Moving Phoenix to Charlotte

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
willd

Moving Phoenix to Charlotte

Postby willd » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:46 am

I'm moving to Charlotte in a few weeks, and got a reasonable estimate from Atlas Van Lines
Org Agent: Atlantic Relocation Systems, Phoenix, AZ
Dest Agent: Paxton Van lines of NC
Carrier: Atlas Van Lines, Evansville, IN

They have a Total Assured Price Protection Cost of $3385.39
They are estimating about 5000 lbs ( I don't own a whole lot)

Anyway, Wanted to know if anyone has dealt with any of these companies, and/or if I should expect that price to be the bottomline, or throw in another 10% for s+g's

Thanks for the info.

btw your site saved me from making a huge mistake. Almost went with USA Movers Express or something, and found this site looking for info!

Thanks

Diane

Re: Moving Phoenix to Charlotte

Postby Diane » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:33 am

Hi - as far as I know, the origin agent (Atlantic Relo) and hauling agent (Paxton) you are considering are excellent.

Just a note that some Atlas agents offer free full replacement value valuation coverage if you're shipping at least 5000 pounds and are a member of AAA. You could ask.
Last edited by Diane on Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:37 am

Thanks for the info...

I did my homework (thanks to this site) and all the info on them seems positive.

He mentioned the possibility of a price reduction if the weight is less, though I can't find it in the estimate anywhere,. I'll be very happy so long as the price doesn't go up...:)

He mentioned the FRV as well, and since I did it through the internet, offered me the same coverage as you mentioned above !

Thanks mucho! :)

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:44 am

You're welcome (de nada)! This is what we like to hear! If you can post the name of your sales rep it would be good because it sounds as if he is on top of things.

Paxton in Springfield, VA, won a quality award from the van line in 2005 (Milton Hill award).

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:48 am

Diane wrote:You're welcome (de nada)! This is what we like to hear! If you can post the name of your sales rep it would be good because it sounds as if he is on top of things.

No problemo

Tom Fagan
602-352-6683
623-570-6455
Atlantic Relocation Systems - Atlas Van Lines Agent
Phoenix, AZ

Very cool guy, apparently he's been doing it for 30+ years, in and outta the house quick and had everything printed off right there on my kitchen counter.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:50 am

Great. I am starting to assemble a summary post on Phoenix movers so please be sure to come back and report when your move is complete. Also, did you consider any other companies and if so, why did you select the Atlas company?

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:52 am

Diane wrote:Great. I am starting to assemble a summary post on Phoenix movers so please be sure to come back and report when your move is complete. Also, did you consider any other companies and if so, why did you select the Atlas company?

I considered other moving alternative (Broadway Express, ABF, etc...) I opted out of going that route as my new house sits up on a hill a bit, I don't want the hassle of finding help when I get there. Just want the movers to do it for me :) Now I'm down to the two week mark, and I'm comfortable with the price, and the demeanor of Tom (no pressure sales tactics or anything, just layed it out and left me to make my own decisions).

I haven't considered any other major movers, as I'm pretty much outta time to get this done...(I may regret that later :) )

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:55 am

I think you made the right decision, but I'm just curious how the basic cost compared for BE or ABF vs. Atlantic Relo.

willd

Postby willd » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:59 am

Diane wrote:I think you made the right decision, but I'm just curious how the basic cost compared for BE or ABF vs. Atlantic Relo.

BE quoted me $2100 (12 feet of space)
ABF never got one, didn't much care for some things that I read about them.

And part of the problem is that I live in a condo community right now, so I can't have a container or trailer dropped off (all the units share a common driveway), so I'd rather have movers come in, load up and get out, than deal with my condo association and um..less than desirable neighbors.

Additionally I needed to pay the fees at delivery (coming outta closing costs), so BE wasn't an option from that aspect since they apparently don't accept POD.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:04 pm

If a customer doesn't want to pay in advance with a credit card, BE will accept a cashier's check but it has to be mailed and it has to reach their office by delivery day. The reason is that they want to take the driver out of the loop with regard to payment. The drivers are good at driving but are not guaranteed financial whizzes. In a few cases, unfortunately, customers have told the driver that they paid with a credit card when they had not, and then it has been very difficult for BE to collect.

Again, I think you made the right choice for your situation. I'm glad we could help!

willd

Postby willd » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:06 pm

Diane wrote:If a customer doesn't want to pay in advance with a credit card, BE will accept a cashier's check but it has to be mailed and it has to reach their office by delivery day. The reason is that they want to take the driver out of the loop with regard to payment. In a few cases, unfortunately, customers have told the driver that they paid with a credit card when they had not, and then it has been very difficult for BE to collect.

Again, I think you made the right choice for your situation. I'm glad we could help!

I totally understand the business behind it. I'd be the same way if it was my company I think!

Thanks again for everything, and I will definitely report back on loading day and after delivery..

Nathan Brinker

Postby Nathan Brinker » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:45 pm

Good evening Willd and Diane,
My name is Nathan Brinker. I work for <edited>out of Phoenix, Arizona. If you would like another quote from a major van line, I would be more than happy to assist you. I have been with <edited> for 10 years. I am an expert in relocation for Hosehold Goods whether it's local, interstate, or international moves. I am a member of <edited> and ranked in the top 1% of <edited> Residential Sales People. <edited> has been in business since 1918. Please feel free to call or email me at <edited>

Sincerely,

Nathan Brinker
Account Executive
<edited>

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:51 am

Nathan -

This site does not allow the solicitation of business from moving professionals. While everyone here appreciates the knowledge of the professionals, it is not acceptable to making posts have I have seen this morning from you.

You may provide industry knowledge, discuss quality ratings of various agencies - you may not ask for business!!

You will find that all of your post will be edited to remove the advertisements. Think about consumer education and helping them from being scammed without trying to put a buck or two in your pocket.

Thanks,
Pam (another moving rep, well respected, knowledgeable, 20+ years of service from a well established carrier)

willd

Postby willd » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:09 pm

Just a quick update...

Our goods were packed up on March 22, and hit the road sometime around noon (at least they left our house then). The Origin movers were awesome. The team of three made short work of my stuff and had it loaded up in about 2 hours. They were ontime, were very thorough, efficient, quiet and got the job done. The driver went over everything and informed me that he'd call me a day before he arrived to deliver.

My window is 3/27 to 4/3, and as of today I haven't heard anything, but I'm not too worried...

So thats the report on Atlas thus far.

On to DAS Auto Shippers. We went to the DAS origin in Phoenix on 3/23 to drop off the car. We were promptly told to go wash the car so they could do a proper inspection. No problemo. Ran up the street and got it washed real quick. After a very thorough inspection, we were on our way. I've been tracking the car via their website and as of today its in Jackson, MS on its way to Charlotte. Their website is definitely more up to date than Atlas' so far as I can tell.

Again very impressed with DAS, the price was good, the people have been friendly.

I'll post up again when everything arrives and let you know how it went in total.

tess773

I live in Charlotte, for now;)

Postby tess773 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:51 pm

Welcome to Charlotte. Sounds like you are all set up here, but if you need any info feel free to drop me a line. My husband and I are here until Monday, 17 April, then we're heading north. Depending upon which part of the city you are living in, I could give you a bit of a posted tour.

I hope your arrival, as well as your moving day, was grand.

Return to “Open Community”