent

The Bayshore office in Newark, DE is at 4.56! That is excellent!! This score was based off 218 surveys from 2/1/05-2/1/06.

To have a complaint on file is one thing, the resolution is important to consider. All companies from time to time suffer a service failure, no matter how good we try to be, it's what we do after the failure to make things right that is important.

For such a long distance move, I recommend getting at least 3 estimates from reputable providers in your area if you are considering a full service company - check with the big ones: Atlas, United, Allied, etc. Interview each representative and request binding or guaranteed not to exceed quotes. Judge the reps in your home, were they on time, did they confirm their appointment, were they organized, did they listen to your concerns, did they try to help educate you and did they provide helpful information to you.

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:35 pm

Hi Pam,
"All companies from time to time suffer a service failure, no matter how good we try to be, it's what we do after the failure to make things right that is important."
Very well said, I hear you...
Thank you for your advice on evaluating the movers. I'll be sure to get in touch with Bayshore...

asuen435

Postby asuen435 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:39 pm

Sorry, that previous Guest reply was from me. I wasn't paying attention, didn't realized that I wasn't logged in.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:47 pm

Pam, that comment about the workers looking unprofessional isn't what has been bothering me. Rather, it's this post by "ajh" who went to a broker site (topmoving.com) and then was approached by Bayshore. This exchange is from May 2004. Ever since then, I have wondered what was going on.
ajh wrote:well, this is strange. this morning i got a voicemail from "steve" who identified himself as being from "bayshore allied," and he left a callback number 631.231.1313.

i went to the allied website (www.alliedvan.com), and sure enough, there is an agent listed there called:

Bay Shore Storage Warehouse, Inc.
One Corporate Drive
Hauppauge, NY 11788
(631) 231-1313

there is a link to their website, which points you to www.bayshoreallied.com. this is the website for bayshore transportation system, inc., and the website says they are an allied agent, and they have received allied achievement-type awards in the late '90s. but there is no mention on their website of Bay Shore Storage Warehouse, Inc. in Hauppauge, NY. their website only mentions offices in newark, DE and woodbridge, VA.

so i called up bayshore transportation system, inc. (800-523-3319) and spoke to a customer representative to ask them if they are affiliated w/ Bay Shore Storage Warehouse, Inc. in hauppauge, ny, and the woman said no.

what is this all about? Bay Shore Storage Warehouse, Inc. called me as a result of my filling out a form on www.topmoving.com, which caused michael to raise an eyebrow. they are listed as an agent on allied's website, which then links you to a different bayshore (bayshore transportation system, inc.) which has never heard of the first Bay_Shore.

is this an honest mistake? or no.

thanks!

--ajh

p.s. steve is supposed to be at my apartment in a few hours...

MusicMom wrote:You are looking at two different companies. Bay Shore Warehouse is in NY, and Bay Shore Transportation is in Delaware. Where did you find the number for Transportation? It appears as if Warehouse is the one that contacted you as a result of Topmoving.com.

ajh wrote:b/c of michael's suspicions re: topmoving.com, when i got the call from bay shore warehouse--i was expecting an allied agent--i went to the allied website to make sure that bay shore warehouse was in fact an allied agent. it is.

on allied's listing of bay shore warehouse, you can click on "agent details" and then "website." the "website" link goes to bayshore transportation.

--ajh

. . . steve kirschbaum from bay shore storage warehouse inc., an agent for allied van lines, came to my 1BR apartment this afternoon to give me an estimate. is this considered me working "one on one with which ever agent," or is this considered still going through topmoving.com?

in any case, he was here for maybe all of 15 minutes. the estimate he gave me was 2688 pounds, and this is the quote he gave me:

transportation = 3684.87 - 55% = 1658.19
IR surcharge = "x 4%" = 66.33
fuel surcharge = "x 6%" = 99.49
orig fee = 2688 x 17.93% - 55% = 216.88
dest fee = 2688 x 3.96% - 55% = 47.90

mirror carton for oriental screen = 27.19
packing oriental screen = 45.71
unpacking oriental screen = 0

cartons for double mattress and boxspring = 56.38
packing double mattress and boxspring = 15.40
unpacking double mattress and boxspring = 16.90

total for cartons, packing, and unpacking =
161.58 - 55% = 72.72

shuttle = 1132 - 55% = 509.4

grand total = 2670.91
-------------------------

this is based on the 400-N tariff. it is a non-binding estimate. if the actual cost goes over, the most i have to pay is 110% upon delivery and pay the balance within 30 days after delivery (i've seen people on this board talking about this kind of estimate). regarding valuation, this estimate is for "basic coverage," which is $0.60/lb./article. i've read tyrone's posts on the uselessness of this type of valuation. i can also get full value coverage--minimum of $15K--for $181 w/ $0 deductible, $163 for $250 deductible, and $145 for $500 deductible.

he asked me if i had any other estimates, and i said no, he was the first one, but that i had gotten a couple of phone estimate. he told me i should be careful, that there are a lot of bad guys out there.

as i said, he was only here for all of about 15 minutes. he didn't seem to be too anxious to linger. the invoice has an MC number of 15735, which i have just looked up on safersys.org, and it points to allied. i asked him if he had a DOT number, and he pulled out some printed form as if to look it up, and then he wrote down "NYSDOT T-896." this number doesn't correspond to anything on safersys. i guess NYSDOT is different from USDOT? how do i look up the NYSDOT?

he also gave me an allied packet, and i asked him if he had a "rights and responsibilities" thing to give me, and he said it should be in the packet. i looked, and it's not there.

i didn't get the opportunity to ask him about a schedule of other services/surcharges, such as if there could be a long carry charge or a sales charge or anything else.

what do you think? i personally am underwhelemed...

thanks!

--ajh

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1496

Pam, can we trust that the quality scores from Newark, DE, also apply to Hauppage, LI, NY?

Return to “Open Community”