Any dealings with Two Guys and a Truck in the DC Metro area?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
namllih

Any dealings with Two Guys and a Truck in the DC Metro area?

Postby namllih » Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:06 pm

Considering their services and others in the DC area. Any horror stories?

Michael

Re: Any dealings with Two Guys and a Truck in the DC Metro a

Postby Michael » Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:22 pm

namllih,

I looked on the Safer Web site and see no listing for Two Men and a Truck in VA or DC.

Two men and a truck are franchises. I have heard some good things about them and some negative. In this particular case I believe it's all about the company in the area, as opposed to them as a whole.

Are you moving locally, within the district, out of state?

Their rates are generally a little cheaper then a major van line, if your moving locally. If the BBB has complaints listed agianst them, then I would move on. If they dont, just take it as it is.

What other companies are you looking at and how did you find them?

Good luck
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

namllih

Postby namllih » Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:28 pm

Unfortunatley I've found most through the Internet. I've seen "Two Guys.." trucks around and they have a satisfoactory rating through our BBB. Others we're looking at for a local move are Ryder Van Lines, Best Time Movers, Smooth Move Moving & Storage Inc. We were looking at some others but eliminated them through BBB & movingscam.com

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:39 pm

Namllih,

Do not use the internet to find or hire a mover. You greatly increase your chance of being scammed if you do so. The internet is more useful for researching a mover's credentials once an estimator has come to your house and given you an estimate. Please read the article on this website, "How to Find a Reputable Mover." Follow the guidelines there carefully and you'll somewhat lessen your chance of being scammed by a mover. Look in the phone book; once you've gotten a couple of in-home estimates, post the names and DOT numbers here and someone can help you assess them. Best Time Movers has only been in business since June of this year, in my opinion, not long enough to trust them with most of your worldly possessions. Smooth Move Moving and Storage is located in Jessup, Maryland, a town that is becoming a hotbed location for scam movers. They're also showing a driver out of service record of 30.8%. The national average is 7.21%. I could not find information on Ryder Van Lines, which in itself is a red flag.

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:17 pm

I have DEFINITELY seen scam reports about Ryder Moving. Don't be fooled by their name -- they have NO legal affiliation with the national truck rental company. Instead, they rely on (and promote) this misperception as a ruse to gain your trust and get your belongings on their truck.

I advise you not to use Ryder Moving!

namllih

Postby namllih » Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:04 am

Thanks for the advice. We'll refocus on the phone book and word of mouth from friends as our starting point in our search for a local move. We did have one company come for an in-home estimate last weekend -Thomas AAA- the woman gave us a very high quote though of $145 an hour for 4 men & two trucks. Granted she's the only one to come to our home for a quote -but we will have to pay a premium for service to get a more reputable company. Two guys and a truck based out of Sterling, VA seems okay but we have not had them in-home for an estimate as of yet -but their rate is $125 an hour for 3 men and a truck. All the Internet company quotes ranged from $75/hr for 3 men w/ a truck to $85/hr. Is the difference that great? Should I expect to pay in excess of $100 an hour for good service?
We're only moving 2 to 3 miles from an Arlington, VA 2-bedroom apartment to a 3 level townhouse in Alexandria, VA. Will we really need 4 men for our move?
Thanks

Josh

Postby Josh » Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:18 am

Namllih,

The difference between 2,3, or 4 men is determined by the amount of weight you have. More guys will cost more per hour, but the job will get done faster.

Here is one way you can figure it out:

If you have 2000#-5000#, 2 men and 1 truck will be fine.

If you have 5000#-9000#, 3 men and 1 truck will be fine.

When you get over 9000#, I would suggest 4 men and possibly 2 trucks.

Here are what my rates are in Cleveland:
2men, 1 truck $84/hr.
3men, 1 truck $121/hr
4men, 1 truck $154/hr

Additional truck is $10/hr extra.

Hope this helps.

Josh

aubie2

Postby aubie2 » Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:49 pm

We charge $117.00 per hour for 3 men and a truck or $89.35 per hour for 2 men and a truck.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:40 pm

aubie2,

Are you doing a lot of local moves around the DC Metro area? It just seems like a long ways for you to travel from Alabama for a few hours of work.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Postby guest » Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:57 am

I stated our rates for comparison. I am only interested in local moves in North Alabama. Namllih had asked if it were ok to expect rates in excess of $100 per hour. For three men and a truck I believe it is.

Aubie2

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:06 pm

Smooth Move Moving appears to be based in Columbia, MD (from their web site) but one of the reasons why it might be worth considering them, is that they referred me to this web site as way of a recommendation (of things to look for and scams in the industry). I had 10 quotes and although not the cheapest, I'll let you know what they are like in a couple of weeks.

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:16 pm

Guest,

A lot of scam companies also recommend people here. The thinking being, if they arent on the black list they must be a good company? What do you know about this company, if anything other than where they are located?

Best of luck,
Michael

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:21 pm

Guest,

The fact that any moving company sends you to this site should in no way be any indication of thier quality of service. MovingScam.com does not recommend or endorse any moving company including the one you mention.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:24 pm

Guest,

According to the Safersys web site they are out of Jessup. They have two trucks (out of service 20% of the time, avg is 22%) and 2 drivers (out of service 31% of the time, avg is 7%). The have had their insurance cancelled three times, as recent as 9/2003. To me they look like a company that is just changing its name here and there. I would go with two men and a truck before this outfit.

Good luck
Michael

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:08 pm

The Smooth Move in Jessup, MD, advertises on www.123movers.com, a website listing many scam companies. Another Smooth Move in NJ is blacklisted on www.movingadvocateteam.com and comes up like this on Whois:

www.4asmoothmove.com

Registrant:
Smooth Move (WN-D-93790508)
5 Michelle ct.
Marlboro, NJ 07746
US

Administrative Contact:
Olya, Refael (19182753I) olya@galexo.com
Smooth Move
6 Plank Road
Staten Island, NY 10314
US
718-982-0443 fax: 718-698-7240

Don't use any Internet company that refers you to this website, or I'm afraid that you will be very, very sorry.
Last edited by Diane on Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Open Community”