HELP!!! # different companies, 2 binding not sure????

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
dsrieder

HELP!!! # different companies, 2 binding not sure????

Postby dsrieder » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:34 pm

This will be my first time using an interstate moving company and I am trying to do all of my home work. I have had ABC/Fry-Wagner AKA United Van lines come out. They were the most expensive and not binding. Then McCormack-Payton Mvg AKA Atlas van lines come out and that sales rep didn't give me any paper work or brochures he just e-mailed me my quote which was binding. Mayflower was out today which the agent is Select Van and Storage. They had the lowest price and it was also binding. They were the lowest by a few hundred. I am going from the KC area to the Atlanta area. I am waiting on North American Van lines to call me. Any advice on who to go with?

David

MusicMom

Re: HELP!!! # different companies, 2 binding not sure????

Postby MusicMom » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:14 am

You should compare what each quote involves to see if they are really the same. For instance, once of the higher prices may include packing, or a shuttle, or something else the estimator thinks may be needed. The lower ones could be leaving these things out.

I don't like that the second company did not give you any paperwork. An emailed quote is fine, but there's a booklet they're supposed to give you, by law. It's called "Your Rights & Responsibilities When You Move". Did any of the others give this to you?

Of those, here's what I see that points to quality:
Select (lowest Binding bid) - one BBB complaint for advertising practices, resolved. In business since 1968.
Fry-Wagner- One BBB complaint for delivery issues, resolved. In business since 1908.
McCormack-Payton - Not enough request for information, nor complaint, to warrant a BBB report. Recipient of the 2005 Milton Hill Quality Award for Atlas members.

A Binding estimae is safer for you than a non-binding, but can you ask them if they can make it a Guaranteed Not To Exceed estimate? This sets the cap like the binding estimate does, but will allow the price to go down if the actual weight is less than estimated.

I hope the pros can chime in here.

dsrieder

Postby dsrieder » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:18 am

The first and last company gave me that booklet. The e-mailed quote did not. The fist quote was so high because he came out with a much higher weight than the other two. Then said it would need to be weighed and that my price would be final then. None of them mentioned shuttle or packing other than the beds and some other cartons that were needed for special items. That all makes sense. They all explained that if there were issues getting the truck to the destination then a shuttle fee would apply. The estimate from Mayflower was a binding estimate with a not to exceed cap of what the estimate was. It could go down but not up based on weight.
Thanks for your help in this.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:09 pm

Here is the report back on the Mayflower agent from one of my confidential sources:
Select is a BIG Mayflower agent; a big booker and a big hauler. Their scores for van operator, packers, estimators, sales, move coordinator, etc. all meet or exceed expectations. Their average score for "willingness to recommend" and "overall move performance" is also above average.

So, I would say that you could comfortably go with Select, although Fry-Wagner and the Atlas agent also appear to be high-quality choices.

dsrieder

Postby dsrieder » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:21 pm

Thanks, that makes me feel better about them. I just read all of that RICO case stuff and mentally takes you places that it's hard to get past.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:35 pm

The Mayflower agent involved in the RICO case is (or was) a known bad apple and not typical in my opinion. There are plenty of good Mayflower agents including Dahill in Brooklyn, Central Moving Systems in NJ, McLaughlin in MA, and Wald in Houston. There are also bad apples in other van lines. Not everyone here would agree with me, but I don't think you should rule out all Mayflower agents because of the RICO case.

Return to “Open Community”