ALERT - avoid New Destiny Van Lines in FL (MC #532675)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
belias

ALERT - avoid New Destiny Van Lines in FL (MC #532675)

Postby belias » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:06 pm

Does anyone have any experience using thhis company? Please advise

goldminegutted

Re: Has anyone used New Destiny Van Lines out of FL

Postby goldminegutted » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:23 pm

Where are you moving to and from? If you're moving out of state, they'll broker out your move because they only have ONE truck and ONE driver. They don't have a broker license though- so while they'll do it, they won't be legally allowed to do so.

They've also only been in service since 9/20/2005, so less than 6 months. I really wouldn't trust any company that's only been in business for 6 months or less. Movingscam.com advises that you should choose a company that's been in business for 5-10 years. But definitely not 6 months. Florida is really a hot bed of scam movers, and while this company doesn't *appear* to be scammers, that doesn't mean they aren't (they've been in business such a short period of time..) and it doesn't mean they'll do a good job.

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:40 pm

I am moving from Tampa to DC. this company was the lowest price of any company that had a decent review on BBB. I thought they were the moving company and not a broker

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:07 pm

Goldmine has given you some good advice. You definitely don't want to deal with a broker. If their price is significantly lower than other companies that's another red flag. If I were you I wouldn't take a chance on this company

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:11 pm

The owner of New Destiny Van Lines is also the owner of Union Van Lines of Sunrise, FL. That company has had a BBB report since May of 2005 already has 6 complaints, three for Sales Practice issues. New Destiny already has one. Not a good sign.

goldminegutted

Postby goldminegutted » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:05 pm

I know it goes against everything we as Americans stand for...but you really don't wanna go with the bargain on moving companies. ;)

I mean, you usually get what you pay for. And the thing is that they aren't even a broker, not legally (they don't have the license for it). They ARE a moving company. But since they only have 1 truck and 1 driver, you can bet they're not gonna send it all the way to DC with you and lose out on local moves in the meantime. Those companies take on the jobs cause they still want to make all the money they can even if they can't accomodate a customer, and then find some company to sell the move to, one who has more trucks than they do. And you can bet that when a company sells a move illegally to another company, they don't check their BBB ratings or insurance to see if they're safe to sell to. They also won't tell you they're doing this until it's too late. And it's also been seen that if a company can't find someone to sell the move to for a while, they'll just send their truck, take it to their storage, and let it sit there for weeks while they wait for a company with available trucks to take on the job, in the meantime telling you that the truck is "on its way" or that there's been an accident or something else.

Usually in those cases, the moving company doesn't even pay for the storage space (because it's usually not on their own lot) and then you are the one responsible for paying the storage bill if you ever find where they're holding your stuff, and if it hasn't yet been auctioned off for non-payment of storage bills.

This is the worst case scenario, but it happens a lot, and I hope you don't consider using them anymore.

goldminegutted

Postby goldminegutted » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:09 pm

If you click on this link below, and look at the third post down, you will get an ENTIRE list of better moving companies for all of Florida. Choose one close to you so that they can come TO YOUR HOUSE and do an estimate. Actually, choose 3 of them. Have them ALL come in. Then pick the one who makes you most comfortable, offers the best price, and prefferably, offers you a guaranteed not to exceed estimate. The next best thing is a binding estimate. You don't wanna go with non-binding cause you won't know what you're actually going to pay until they deliver your things, and the price can greatly vary from the original quote. If you do get a non binding estimate, make sure they quote you based on weight, NOT cubic feet. Here's the thread with a list of companies:

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 8910#48910

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:49 am

I live and work in the Tampa, FL area. I work in the moving industry (specifically for an Allied office) and no, I am not soliciting for your business. Please continue to get estimates or post information about the estimates you were comparing New Destiny to. First and foremost, you need to make sure you have received enough information to make an educated decision on your mover.

Did all companies come into your home and perform an in-home survey and estimate?

Did all companies provide you a guaranteed or guranteed not to exceed estimate?

Did all companies provide you with the publication, "Your Rights & Responsibilities When You Move" booklet? (This is required with each estimate provided.)

If any of the above did not happen, it's time to start over and get in-home estimates scheduled.

You will receive better transit time service from the major carriers like United, Allied, Atlas, North American, etc. as they have more trucks & drivers in service than small offices. Florida is FULL OF SCAM companies, please do not fill out information on the internet and choose your company from quotes received in this manner. Take the time to interview individuals one on one in your home.

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:57 pm

I had the misfortune of using this company. I had thought I had done some good reasearch, but I was wrong. I contracted with them to move me from New York to Texas. They picked up my stuff on 6/29 and I just received "most" of my items on 9/5. They constantly lied to me about when my stuff would go on a truck to come out here. They never returned phone calls. When my stuff did arrive, some items were damaged (not totally destroyed, but they'll never be the same). Several of my boxes were squished (especially the ones marked fragile), and I did not received everything. When I talked to them today about my moving items they said they were trying to find the items, but if they didn't find them by Monday they would turn me over to the claims department. The phrase said to me was "That's moving." So, in short, these people have no concern for you, your items, or your time. Run from these people and make sure to tell you friends and family to run as well.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:01 am

They should run. Their license was revoked on the day they delivered your stuff.

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:59 am

MusicMom wrote:They should run. Their license was revoked on the day they delivered your stuff.

Oh, my God, how do you know this? Please advise I just received my shipment and EVERYTHING IS DESTROYED, furniture, tables, etc...

Please advise!

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:08 am

Guest-

Here's the link:
http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... l_name=NEW^DESTINY^VAN^LINES^INC&pv_pref_docket=MC532675&pv_usdot_no=1398570&pv_vpath=LIVIEW

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:09 am

Guest:

here's the information for their insurance carrier:
http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... l_name=NEW^DESTINY^VAN^LINES^INC&pv_pref_docket=MC532675&pv_usdot_no=1398570&pv_vpath=LIVIEW

Go to Cargo, write down the policy number and click on the name of the Insurance Company name for contact information.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:30 pm

Oh, my God, how do you know this? Please advise I just received my shipment and EVERYTHING IS DESTROYED, furniture, tables, etc...

If your things were just delivered, I'm guessing they were picked up a long time ago. If they picked you up anytime before Sept 5, then they were considered licensed during all of your move, even if it was revoked at any point during the move.

Please check over your paperwork and see if a company employee checked on your inventory if any of your items had a pre-existing condition. Scammers will often check off (out of sight of the owner) that every single piece of furniture is scratched, broken, chipped, scraped, etc before the move, so the customer cannot file a claim. The insurance company will see the pre-existing condition marks, and say that all the damage was not the fault of the movers.

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:54 pm

MusicMom wrote:

If your things were just delivered, I'm guessing they were picked up a long time ago. If they picked you up anytime before Sept 5, then they were considered licensed during all of your move, even if it was revoked at any point during the move.

Please check over your paperwork and see if a company employee checked on your inventory if any of your items had a pre-existing condition. Scammers will often check off (out of sight of the owner) that every single piece of furniture is scratched, broken, chipped, scraped, etc before the move, so the customer cannot file a claim. The insurance company will see the pre-existing condition marks, and say that all the damage was not the fault of the movers.

Yes, they did do this, however the damage that my stuff has is due to mold, mildew, and water damaged from a damp and wet storage facility that I never requested it be put in. The guy who loaded it only notated scratches that I agree were there...They also completely broke my coffee table, bed, ripped apart a bookcase that my father made for me. Every box that I opened has extensive broken items, etc...this is all on tope of the fact that it was delivered 1 month late... Also, a dresser drawer was damaged and several of the household items that I packed such as TIDE leaked all over the place. I did pack it myself, and relaize that they will attempt to say that they won't cover me for that...however I plan to file a suit against them so that they won't do this to other people...how do I find out why their license was revoked? And is the revocation a common thing?

Thanks!

Return to “Open Community”