Moving from Oklahoma to Washington DC

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
LR Padilla

Moving from Oklahoma to Washington DC

Postby LR Padilla » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:46 pm

I am in the process of finding a moving company that will take me from Edmond, Oklahoma to Washington, DC. My co-workers have suggested contacting Bekins, Allied, United and Mayflower. Does anybody have any experience with these or other companies in the area?

Diane

Re: Moving from Oklahoma to Washington DC

Postby Diane » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:00 pm

Hi - I don't have any experience, but Bekins is a very low-rated van line overall, so I would tend to rule them out. See these reviews on Epinions - http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Moving_Ser ... y_~reviews

There is an Atlas agent in Oklahoma City and Broken Arrow (Ace Transfer & Storage) that won a World Class award from the van line in 2005. There's also a branch of Armstrong Relocation (United) in Oklahoma City, and Armstrong has a large hauling fleet and a good reputation overall. So I guess from my limited knowledge, Ace and Armstrong would be two likely prospects to get estimates from.

LR Padilla

Postby LR Padilla » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:03 pm

Both Armstrong (United) and Ace (Atlas) game me very similar estimates. The difference is that Armstrong can not guarantee that my car will go in the same trailer with my stuff, and would necessitate a separate vehicle carrier. This is less convenient.

They told me the local agents each would use to unload in the the DC area would be Paxton (for Atlas) and either Hilldrup or VonParis (for United) .

I am leaning towards hiring Atlas, since they'll take my car. Their guaranteed not to exceed estimate is a bit higher, though.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:09 pm

I would go with Atlas. Armstrong will probably just send your car with a separate auto transporter. You don't want that. If you have GNTEs from both companies the final charges will depend on the weight and discount level, primarily. Are both companies offering the same discount, like 62% for example?

Also, just FYI people have posted that you can get free full replacement value valuation coverage with Atlas agents if you have AAA and are shipping at least 5000 pounds interstate.

LR Padilla

Postby LR Padilla » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:28 pm

Thanks for the tip. I will check with AAA on that coverage.

The Atlas agent will guarantee the car going in the same trailer. The United agent said it might go in the trailer, but they wouldn't know until they assign a driver and know what else is going in that trailer. So, i there is nothing else, they'll put my car. Otherwise, they'll hire a separate car carrier. I didn't like that - as soon as I involve a 3rd party, it gets weird and I may not get it at the same time.

Atlas applied a 67% discount. United applied a 63% discount.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:35 pm

Oh, well, then, go with Atlas, and if you can get the free FVR coverage, so much the better. I have heard, though, that if they give you the latter they may lower the discount by a couple of percentage points, so you would have to weigh the two pretty carefully.

I wonder why Atlas' quote is higher if the discount is higher? Maybe they're charging you more to transport the car (?). If so, it's probably worth it to have the car delivered with your other things.

LR Padilla

Postby LR Padilla » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:07 pm

I think the difference is negligible, and I can live with it because it is based on the "shuttle charges". Atlas will charge $504 for a shuttle service on each end (>$1000 for the shuttle). United put in a $387 on the Oklahoma end, but left it as a "possible" additional charge of $387 on the other end (not factored in the total).

The Atlas guy was more realistic, saying that, depending on time of day, they might be able to back up the trailer into our apt complex and not use the shuttle, but that most addresses on the receiving end (zip code in highly populated DC) will probably need a shuttle. They also estimated the car differently - Atlas added the 3,500 lb of car into the total freight weight (for 9000 lb total), while United estimated it without the car at 4800 lbs and then added $1200 for hauling the car.

(this makes me think that United WILL put the car in a carrier PERIOD)

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:24 pm

What is the location of the Ace agent you are dealing with, so I can refer to it accurately in my summary post on OK when I get around to doing it eventually?

You know, it's not impossible that the Ace agent might be able to lower the quote to approximate the other one since the difference is only a couple of hundred dollars. Maybe he could throw in the FVR coverage without lowering the discount, for example.

Are both companies going to self-haul your shipment using their own trucks and drivers? That is desirable (fewer transfers of goods).

anonymous1

Postby anonymous1 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:31 pm

In DC if you are moving "in the loop" it WILL be a shuttle at destination.

...Also (as a side-note) anywhere in the 5 boroughs of NYC is a shuttle. You want the shuttle included in the guaranteed cost of your move.

Also if your car doesn't go on the truck with the remainder of your household goods make SURE it's not going with a third party company because then your mover will be unable to help you if there is a problem. You want your moving company hauling your car, not some company you've never heard of. Go with the company who guarantees the car will travel with your HHGs and then GET THAT IN WRITING.

Return to “Open Community”