Moving from Detroit to Florida-QUOTES

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
velociraptor

Moving from Detroit to Florida-QUOTES

Postby velociraptor » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:41 am

Hi,
I have taked to the below companies and have listed the quotes. ALl the below are quoting a 65% discount.All companies gave me a Not to exceed price and a rate reduction clause at approx $37/100pds.

CORRIGAN (united van lines)
Agent: Nancy Hill
RATE: 60CENTS/POUND
DECLARED VALUE: 20,000
0 DEDUCTIBLE: 223
250 DEDUCTIBLE: 156
500 DEDUCTIBLE: 123
W/O PACKING: APPX 375 LESS
PACKING: 438.13
TOTAL NOT TO EXCEED: 2549.2
DAYS TO DELIVER: 9
ESTIMATED WEIGHT: 3224
CUBIC FEET: 496(7.7 pds /cft)
TOTAL ITEMS: 63

MORSE Moving (Allied Van lines)
Agent: Jim VanWyck
RATE: 60 CENTS/POUND
DECLARED VALUE: 20000
0 DEDUCTIBLE: 216
250 DEDUCTIBLE: 151
500 DEDUCTIBLE: 136
PACKING NO QUOTE
TOTAL NOT TO EXCEED: 2238.71 (w/o packing)
DAYS TO DELIVER: 4-11 DAYS
ESTIMATED WEIGHT: 3276
CUBIC FEET: 468(7.7pds/cft)
TOTAL ITEMS: 60

STEVENS MOVING
Agent: Dave Byers
RATE: 60 CENTS/POUNDS
DECLARED VALUE: 35,000(INCLDES CAR)
0 DEDUCTIBLE: 116.49
250 DEDUCTIBLE: 247
500 DEDUCTIBLE: 194
W/O PACKING: APPX 320 LESS
PACKING
TOTAL NOT TO EXCEED: 2600 with car i add another 1100
DAYS TO DELIVER: 3-15 DAYS(5 DAY GUARANTEE)
ESTIMATED WEIGHT: 3500 +3000 pds for car
CUBIC FEET: 480(7.7 pds/cft)
TOTAL ITEMS 70

I also taked to DAS for just the car and they are quoting

Terminal - Terminal: 795
Terminal-Door: 1024
Door-Door: 1091
and this open trailer transport.

Yet to get a quote from TnT.

All the agents that came home were very nice and walked us thru the moving process. They are all open to us packing. They will load and unload at both ends. Even if we pack they will still pack heavy items before they load.

Stevens did tell us that the car can be put into the trailer so it will be closed shipping. Since my car only weighs 2600 pds i am hoping to get a discount. At this point i have narrowed down my options to Corrigans and Stevens. Once i decide about the car i will go with one of them.

If any of you have any advise please let me me know. I will post more info after i talk to TnT and other car companies and detail the entire load and move experience...Cheers

goldminegutted

Re: Moving from Detroit to Florida-QUOTES

Postby goldminegutted » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:49 pm

For the sake of staying cohesive, the poster's original thread is here:

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7403

When you reply in a thread, even if it's old and not on the first page anymore, it bumps it up to the top and everybody will check it to see what the updates are. No need to make a new thread if it's still the same topic. :)

I'll look up the companies a little later, or someone else will probably be along to do it shortly. I think the general conscensus of what I've read on these boards is that Corrigan's is a great company.

You can also use the "search feature" at the top of this board and input all the companies' names to see what's been said about them, in the meantime.

velociraptor

Postby velociraptor » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:12 am

I spoke to TNT and they are quoting
798 terminal to terminal and their prices are similar to DAS for door to Terminal and door to door.
I am also having Rose moving come and do an estimate. I think its best to weight options of using a auto transporter vs a full service move. Rental car costs have to also be taken into consideration while waiting for the car to arrive separate from the household goods. Any thoughts

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:30 am

As long as the company knows how to tie down the auto to prevent damage and is really going to move it in the same trailer with your household goods, I would vote for sending it with the moving company even if it costs a little more.

bill

Postby bill » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:37 pm

hi new here and have worked in the industry for 21. years. in my exp.
in the USA corrigans is a very reputable moving company.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:56 pm

Bill, are you an owner-operator, and if so, for which van line? Thanks for your opinion.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:03 pm

Bill's the one from Canada that was posting advertisements earlier today (they were removed). He's the owner of that company.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

velociraptor

Postby velociraptor » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:05 pm

Diane, Working out the costs i might be spending a 100 dollars more on moving everything in the same truck. This might also make me feel more comfortable.
Stevens is telling me that they will secure the car in the trailor and construct a overhead where goods can be stored. My question was how strong is that over head and can it break onto my car. They tell me its no problem and they have done it before. Just waiting for rose to give me an estimate and then i will know for sure..

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:15 pm

Hi - it's common for companies to construct plywood decking above the car where lightweight items can be loaded. Broadway Express does it all the time. The decking is normally supported on metal bars called cargo bars or load bars and it should be installed at least 8 inches above the roof of the car in case the car bounces up in transit. You can see one of these bars at the top right in this photo (taken at another moving company). In that case the bar was being used to support a canoe directly and there was no plywood.

velociraptor

Postby velociraptor » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:34 pm

Thanks for the pic. yes stevens did mention cargo bars and plywood decks. I will keep the 8in in mind when they do load. If i pack then the price seems attractive. They also told me that even if i pack they will still pack the couches and mattresses. so thats good. Wow lots of information to absorbThanks everyone

velociraptor

Postby velociraptor » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:26 am

I had a questiong regarding the loaders. Do they need to be tipped for loading and unloading goods. IF so what is the norm followed. Can anyone please advice

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:44 am

Hi - the norm varies and is much higher in areas like New York City. In your area with your amount of stuff I would suggest maybe $20 per loader if they do a good job--not more than that. You could also ask your sales rep for advice.

velociraptor

Postby velociraptor » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:36 am

Rose (Allied van lines)
Agent:
RATE: 60CENTS/POUND
DECLARED VALUE: 20,000
0 DEDUCTIBLE: 223
TOTAL NOT TO EXCEED with out packing: 2600
DAYS TO DELIVER: 4-7 days
ESTIMATED WEIGHT: 3440
With Car: 4600

I think i will go with corrigan. i am still working with their agents

velociraptor

Postby velociraptor » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:55 pm

Hi,

My move is scheduled with Corrigan. They are moving for $2321.31. I have to pack everything except for the matteresses. They will still pack the furniture with padding and plastic wrap. They have told me that delivery will be between 4-9 days. If there is a delay they will compensate me for it. Its is a TPG, GNTE estimate. Move is set for the 28th or the 29th. I will post information on how the move goes. Thanks everyone
Cheerio

velociraptor

Postby velociraptor » Tue May 02, 2006 9:40 pm

Hi All

Sorry for the delay in updating this post. I did move from Detroit. It was very quick and painless. I went with Corrigan. The driver arrived on time at 8 am and the load was done by noon. The stiff got to florida in 4 days. Unload went fine. I also got a refund from Corrigan as the weight of my goods was less than the estimate. I have to say their service was awesome and i would defn recommend them.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for helping out. CHeers

Return to “Open Community”