I need a reliable mover to move me from NJ to TX.. HELP!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
shauna120

I need a reliable mover to move me from NJ to TX.. HELP!

Postby shauna120 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:22 pm

I am trying to get any type of referral from anyone who has used a moving company that they like in NJ. I need to move my stuff from NJ to TX at the end of this month. I have gotten several estimates and they all range in price. Some are quoting me on cubic feet and others on pounds. I recently got an estimate from Gibraltar in Montclair and it looks great - only problem is that the feeds on here say to avoid it.
I have no idea what to do.. anyone have any ideas???
THANKS!!!!!!!!

MusicMom

Re: I need a reliable mover to move me from NJ to TX.. HELP!

Postby MusicMom » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:32 pm

You probably need to dump everyone who's contacted you so far, it soulds like you went to a find-a-mover website and got inundated with quotes based on nothing.

Since I don't know waht part of NJ you're in, I'll report ALL of Diane's amazing list of movers in NJ. Find the few closest to you and schedule in-home appointments for estimates.
In New Jersey -
Diane wrote:People can contact the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs at 973-504-6442 to check on companies' licensing and complaint history for intrastate moves (within NJ). Here is a FAQ sheet that it has put out:
New Jersey Public Movers & Warehousemen FAQ's
The NJ Warehousemen and Movers Association at 732-341-3934 may also be able to offer some insight about quality.

If anyone has a complaint about an intra-state (within NJ) move and has gotten no resolution from the mover, contact the investigator for the , Regulated Business Section (Vincent Buonanno) at 973-504-6442. If he does not answer, leave him a message and he will call you back. If you want to file an online complaint, you can do so by clicking on the following link and downloading the complaint form.
Public Movers and Warehousemen Complaint Form

The State of New Jersey has no jurisdiction over interstate moves. Therefore, for information or to file a complaint, contact the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration of the Federal Highway Administration (FMCSA). The New Jersey regional office is located at 840 Bear Tavern Road, Suite 310, West Trenton, NJ, 08628-1019 and its phone number is 637-4200 /4222/4229.

NORTHERN AREA

Allied Van Lines agents

--Reliable Van & Storage (Allied) in Elizabeth.
This company seems to be respected by industry professionals, and it has very good quality scores from the van line. Caution: there is a scam company called Reliable Moving based in NYC that has copied Allied's orange trucks and tries to confuse people:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 2255#52255
One person ("pacerfan577") gave Reliable Van a bad review for what was probably a local move, but the move was in 2003:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 3592#23592 (local)

Atlas Van Lines agents

--University Van Lines (Atlas) in Rahway.
(phone 732-882-1060) has many good reviews here, mainly for interstate moves. Here is its main review thread (end) - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3063
One person had reservations about one of the estimators (Scott):
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 3940#43940 (interstate)

Mayflower Van Lines agents

--Central Moving Systems (Mayflower) in Bridgewater.
This company's internal customer satisfaction scores from the van lines were excellent for the last half of 2005, better even than Dahill (another Mayflower agent in Brooklyn) for the same period. It was a past Mayflower "Circle of Excellence" winner. Its phone number is 800-222-0327.
There is a rave review of the company by "blempert" for a move from Manhattan to San Francisco at the end of December 2005, and the poster also says that they handled a damage claim perfectly:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7225
"Robin37" was set to move with them from NYC to San Francisco at the end of November 2005 but never came back to report (unless she is the wife of "blempert" above). She mentioned that her sales rep was Keith Haszto and the person who runs the company is Brian Coriell.
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6445

North American Van Lines agents

--Able Metro Moving & Storage (North American) in South Plainfield.
"Nancy" (works for another NAVL agent) said that they are a small agent.
"JenM" moved with them to Dutchess County, NY but never came back to report:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4419

Paul Arpin Van Lines agents

--Allstate Moving & Transfer Co. (Paul Arpin) in Linden.
This company with website www.allstatemoving.com and phone 908-474-0007 does a lot of military moves. Its NJ license number is 00041PC. It won a quality award from the van line in 2004 and was "Agent of the Month" in November 2005.
It has a very good review for a local move within NJ:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5689 (local)

United Van Lines agents

--Holman Moving Systems (United) in Hackensack.

--Wade Odell Wade (United) in Midland Park.
Their phone number is 201-493-9300.
A review is at http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3661

Wheaton Van Lines agents

--All Brunswick (Wheaton) in Dayton.
This company has a good review for a cross-country move.
"bhotchki" was going to use them for a move from NJ to St. Louis but never came back to report how it went. He said that their estimate was the lowest of three that he got:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4793 (interstate)

--Paul's Transfer Company (Wheaton) in Phillipsburg.
This company has the phone numbers 908-859-4443, 908-996-4444, and (toll-free) 866-859-4443. Its website is www.paulstransfer.com.

Independent moving companies

--Peers Moving in Dover.
This company (phone 973-366-2898) has two very good reviews for local moves within NJ. See
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2783 and
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3943

Here is a recent thread where someone was considering both Allstate and University for a local move and it gives their hourly rates - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6368
This is the specific post outlining estimates - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 6149#46149

On the basis of reports and an "unsatisfactory" rating with the BBB, I recommend avoiding College Grads Moving & Storage in New Brunswick. See this horrible review of an apparently local move:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 3973#33973

CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN AREA

Costs are somewhat lower in central and southern NJ. However, these agents do not service New York City.

Mayflower Van Lines agents

--Sinclair (Mayflower) in West Berlin.
We have a good report by "Jeff Gelman" on an interstate move of his grandmother's things from FL to PA, the only glitch being that he had to help the movers move the upright piano inside at destination:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3510 (interstate)

North American Van Lines agents

--American Movers (Global and North American) in Long Branch.
Their phone number is 800-982-0130. According to someone familiar with the NJ moving scene, American Movers is a 60-year-old company whose hands-on owner is the chairman of the board of the NJ Movers' Association and a very good guy. We have no reviews as yet, but I have visited the facility and I was very impressed with the personnel. The company has won many awards from both van lines and its internal quality scores are excellent.

United Van Lines agents

--Applegate Moving (United) in Manasquan.
There is a very good review by "sammyk" for a move from NJ to Texas. He also praises Paulk's Moving (United) in Jefferson, LA, which was the hauling agent:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2824

--McCollister's Transportation Group (United/Mayflower) in Burlington.
This company is a large United/Mayflower agent with hundreds of trucks and drivers. It has about a dozen locations throughout the U.S. "23" and "BigLeeCalif" and other moving professionals have praised it.

shauna120

Postby shauna120 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:40 pm

Music Mom -
Thank you so much for the information. I am located in Northern NJ.. I will call the company's that you have listed for me below. You are exactly right though.. I did go to one of those online moving things where they all sent me quotes etc. I am a single female and I know that most of these people will see that and try to take advantage. I really have never moved through a big moving company before, so that is why I really have no idea how to pick someone! Thanks again!!

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:51 pm

Hi Shauna - make sure that you focus on companies that have done well on interstate moves, not just local moves. I would recommend that you start by getting estimates from University (Atlas) and Wade Odell Wade (United), since Atlas and United are among the best van lines. If the quotes are too high for your budget, come back here for other suggestions.

shauna120

Postby shauna120 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:07 pm

Diane - Thanks for the reply.. I have United coming out, but they can't do it until the 18th and I plan on moving the 29th.. I hope that gives me enough time.
I know that money is an issue in my moving company preference. I want someone who will be reliable and won't take advantage, but I really need the quote to be the lowest that I can get.. any other ideas?
Thanks!

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:10 pm

Hi again - I think that is enough time for WOW to schedule you. For the lowest possible quote from a reputable company, you can also call Delancey Street Movers and Moovers, Inc. to see whether they may possibly have trucks going to TX at that time. They are usually around 15% below the cost of other moving companies. For Delancey, call the NY branch.
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2377 (Delancey)
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2377 (Moovers)

shauna120

Postby shauna120 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:31 pm

Diane -
Thanks again.. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help!
I am trying to get in touch with Delancey and Moovers right now. Delancey's number just rings, but I figure if I keep trying, somebody's got to answer eventually! I am googleing Moovers.
If you think of any others, please let me know!

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:52 pm

Hi - I just called Delancey-NY to make sure I had the right number for them. One of the numbers listed on that thread is wrong and you are correct, it will just ring and ring. This is the number to call: 845-278-6181. The person I spoke with was Matthew (office manager). I told him you might call him.

shauna120

Postby shauna120 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:54 pm

thank you thank you thank you!!! :D

goldminegutted

Postby goldminegutted » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:53 pm

Because you mentioned that you are on a budget, I think it is also important to note that while the companies who contacted you after you requested quotes on one of those moving websites had as you seemed to say- largely varying quotes, they will most likely still ALL be wayyyyyy below what the companies people here are reccommending you. So keep that in mind, and please don't let it turn you off the legitimate companies because the reason the scammers quoted you much less is so you'll sign their contracts and give them your stuff, and then if you ever wanted to see your stuff again you'd probably have to pay 3-4 times what they originally quoted you, and in the end much more than the legimate companies will quote you.

But don't let any of these new quotes shock you, I doubt they will be in the same ballpark. Good luck, let us know who you pick!

shauna120

Postby shauna120 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:44 pm

You are right.. I had a feeling the "scammers" quotes were wayy too good to be true. I already have several appointments set up with people from the list and they were all very very nice. They were all very happy to hear that I had found them from this forum. I will keep everyone updated on how they go!

shauna120

Postby shauna120 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:11 am

So, I had Paul Arpin Van Lines from Linden (Allstate Movers) come out early this morning to give me an estimate.
They are great, the man who came out was the owner I believe and he was so nice. He was very thorough and explained everything in detail to me. He gave me a very good price estimate for the move and assured me that the final price shouldn't be more than $100 over the price he gave me at the most, but that he overestimated the lbs a little to be safe and that it could be cheaper than what he told me. I have a few more companies coming out this weekend, but if I didn't already schedule them I would have probably just booked Paul Arpin.
I will keep you updated on the others..

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:19 am

Shauna - a couple of comments.

1. Did the person who came from Allstate give you a Guaranteed Not to Exceed quote? They call it an Accu-Quote in the Paul Arpin Van Lines system. The reason I ask is that you mentioned that your cost could be $100 over the estimate. With an Accu-Quote your cost should not go above the estimate at all, although it can go down if your weight is less. So I just want to make sure that you don't have a Nonbinding estimate.

2. I agree that Allstate is good but I just want to mention that some industry people posting here have said that Paul Arpin (being a smaller van line) may not be the best choice for a long move like yours. Be sure to ask them how your things are actually going to be moved (for example, will they be picked up directly from your residence or will they be taken to Allstate's warehouse first?) and how long they will take to get to TX. In fact, you should ask these questions of all the sales reps who come.

It's not a deal-breaker if they have to be taken to a warehouse to wait for a long-haul driver from the van line, but all other things being equal (which they usually aren't), it's better if the driver who picks them up from your residence is also the one who delivers them in TX to minimize the possibility of delay and damage. That said, you are much less likely to have such problems now than in the busy summer season. Again, if Allstate is the company you feel most comfortable with, this should not be a deal-breaker in my opinion. But it IS important to get a Guaranteed Not to Exceed quote (an Accu-Quote).

shauna120

Postby shauna120 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:13 pm

Hey Diane -
Thanks again for all the info.. I am so glad to have you helping me out on this :D
The bid that he gave me did say Accu Quote I am almost positive - its at home, so I have to look for sure later.. but he had a total written on there of like three thousand something and then there was a minus two thousand something and then on the total line it said $1750. I am not sure what the discount or money subtracted is from.. do you know?
I asked him if this was covering everything - fuel surcharge, tolls, basic insurance etc & he said yes this is an all inclusive total.
He said that he didn't want to put my stuff in a smaller truck and then have to transfer it to a bigger one for the trip so if I could give him a 2 day time frame to work with on picking it up so it would stay in the same truck the whole time. So I said ok to that. no matter what I told him that he could drop it off at the house in TX even if I wasn't there yet.. but I would prefer that I am there. I am having them or whoever pick it up on the 29th preferably and I won't be back in TX until 10 days later.. so hopefully they can take their time getting there so I can be there when they drop it off.
What do you think?

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:38 pm

Sounds good. You could ask the rep (what is his name, by the way?) why he said it might cost $100 more, because there shouldn't be any additional charges if it's an Accu-Quote. It sounds VERY good if the truck that picks your stuff up can also deliver it. I wouldn't have expected that.

The companies all give discounts of about 60-65% off the full price of the move as listed in the tariff (price list). That's just the way the pricing system is set up in the moving industry. "Back in the day" the companies charged full price but since then there has been something similar to a bidding war and discounts have come into the industry. It's nothing for consumers to worry about.

You mentioned "basic insurance" being included. If you want your things covered at more than 60 cents a pound you should pay for additional valuation coverage. At 60 cents a pound you will get only $6 if a 10-pound lamp is destroyed. You may not care, but I just wanted to mention it. If your things aren't very expensive it may not be worth it to take out the extra valuation, especially since it looks as if your things won't be transferred.

Also, I would strongly suggest that you try to be present when your things are delivered, unless you have a VERY trustworthy person there to receive them. You want someone to be able to examine the items to make sure they are delivered in the same condition they were picked up in and that they are all there (he/she should check them off on a "bingo sheet" that lists the items). If the person signs off saying that everything is OK without noting any visible damage or missing items, that will be taken as a release of liability by the moving company.

Return to “Open Community”