Uhaul trailers and hitches

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
KTsmilez

Postby KTsmilez » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:48 am

My husband and I are moving from Scottsdale, AZ to New Haven, CT and we don't have too much stuff. We think we've found the cheapest way to go: Uhaul trailers and hitches. We could probably load all our stuff into one trailer, but to reduce the strain on the car we'll get two trailers. We both have ample SUV's. I want to know if anyone has had problems with buying hitches from Uhaul and then using their trailers? Any idea how their trailers (the 5x8' ones) effect the mpg? We average around 20mpg now, should we expect it to drop to 10mpg with the filled trailer? Are there any other companies we should look into? We live in an apartment now and both BE and ABF won't fit in our parking lot; hence, that's why we're considering hauling trailers. Thanks for you help! This website has been WONDERFUL in helping us plan this move.

Diane

Re: Uhaul trailers and hitches

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:00 am

Hi - someone else will answer you about the trailers, but I just want to make sure you don't overlook the possibility of using an ABF mobile storage container or two (see ABF review #23 for info and photos). Each container fits easily into a parking space and the forklift that delivers them can leave the ABF flatbed trailer to move the container into place in the parking space. In other words, the whole flatbed trailer doesn't have to enter the parking lot. Just a thought. Each container holds up to 2000 pounds or about the equivalent of a studio apartment.

goldminegutted

Postby goldminegutted » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:26 am

But if this poster is like me, they have assigned parking, and only two spots, meaning that so long as their cars are using the spots, there'd be nowhere to put the containers. Plus if the parking underground, a forklift probably couldn't get in there at all. If I'm wrong and you can get an extra parking spot and are in the open air, Diane's idea does sound good, though. And then you wouldn't have to deal with U-haul, which would be great cause they're a rotten company. The trailers might not be as bad as their trucks, but I'm guessing their reservation policy is the same- meaning that even if you reserve something and put money down for it, there's no actual reservation made and you can show up all ready to go the day of your move and have them tell you to wait a week for a trailer to show up.

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:32 am

Make sure that the trailer ball on the receiver can accept the size hitch on the trailer. If I remember they require a 2 inch ball and most standard are a 1 7/8. They do this so most of the people would then rent their truck because they wait until the last day to go get the trailer and are stuck in a jam because of time. Suggest you go and see what size they are to be sure.

Also want a class 4 hitch for the optimum weight limit. . Make sure the wiring from your vehicle has the correct connector on the end. You probably will need an adaptor to match their system.

MPG will be 10 or less. So get ready to watch the needle drop quick and when you are close to a 1/4 tank fill it up. I had a moment of panic when I missed a stop and the next gas station was 40 miles away. Seeing the needle on E is not a happy feeling.

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:34 am

Reservations that were not honored at U-Haul has left many customers less than satisfied from consumers that I've seen posts from. The trucks being overbooked at the end of the month seem to be more of a problem than trailers with my experience.

I have never had an issue with U-Haul where a reserved truck or trailer was not ready and waiting on me (I may just have been lucky the 3-4 times in my life that I've used them).

You will need a 2" ball. I've been to pick up a trailer forgetting this, it delayed me slightly. I either purchased another 2" ball (even though I had one in the garage at home) or returned home to pick it up. U-Haul's service man has always changed the ball for me with no complaints (and I was never charged for him using the power drill to disconnect/connect the ball). The only word of caution, the tool they use make the ball very tight! My husband was not able to take the 2" ball off when I got home. I went back to the U-Haul and they kindly removed it for me and even torqued his ball for the boat back on.

Gas mileage will notice a difference with the hauling of loaded trailer. Depending on the weight, it could cut your gas mileage in half. Alot depends on the terrain and the way you drive also. I'm in Florida so I didn't have any steep inclines.

When you go to pick up the trailer, do it in daylight hours. When they assign the trailer to you, and before leaving the facility, get inside the trailer and shut the door. Look for any light coming through the trailer - going the distance you are going you want to make sure there are no holes in the trailer that may cause damage to your belongings.

For those of you who know me - I know this is an odd post for me. Just because I'm in the moving industry doesn't mean I always have a truck and crew at my disposal! This does not mean that I don't trust my trucks or crews though. It seems my children always need something done in the middle of summer when all of our trucks and crews are running at full capacity, which doesn't leave me with many options, other than to do it myself.

The key to all relocations, with a full service mover or equipment rental and doing it yourself, plan ahead and make reservations early.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:24 am

Not sure if this is still valid or not, but at one point Uhaul was not renting to Explorer owners because of the fears of rollovers.

KTsmilez

Postby KTsmilez » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:30 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far.

I've looked at the ABF mobile containers and given their dimensions, we'd still need a larger unit to transport some of our items; we need a trailer. If we go with one ABF container and a trailer, instead of two trailers, I estimate we'd be paying ~$600 more. I wonder if this is worth it? We would have one less car towing stuff and one less hassel with UHaul. However, we're pinching pennies here and if we call Uhaul every day, starting 2 weeks before our move to "confirm" there will be a trailer there for us on our moving day maybe it's best to go with Uhaul? We could always request the pick up day a few days before our actual departure date, too. We are planning on getting the hitches installed way before the move just to make sure we have the right sized ball and wiring.

Does this sound like a reasonable way to go about dealing with Uhaul? Thanks ever so!

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:37 pm

Not to get this thread off track, but have you checked with Broadway Express to see what they would charge for what you have? It might be cheaper than what you're proposing if you figure in the cost of fuel.

Also, that is a route traveled by Delancey Street and Moovers, Inc. It might be worth getting quotes from them.

KTsmilez

Postby KTsmilez » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:07 pm

Moovers, Inc and Delancy are two different moving companies, right? You make a good point... Maybe we can plea with our apartment manager and see if we could get a one of these ABF, BE, Moovers Inc or Delancy trucks in our parking lot for half a day while we load our stuff. I like the sounds of the BE driver staying near by to move the truck if needed. If we don't have to trail our belongings across country, put strain on the cars, and spend lots on gas, we'd love it! I just wonder if we could get all our stuff loaded and moved for $1500-1800. Might these companies store our goods in New Haven until we have a place to live?

Thanks, Diane. We'll be making phone calls tomorrow!

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:31 pm

BE would charge $1949 to move 10 feet (about 4000-5000 pounds, or about the size of a 2BR apartment) and $1656 for 7 feet. But they are going to raise their minimum to 10 feet soon, if they haven't already done so. BE is closed on weekends so if you want to talk with them about it you should call today.

Most complexes will let you leave a truck there for the time it takes to load. Leaving an ABF trailer there overnight is another matter. However, keep in mind that the BE trucks are very large--70 to 80 feet long. If there are tight turns and low overhanging branches they sometimes can't get into the complex.

ABF can provide storage of the mobile storage containers but not, I believe, of the trailers because it would tie up the trailers for too long. BE can provide storage in IL but I think it would be too costly in your case. They can deliver you into a mini-storage unit if you want.

I think Delancey and Moovers (as full-service moving companies) would have to charge well over $1800 for what you have, assuming that it's around 4000 pounds.

Doug

Postby Doug » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:22 pm

KT,

If you do go with U-Haul then you need to go to the facility that is to supply your trailer. DO NOT USE THE ON-LINE OR PHONE RESERVATIONS, THEY OVER BOOK AND DO NOT CARE IF YOU ARE DELAYED I did one time and when I went to pick up my rental non was to be found. The owner of the facility said that they do not know what I have at that specific time so when I called customer no-service I was sent 15 miles away from where I was to get my reservation fulfilled 4 hours later. They did not apologize and all they felt was that they got my reservation regardless of my inconvinience so the fee was to stay.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:42 pm

I strongly agree with what Doug has posted about U-Haul. Do not rely on their telephone booking system, which several people have said is a fantasyland with no connection to reality. See our rental van review thread for posts to this effect, including one by a U-Haul employee, as I recall.

jon_w

Postby jon_w » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:25 pm

A quick follow up to an earlier post regarding Explorers.. I got burned by this in January. I have a 1998 Explorer 4x4 and reserved a trailer. Then when I went to pick it up at the local dealer, the U-Haul web based registration tool refused to allow the rental. A message said that U-Haul has had too many lawsuits with Explorers and now have a flat rule against using them to tow trailers. So watch out!
Jon

goldminegutted

Postby goldminegutted » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:37 pm

Also a note...when you say "not spend so much gas and put strain on the cars", would you want Broadway to move the cars for you as well? If so you'll need a LOT more space, and I think it'll be way more money than you are wishing to spend. You may have to drive your cars regardless, because as far as I know..what you're looking to spend ($1,500-$1,800) would be what it costs to move one SUV vehicle, not two, and definitely not all of your stuff on top of it. Stuff to think about.

Does Penske rent trailers at all?

Also...Broadway Express wouldn't be able to store your things unless you're wanting them stored in the Midwest where they are located (I believe it says on their site that they can store your things there, but if it isn't on the way it might cost more mileage-wise) but then again, U-haul couldn't store your stuff either. Whichever option you choose, you could have the load delivered to a public storage facility, instead of your home, and then rent a small truck later to do the shuttle back to your home.

KTsmilez

Postby KTsmilez » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:12 am

Thank you everyone for helping us out with this decision. We will follow everyone's advice, including verifying if Penske rents trailers. Excellent help!

Return to “Open Community”