great move with Rainier

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
gill

great move with Rainier

Postby gill » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:01 pm

A great move..

Just to let you know that we have just received our shipment of household goods from Md to N Ireland with Rainier.

We had door-to-door quotes from Wheaton, Sterling Int'l and Rainier. Sterling and Wheaton both quoted approx $10750 based on a weight of 13000lbs in a 40ft container. (Cu ft were 1840 and 2077 respectively, not including ins). This included a packing service and all materials.

Rainier's quote was much more affordable, and because of the good reccommendations on this site, I felt they were not low-balling just to get the business. Their estimated volume was 1950CF in a 40 ft container, and included all packing and materials. They gave us a door-to-door quote of $7850 and a door-to-port option of $5850, excuding insurance.

After a bit of research, we went for the door-to-port option. Using the shipping company, they arranged for customs clearance, terminal handling charges, agent charge and haulage (95 miles from the port) all for 380stg (approx $645).

So including insurance of $23 per $1000, we have paid about $7045 for a very full 40ft container from Md to N Ireland. Excellent value. In addition, the local movers (Aarid Enterprises) in Baltimore were efficient, professional and did a great job.

This was also done under a very tight timescale. After one contract falling through on our house, another one came much quicker than expected, and from initial contact to settlement was just under 4 weeks. Doug was helpful in answering my many queries, and kept me informed throughout.

My initial concerns about our goods being held to ransom didn't happpen and we paid exactly what we were quoted.

All in all, as stress-free as it could have been!

Hope this helps someone like me...

Gill

Diane

Re: great move with Rainier

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:35 pm

You can be assured that it will. That is a terrific price and confirms what we have gathered about Rainier's sharp pricing. I'll add your review to Rainier's review thread.

CallumWest

Postby CallumWest » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:43 pm

who was the destination agent in the UK?

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:06 am

I contacted the shipping company used by Rainier who were Mediterranean Shipping Company. The have an office in Belfast and I called them direct. They then arranged customs clearance and haulage - very efficient and accurate with charges.
The posts I had read on this site concerned me a little, giving me the impression that if I chose the door-to-port option I would have nothing but hassle and extra expenses, and would be better off paying the door-to-door rate. It was very straightforward and less expensive for me.
Gill

Gill

Postby Gill » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:27 am

To clarify point above..

I didn't deliberately choose MSC, I used them because that's whose ship my container was on. I didn't know who it was until I received details of the sailing from Rainier once my stuff was on its way.

Gill

Return to “International Moves”