Move from Northern NJ to Bedford MA Review

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
sortimat

Move from Northern NJ to Bedford MA Review

Postby sortimat » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:43 pm

I was asked to do a review so here it is:

I recently moved from Wayne, NJ to Bedford, MA. I decided to rent a truck and move myself. I've rented from U-Haul several times and every single time has been a horrible experience. After reading these boards I booked a truck with Penske.

I booked a 16' truck online and a week or two later called to change it to a 22' truck after there were some changes to my move. It was very easy, took about 2 mins. The truck was $585 for one-way, two days, and unlimited mileage after the AAA discount.

I went to pick up the truck and was in and out in about 5 mins. The truck was new, had about 30k miles on it and was very clean. Far far better than any U-Haul that I've ever rented or seen. The truck drove very well, it was comfortable and was pretty quiet for a truck of that size.

I had originally planned on moving into a furnished apartment in downtown Boston but my plans changed and I was going to move into a regular apartment. I decided to hire movers to help me unload the truck in Bedford. I contacted several companies and recieved no response except from Gentle Giant, no one else seemed to want to do just unloading work. They were more expensive than some other companies I've seen ($137/hr for 2 guys or $204/hr for 3 guys during the weekend). They seemed to have a very good reputation so I booked 2 movers.

They were a little expensive but they were very very good and very very worth it. They unloaded my poorly packed truck very efficiently and managed to get all of my furniture up a very very difficult staircase fairly easily. In less than 2 hours they unloaded all of our stuff for a 2 bedroom apartment (which was on the 2nd and 3rd floors), put all the furniture where we wanted it, and put the furniture together (that we could find the hardware for).

Overall this was the best move I've ever had.

Diane

Re: Move from Northern NJ to Bedford MA Review

Postby Diane » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:22 pm

Thanks very much for getting back to us. I'll add your review to our rental van thread and I've already added your remarks about Gentle Giant to my summary post about MA movers.

Return to “Open Community”