northern VA move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
phatsoundz

northern VA move

Postby phatsoundz » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:43 am

Anyone have information on company called quality movers?

I believe they said to reserve a move date they needed my CC number, ( I GAVE IT TO THEM) they said that i get 3 guys, 1 truck at 79 per hour, 2 hr min with 1 hr travel .....
so 237 min........... guy on the phone mentioned that i would pay them cash aout 400 before the move, then they would refund the difference after the move....
i expect this move to take no more than 2 hrs tops, i have everything packed, but after reading about all these scams, im a bit worried....

i was also told if i cancel, they'll charge 79 to my card..... is this right?

Rick

Re: northern VA move

Postby Rick » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:30 am

Where are you moving from and to?

There are several companies in Virginia and Maryland that use Quality Movers in their name so you will have to provide more information to make sure that everyone is referring to the same mover. Do they have a motor carrier (MC) number and/or DOT number? Phone number?

The rate of $79/hr for a van and 3 men is cheap by Nothern Virgina market standards where you should expect to pay $120-140/hr for the same service this time of year.

Collecting a deposit and charging your credit card a cancellation fee are always red flags of marginal companies.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:23 pm

I agree with Rick, I think any money you give them will be in their pockets to stay once you give it to them. Why can't you all just do the math once the job is done? No harder that way. The prices are too cheap.

What's their phone number?

phatsoundz

Postby phatsoundz » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:21 pm

The company's name is Quality Moving and Storage and their phone number is 703-362-0346.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:25 pm

That's a cell phone. There are no listings with the DOT for a Quality Moving & Storage in VA, which means they aren't authorized to be driving trucks, even in state. Thi is obviously a guy with a rental truck, and you should be looking elsewhere for someone to perform your move.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:28 pm

I would also suggest calling your credit card company and letting them know your number has been compromised. Ask for a new card to be issued to your account, you'll get it within the week. You don't want them making unauthorized charges to your card, whether you use them or not.

phatsoundz

Postby phatsoundz » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:52 pm

Thanks so much for the advice...i've cancelled my CC.....now i just have to cancel with the mover.....does anyone have a good/ affordable mover for a local move in NoVA....(reston to herndon)?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:09 pm

Try Beltway Movers, Moyer & Sons, and Manassas Transfer.

Just keep in mind that their realistic prices will be higher than Quality's, but you'll get better service and won't get ripped off.

phatsoundz

Postby phatsoundz » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:10 pm

MusicMom wrote:Try Beltway Movers, Moyer & Sons, and Manassas Transfer.
Thanks so much.....i feel so much better that i cancelled.
i think im going the uhaul route , and will bribe some friends to help :) :D

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:14 pm

May I suggest Budget or Penske instead of Uhaul? Uhaul has a ton of complaints about their equipment.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:04 pm

You're very welcome!

Moving companies will also hire out their loaders for labor, if you can't get enough friends to help out.

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:53 pm

twalker wrote:May I suggest Budget or Penske instead of Uhaul? Uhaul has a ton of complaints about their equipment.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com
Thanks alot for the suggestion,
i have seen some crappy uhaul equip before, but im good about checking it out before i drive from the lot.

Thanks!

Return to “Open Community”