Central Moving Systems - move from NYC to SF went great!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
blempert

Central Moving Systems - move from NYC to SF went great!

Postby blempert » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:59 pm

Hello All -

At the end of December my wife and I moved from New York City (Manhattan) to San Francisco. Thought I would share our story:

We spent a lot of time on this site beforehand, so we had at least a clue about how to go about things. We had three companies come and give estimates: Moovers (who later said that they wouldn't be able to move on the day we wanted, University Van Lines, and Central Moving Systems. All were well regarded on these forums, so we felt relatively safe with them. All three were completely professional. They had no trouble giving us binding bids, and were happy to answer all our questions, even when we called back in the few days after they visited. Central Moving Systems ended up being the cheapest, so we went with them.

Let me say, they were great! They called us to set everything up and called again to remind us what paperwork we needed for them. My wife's new job was paying for a percentage of the move, so we decided to splurge and have them pack our stuff up for us, which was absolutely the best move we could have made. The day they were to show up to pack and load our stuff happened to fall in the middle of the NYC transit strike, so their crew got up at 2:00 am to leave New Jersey in time to make it into Manhattan before 5:00 am, when the tunnels were closed to trucks. The guys packing up our stuff did a superb job - they were extremely careful, even with our less valuable items. The crew showed up at about 8:00 am or so, and they had packed and loaded all of our stuff by 4:00 pm.

We ended up moving into our new house in SF a few days late, so we had to arrange for our stuff to be dropped off a few days later than we had originally planned. Central Moving Systems was great about that, too - they were prompt about returning calls and helped us figure out the cheapest way to store stuff until it could be delivered.

The crew they subcontracted to unload our stuff was also incredible. We live at the top of a long (~3 story) flight of stairs, and they didn't complain at all. The guys just showed up and worked. They were happy having my wife and I direct them as they unloaded everything.

Only one item was broken on the trip, but it was an antique table. They had someone come out to look at it the week after I called, and they sent a check immediately.

In short, I was enormously impressed with this company. After reading the forums here about how badly many moving companies treat their customers, I was really quite worried. Luckily, this was the smoothest move ever. To anyone else making a cross country move from New York to California, I can't recommend this company enough. I have no affiliations with Central Moving System; I'm just a lowly graduate student. I just wanted to share a success story for a change!

Thanks to this site for guiding us through the whole process!

-Ben Lempert

Diane

Re: Central Moving Systems - move from NYC to SF went great!

Postby Diane » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:36 pm

To "weem"--you don't seem to be picking up your Private Messages. Can you comment on this company? I would like to add it to my list of well-reviewed NJ movers if you give the go-ahead. I am somewhat confused because I think it used to be a United agent (?) rather than Mayflower.

Return to “Open Community”