Advice Needed: Champaign, IL to Madison, WI

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
navsaria

Advice Needed: Champaign, IL to Madison, WI

Postby navsaria » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:13 pm

Hi, folx. We will be moving from Champaign, IL to Madison, WI in mid-May. We have a 4-bedroom house (two adults/two kids) -- a modest amount of furniture, but not excessive, either. I'm looking for a full-service mover, including packing services. We'll be moving plants/computers/a couple of valuable items ourselves, but we need the rest done by the movers.

Any recommendations or suggestions? I had a bad experience moving from DC to IL in 1998 with Covan (lost an item, estimate was off, etc), so I'd like some decent recommendations from people with good moving experiences...or those to avoid, when moving from Champaign.

Thanks!

Peace and Prosperity,
Dipesh

Diane

Re: Advice Needed: Champaign, IL to Madison, WI

Postby Diane » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

First read this article to get a general orientation to the issues in choosing a mover. Here is a link to my summary post on what has been said here about Chicago-area moving companies - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 9609#49609 However, I realize that Champaign is pretty far from Chicago.

You could contact Pat McLaughlin at the IMAWA to see what she says about moving companies in your area (contact info in the summary post). Also, I think that Broadway Express in Effingham 80 miles to the south of you might actually be willing to move you in a full-service move. They sometimes do those moves if the residence is fairly close to Effingham and the move is relatively short-distance. I would give them a call at www.broadwayexpress.net to ask about it. You can tell them that I suggested it because of your special circumstances. (You could also do a self-move with them, I believe.)

navsaria

Postby navsaria » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:35 pm

Diane wrote:First read this article to get a general orientation to the issues in choosing a mover. Here is a link to my summary post on what has been said here about Chicago-area moving companies - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 9609#49609 However, I realize that Champaign is pretty far from Chicago.

You could contact Pat McLaughlin at the IMAWA to see what she says about moving companies in your area (contact info in the summary post). Also, I think that Broadway Express in Effingham 80 miles to the south of you might actually be willing to move you in a full-service move. They sometimes do those moves if the residence is fairly close to Effingham and the move is relatively short-distance. I would give them a call at www.broadwayexpress.net to ask about it. You can tell them that I suggested it because of your special circumstances. (You could also do a self-move with them, I believe.)

Just wanted to follow up as well as say major thanks to Diane as well as this board in general. When I started looking at moving stuff last Monday AM, I had no clue where to begin. Being a good librarian, though, I started hunting down leads and ended up here. :-)

I called Pat at the IMAWA -- she was very friendly and very willing to help me out. She gave me the names of four places in the Champaign area, telling me that she wouldn't recommend a place she wouldn't use herself. I called 3 of them, plus Broadway Express. I have quotes from 3 of the 4, the fourth is on the way. All of them had people come out to go through the house and give an estimate, and my feeling was that all of them were responsible, experienced, and competent.

I will say that BE's quote was wildly higher -- not because they estimated high, but simply because they were charging much more. I suspect this isn't the kind of move they do often, hence the higher charge. The other two quotes were very close to each other.

I'm waiting on the last quote, then I'll make a choice. Thanks again for the help -- it's made a big, big difference...

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:42 pm

Glad we were helpful. Pat McLaughlin is a HUGE resource for anyone moving from Illinois. Please list all your quotes when you have them so we can see the price range. Interesting that Broadway's was so much higher, but they have to send people 80 miles to your home to pack, which could be expensive for them.

navsaria

Postby navsaria » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:49 pm

Diane wrote:Glad we were helpful. Pat McLaughlin is a HUGE resource for anyone moving from Illinois. Please list all your quotes when you have them so we can see the price range. Interesting that Broadway's was so much higher, but they have to send people 80 miles to your home to pack, which could be expensive for them.

Yep, I agree. Although the high cost was reflected in both the packing and the transporation -- and that was even after they put a substantial "Bottom Line" Discount on there.

I'll be sure to post the estimates once they're all in. Thanks again!

yan

Postby yan » Fri May 05, 2006 10:24 pm

Hi, Navsaria.
Have you already selected moving company?
I found my requirements to be very close to yours. I have to move from Champaign, IL to NJ soon. I'll appreciate if you could share you experience.
Thank you.

navsaria

Postby navsaria » Sun May 07, 2006 8:39 am

Well, I haven't posted anything yet because I haven't moved yet. :-) Load-up and move is next week. I'd strongly recommend following the recommendations posted earlier in this thread about calling Pat at the IMAWA.

Local people I had provide quotes were Hutchcraft, Federal/O'Byrne, and Jenkins/Key. I felt all three appeared reputable and reliable, although clearly none of them have moved me yet. :-)

Hope this helps...

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun May 07, 2006 10:11 am

Glad things are going OK.

Note to "yan" - it's one thing to move 250 miles as "navsaria" is doing, because a local company can drive there and back in a day. It's another thing to move to New Jersey, where you are moving. Please be cautious. I think it would be better for you to stick to a van line agent if you can afford it or else use Broadway Express or Moovers, Inc.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”