research questions -- chicago to nyc

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
addison

research questions -- chicago to nyc

Postby addison » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:38 pm

Hi,

I'm moving from Chicago to Manhattan in April. I am planning on going with a major van line. Do I want to research local agents on both ends of the move, or only in Chicago? Will it be a different staff handling things there?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

goldminegutted

Re: research questions -- chicago to nyc

Postby goldminegutted » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:35 am

Only Chicago, because you should expect to get in house estimates for your quotes. If they don't come there's a very good chance they'll end up saying you added things not on your inventory when you didn't, and then the price will soar.

As far as I know you won't really have to deal with any "staff" on the receiving end- the driver will still obviously be with your stuff, and they maybe have a couple of people come in to unload, but if you trust the company you're going with there should be no problems. You could always check the performance of unloaders on the receiving end if you have extra time, but what matters is that you find a company in Chicago that can deal with you in person. Be careful because from what I've read, there are quite a few scammers in and around your area.

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:16 am

Thanks...I'm getting that feeling too, just from reading this board. Have I missed something, or are there very few Chicago movers who people have been happy with?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:28 pm

You haven't missed anything. We are still looking . . .

In cities infested with a lot of scammers like NYC, Chicago, and Miami, there seems to be a downward pressure on quality. The reputable movers often get sucked into offering large discounts to compete with the lowballing scammers and then the good drivers don't want to take the moves because there is little profit in it for them.

In addition, drivers have posted here that many don't like to drive the Chicago-NYC corridor because of congestion, toll roads, parking tickets, and general hassle. Routes where there are wide open interstates are much more popular.

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:58 pm

Oh no. I wish we could do it ourselves, but we can't physically do it.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:01 pm

Hi - are you the same as "addison" who started this thread? It would be good if you could sign in with a name so we can keep things straight.

I suggest that you call Moovers, Inc. to see whether they could help you. They are located in Concord, CA, but they do service your route. Here is their review thread with contact information -
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4655

You could also try the Wm. Meyers (Paul Arpin) company mentioned by Lori in the other thread. Your move is short enough that I think it would probably be OK. I like the look of that company (MC #148259). It was started in 1926 and did almost 1300 intra-state (within IL) moves in 2004 with no complaints, according to the Illinois Commerce Commission's website at http://www.icc.illinois.gov/mc/househol ... c_nbr=6109 The Meyers website at www.meyersmovers.com says that the president of Wm. Meyers serves on the Board of Directors of the Illinois Movers and Warehousemen's Association.

addison

Postby addison » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:37 pm

Yes, that's me. Thanks so much.

I'd like to ask one other question...a friend of mine had a nightmarish exprience with an overflow move. There wasn't room on the truck for all her stuff (despite in-house estimate) and the overflow truck took three additional weeks to arrive. They told her later that something like this happening was as rare as a moving truck catching on fire. Does this sound right to you?

Finally, I'd also be curious if anyone here has had an experience with Graebel's suburban chicago agent.

Thanks again.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:46 pm

Hi - I don't know anything about Graebel. Sorry. It doesn't have a location in NYC but I think in CT and NJ.

It's rare for there to be an overflow, but several cases have been reported on this messageboard. It usually happens during the summer months when the companies are overextended. All it takes is one customer who ships more than he/she originally showed to the estimator, and then the people down the line are affected. I don't honestly think it's something you should worry about. It's much more common than a trailer catching on fire, however.

addison

Postby addison » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:35 pm

Thanks.

I thought you might find this interesting. I called Burrows to see if they'd do the long distance move. They said no, then immediately recommended Reebie. Which surprised me, given what I've seen on this site.

addison

Postby addison » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:42 pm

We had our first two estimators come today. One of them told my husband that New York City law requires use of shuttles in NYC. Does anyone know if this is true?

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:55 pm

We've had a lot of discussions on this subject. The short answer is that almost all agents of major van lines will tell you that a shuttle is needed for deliveries in New York City, at least in Manhattan, and you can't argue them out of it.

Broadway Express does not normally use shuttles except in parts of Lower Manhattan where the streets are very narrow. Moovers, Inc. also gets away without using shuttles most of the time.

Addison

Postby Addison » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:28 pm

Thanks for the insight.

I'll report back when all my estimates are in.

Addison

Postby Addison » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:27 pm

I wonder if anyone can offer advice. We've narrowed our search down to two comparable estimates on a 5800 pound pack & move from Chicago to New York. Both Adco and Arpin have been professional and helpful, and we suspect our concerns may have more to do with the realities of this move than the companies themselves. Still, we would appreciate your insight and feedback. The red flag with Arpin was that my husband was told that to avoid paying a local agent, the drivers sometimes rent the smaller shuttle truck themselves from U-haul, then transfer the load in a hotel parking lot. This sounded a little disconcerting. The concern with Adco is that because our load is not considered big, they have been slow to respond with pickup and delivery dates. They are also requiring a week-long pick-up-to-delivery window, and have said they might have to store our stuff in a warehouse for a few days before putting it on a shuttle and delivering to New York. Ideally we would like to avoid this, but don't know if it is possible.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:16 am

Addison wrote:The red flag with Arpin was that my husband was told that to avoid paying a local agent, the drivers sometimes rent the smaller shuttle truck themselves from U-haul, then transfer the load in a hotel parking lot.

This is common and nothing to worry about.
The concern with Adco is that because our load is not considered big, they have been slow to respond with pickup and delivery dates. They are also requiring a week-long pick-up-to-delivery window, and have said they might have to store our stuff in a warehouse for a few days before putting it on a shuttle and delivering to New York.

I would say this is less desirable because it sounds as if they will hold your goods in their warehouse in Chicago waiting for the van line driver to swing by. Then in NYC you will probably have another transfer to a smaller van as with Arpin. It would be better to have the van line driver pick the goods up directly from your residence (fewer transfers = less chance of damage and delay).

I would tend to go with whichever company (if either) can assure you that your goods will be picked up directly from your residence by the van line driver.

Addison

Postby Addison » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:00 am

Hi there. I just wanted to report back to say we decided to go with Adco (agent of United.) We are supposed to take delivery a week from today, and I'll report back to let you know how it went. So far everyone at the office there has been very helpful and professional.

Return to “Open Community”