Moving parents from Columbus, GA to TN

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
kssams

Moving parents from Columbus, GA to TN

Postby kssams » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:32 am

Hello, again....just wanted to make sure that one of the movers we are planning on contacting is okay. They seem to be. The name is Livingston Storage and Transfer in Columbus, GA, DOT #92773. Someone please let me know! I'd just as soon not call them if anyone has any bad info on them.

Thanks! :mrgreen:

Diane

Re: Moving parents from Columbus, GA to TN

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:42 am

Hi - nothing bad (OR good) has been posted about Livingston here, but they look OK to me. Their safety record on www.safersys.org looks much better than it does on the FMCSA website that you quoted in your other thread. If you plug their MC #133659 into safersys you can see it for yourself. Then if you click on "Licensing & Insurance" at the upper right you'll see that they have been licensed to do interstate moves since 1980, a very good sign. If you send a PM to "23" he may be able to look up the company's internal quality ratings from the van line.

kssams

Postby kssams » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:57 am

Okay, thanks so much for the info!

Doug

Postby Doug » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:38 am

http://www.psc.state.ga.us/transportati ... rsdata.asp

this is only local information to Georgia, not related to interstate. Not many moves in a year, they are registered in the state.

http://www.sos.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/corp.asp?
go to this site and click on Corperations, insert desired name and search will show below or for any registered company.

REMEMBER, JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE LISTED DOES NOT INSURE ANYTHING, SAME AS FOR FMCSA OR AMSA.

LIVINGSTON STORAGE AND TRANSFER CO., INC. (DOMESTIC PROFIT) Officers
4301 ALLIED DR
COLUMBUS, GA 31906

Control # H102811

Registered Agent Agent Address Agent County
LIVINGSTON, CLIFF JR
9585 WARM SPRING RD
MIDLAND, GA 31820
HARRIS COUNTY

Title Name Address
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER

LIVINGSTON, CLIFF JR 9585
WARM SPRINGS RD
MIDLAND, GEORGIA 31820

CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER
LIVINGSTON, CLIFF JR
9585 WARM SPRINGS RD
MIDLAND, GEORGIA 31820

SECRETARY
LIVINGSTON, THOMAS
2315 19TH STREET
COLUMBUS, GEORGIA 31906

kssams

Postby kssams » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:46 am

Doug, thanks for this info. I also used it to check on the other company we are considering. This is a WONDERFUL message board, not to mention a wonderful website! And all because my husband left the Money magazine open and I happened to see the article! :D

Doug

Postby Doug » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:29 pm

kssams,

Do tell who the other company would be. Lots of companies in the Gwinnett/Fulton county area that are real problem childs.

BTW, would Sams be your last name and have any relatives in Suwanee?

kssams

Postby kssams » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:20 am

No they aren't in Gwinnett - I saw all those awful companies on the list! My parents are in Muscogee County (Columbus). The other company I have called is McCarley. I'm also going to call a company called Roy's that is here in Johnson City that we have used and my husband's company has used to move people. We know they are okay.

Yes my last name is Sams - how did you know that??! We used to live in Suwanee, about 12 years ago. Don't really have close relatives - my 1/2 brother's adopted daughter and her husband live in that area (I'm thinking Lawrenceville but could be wrong).

So fess up about knowing my last name....

kssams

Postby kssams » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:23 am

Well I guess you could figure it out from my screen name...probably ought to change that!

Doug

Postby Doug » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:32 am

kssams,

Yes I figured it via the user name, however my wife corrected me :roll: on the spelling of the name which was Samms. Our old next door neighbor is a Georgia native and I could not remeber wher he grew up in Georgia but moved to Suwanee. Thats why I threw that inquiry out.

You did mention that your husbands company has a regular service they use. I would persue that as an option. They obviously already have a good working rep, so that will favor you since they would not want a ny bad waves happening.

Regards and good luck

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:54 pm

kssams,

Be sure to tell us your impressions of the estimators and which company you end up using so I can add your comments to my GA review thread. We don't have any reviews of companies in your area of GA--only Atlanta.

kssams

Postby kssams » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:13 pm

Yes, I will be glad to let you know my thoughts on the companies we get quotes from!

kssams

Postby kssams » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:16 pm

Doug wrote:kssams,

Yes I figured it via the user name, however my wife corrected me :roll: on the spelling of the name which was Samms. Our old next door neighbor is a Georgia native and I could not remeber wher he grew up in Georgia but moved to Suwanee. Thats why I threw that inquiry out.

I did know that some of the Sams were in GA, however, this bunch spells it with just one "m". In fact, the only other Samms I know of is the actress Emma Samms :) .

kssams

Postby kssams » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:18 am

Okay, I have dealt with a couple of the moving companies in Columbus, GA. I first contacted McCarley, which actually is a United Van Lines Company. I intially spoke with a man there - he was very helpful and professional, and we set up an appt. for him to come out while I was down there helping my parents get everything out of the attic, etc. He arrived on time, wrote down everything we want to move and they will need to pack, and suggested we get moving insurance. He called yesterday with a quote, and recommend an amount they should insure. The only negative I could see was that he said the rate quoted might go up by 10% in May...that they wouldn't know until then. I assume this is because it's a summer move and United is going to be more busy then, but it seems to me if they've quoted a price, then that's what it ought to be. Any thoughts from anyone on that?

The other company I contacted was Livingston. The girl who answered the phone took my information. In fact, she would ask a question, then put me on hold, then come back and ask another question, put me on hold, ad infinitum. I suspect that she was giving the answers to someone as she got them. She said someone would call back, which they never did. Apparently they aren't interested. It may be that because it's a military town that they stay busy enough with that. I don't know. However, I was NOT impressed by the way they handled this at all.

Anyway, I hope this information is of some use. Thanks to everyone for helping!

Karen

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:38 am

Karen,

People in the industry have posted that quotes are usually good for only 60 days. Also, the various van lines often dictate what discount levels can be offered by their agents. That is probably what the McCarley estimator was talking about. There's nothing shady about it. Good luck! And thanks for your comments about Livingston. This is just one of many cases we have seen here where companies with a lot of military or national account business have seemed not too interested in booking moves paid for by individuals.

Return to “Open Community”