Moving ... opinions on Top Priority (NYC) please

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Moving ... opinions on Top Priority (NYC) please

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:42 pm

First, I want to say what a great site ... so much info and user input ...
Ok, heres my situation.
I need to move my mom from NY to where i live in VA.
Funds are limited, so my choices are limited.
After reading all of the input, and investigating, i have narrowed it down to one moving company based in NY, Top Priority Movers and Storage inc.
Their records arent great, and this could be a scam company, so i contacted them and got them to give me the following:
1. They gauranteed me 1600lb for 750$
2. Gauranteed 3 week delivery time
3. An estimator will go to my moms and sign a gaurantee for the above.

Now, with all of that said, the delivery time is fine with me, as my moms stuff will go into a storage unit near me, and she will be living with me for a few months, so no biggie on that score.
Also, im pretty sure the weight of all her stuff will be under their minimum weight, which is 1500LB, but i got the quote at 1600LB just to be sure.
Lastly, their insurance is only .65 per LB ... not very realistic i know... but they gave me their insurance companies number to get more insurance on the delivery if i wanted, at extra cost of course.

So, with all of that said, can i get some opinions from folks?
Are these gaurantees worth anything? Or is it just nonsense?
Thanks for any input ...

Diane

Re: Moving ... opinions please

Postby Diane » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:03 pm

Are these gaurantees worth anything? Or is it just nonsense?

It's just nonsense. Your quote is way too low and this is a scam about to happen. Run for your life!

This thread is on Top Priority is more than two years old but I'm sure they haven't changed their ways:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=832

Now, what to do. You could try calling Moovers, Inc. to see whether they might have a truck going in your direction at roughly the time when you want to move her things. Here is a thread with contact information and reviews - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4655 They couldn't do the job for $750 but possibly they could do it for around $1000; I'm not sure. This is the cheapest legitimate full-service option I can think of.

It might also be worth it to get a quote on a mobile storage container from ABF at www.upack.com. See ABF review #23 for details and photos.

T.P.M.S.

Postby T.P.M.S. » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:20 pm

Diane, once again you turn people away from using our service, this is not the first or second time, and I think it is very unprofessional that a person of your stature is not willing to properly investigate a company. I say this because I still have the utmost respect for you and the purpose of this message board. Maybe you could find my telephone number and give me a call so we could discuss this further. I would like to repeat that we are a very good company in business over 10 years with an impeccable name and reputation, incorporated on 5/31/1995. We are and have always been licenced both locally and intersate from 1997. We have thousands of recommendation letters on file to back up what I am saying. Please do not tell any of our potential clients to run like hell etc.
Thank you,
Edward
Partner
TOP PRIORITY MOVING & STORAGE INC :D

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:48 pm

I wanted to add that i thought the time frame for delivery was way tooo long, but u said it didn't matter. New York to virginia isn't a very long trip.

Postby 23 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:55 pm

Ed,

Can you please let me know what tariff you are using for this move and how you came up with the flat $750 price?

I am also interested to know where you got $.65/lb coverage?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:36 pm

I think it is very unprofessional that a person of your stature is not willing to properly investigate a company.

How tall does one have to be before one is willing properly investigate a moving company?

Dissatified

Postby Dissatified » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:36 am

Top Priority Movers are a scam. They quote at least 50% of what they will actually charge you and while they're there, they talk in circles, pretend to be giving you a deal, come up with a million reasons why your quote should be higher, discourage you from paying in cash, etc.

I thought I was paying one price (even more than what had been quoted but I was in a rush anyway so it didn't matter) but my credit card ended up being charged 2.5 times as much as they had quoted in the first place. And they told me that I was bound to this price, because I wrote "binding price" abover my signature (I did not write it). AND I gave these guys a huge tip because I thought they had given me such a discount.

Diane, you're right. DO NOT use top priority. And potential customers should run like hell.

Now how exactly do we get them investigated? I'm thinking about suing them.

farrah7031

Re: Moving ... opinions on Top Priority (NYC) please

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:58 am

Disatisfied-

I put together a list of where to complain:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9256

Did you file a claim with Top Priority? If so, what was the result?

Just helping

Postby Just helping » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:17 pm

I think they use the name Platinum Vanlines Inc (platinumvanlinesmoving.com) as well and maybe one more company name..

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:49 pm

Actually, Platinumvanlines.COM is Top Priority, .NET is the CA company. Platinum/CA just got put on the Blacklist, so I had to check out both options.

I don't know WHY Top Priority is using the website www.PlatinumVanLines.com

Domain Name: PLATINUMVANLINES.COM

Administrative Contact :
MCKEON, EDWARD
info@topprioritymoving.com
772 E 93RD STREET
BROOKLYN, NY 11236
US
Phone: 718-240-9201
About Us Page wrote:Fully Licensed and Insured:
DOT NY33035
USDOT 686530
License number is for TOP PRIORITY MOVING & STORAGE INC DBA Name: A PLATINUM VAN-LINES

Return to “Open Community”