Moving from Providence to San Francisco

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
going east to west

Moving from Providence to San Francisco

Postby going east to west » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:30 am

Hi-
This forum is so helpful; i've learned a lot by reading so far! we are looking to move from Providence RI to San Francisco in May. We took the advice of many on this board and are getting 3 quotes with in home estimates.

The companies we're looking at are:
Rainbow Movers - seem to have gotten lots of good reviews on this site
Allied Van Lines - i haven't seen anything about them
Paul Arpin Van Lines - i've found about 3 negative reviews about them on this site.

All of these places are giving us non binding estimates, and are saying that it's better for us because then the weight will go down if we decide not to take stuff. It sounds like they don't do binding not to exceed estimates. Should we go with the non binding estimates? I'm a little confused, because they do all seem like reputable companies, but i thought from reading here that we should only go with the binding NTE estimates.

Any advice on either the movers or my question about estimates would be greatly appreciated! thank you!!

going east to west

twalker
Site Admin

Re: Moving from Providence to San Francisco

Postby twalker » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:39 am

Hi,

Which agents are you looking at for Allied and Paul Arpin?

As far as the estimates go, I would ask them why they will not provide you with a binding-not-to-exceed estimate. A non-binding estimate can go down, but it can also go up.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

going east to west

Postby going east to west » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:43 am

I believe it's Federal Van Lines for Allied. For Paul Arpin, i'm actually not sure...I'll find out and post.

I'll ask about why they don't do binding NTE. thanks!

going east to west

Postby going east to west » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:32 am

For Arpin Van Lines, there apparently is no agent - so I'm going through the corporate office.

We're also getting Conlon Movers/United - so if anyone has any thoughts on that one, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:28 pm

I'd say you've made a good start. Here is my summary post on what has been said here about companies in or near Rhode Island. If you can tell us for sure what Allied agent you're considering, I'll add its name with a notation that we have no information or reviews as yet.

What are the bad reviews you have seen here of Arpin agents? You have to be careful to take the nature of the complaint and the customer into account. The only cautionary note I would make about Arpin is that your delivery spread could be long if you have a small load. I believe that it's currently about 17 days to the West Coast.

You might want to keep in mind that United and Atlas are generally considered the strongest van lines (important for a cross-country move).
In Rhode Island -
Diane wrote:Because Rhode Island is so small, people moving from there have often chosen companies based in Massachusetts instead, so some of these companies will be listed under both states.

On the basis of information in the following thread, I recommend avoiding the Rhode Island company Vito's/Murray's:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4686

Atlas Van Lines agents

--A. Walecka (Atlas) in West Wareham, MA.
This company won a quality award from the van line in 2005 (Milton Hill award).
One person ("protijy") used it for a move from Boston to San Diego and was very pleased:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5572 (interstate)
Someone else ("Marin") praised its estimator but ultimately decided to move with Conlon (see below):
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3988

Paul Arpin Van Lines agents
Arpin is HQd in Rhode Island. Some industry professionals feel that as a smaller van line it is best used for relatively short-distance moves rather than cross-country moves. However, it was praised by "BigLeeCalif" (working for a United agent).

United Van Lines agents

--Conlon (United) in Seeconk, MA.
This company has a rave review by "dazzla" for a move from RI to CA. He visited its office and warehouse and praises all the personnel involved, including the estimator, Michael Carolla:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 4995#34995 (interstate)
"Marin" (moving to AZ) praised the Conlon personnel as respectful, patient with answering questions, and extremely helpful. He was set to go with them but never came back with a final report:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 0501#30501 (interstate)

going east to west

Postby going east to west » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:49 pm

thank you Diane! this summary is great!

My error - the negative Paul Arpin reviews were on ripoffreport.com. If you do a search for "paul arpin vanlines", 3 complaints come up. I've been on too many websites; i'm getting them all confused! Good point about who's doing the complaining - I'm not sure how reputable they are, so I'm considering Arpin anyway.

I double checked - it is Federal Van Lines for Allied.

I am so impressed with this website - you all are lifesavers! thanks for invaluable input guiding me through these weird and wacky times!

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:46 pm

Hi again - I looked at the three complaints about Arpin-RI on Ripoff Report and I must say that they sound legitimate to me. All three have to do with claims being ignored and the company failing to communicate. There is a certain "sameness" that makes the complaints sound believable. This would be enough to deter me from using Arpin, I think, if you have other companies you feel comfortable with.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff177269.htm
http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff165996.htm
http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff164640.htm

going east to west

Postby going east to west » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:19 am

The update...

So we've had our 3 estimates: (I'm cancelling Paul Arpin)

Rainbow/NA - will do a binding NTE - estimate 6116#, $5400 + 533 shuttle. Includes insurance $230.

Conlon/United - estimate 6500# - will do a binding estimate now (before tariffs go up on may 1st) if we lock in at $5200 + shuttle $700. Does not include insurance. They don't do a binding nte (she said they just don' t do that) but she said if we wait and have the shipment dependent on weight, it would go up to $7400 because of tarriffs and gas increases.

Federal Van Lines/Allied- estimate 5000#, they're sending me the estimate (the only place that did the estimation by hand instead of a palm pilot) - cost $6000 (not sure if this includes shuttle)

I liked Conlon's person the best, but i think Rainbow has the best deal for us, especially since we're selling more furniture than i thought we would. they said they would give us a binding NTE after I told them that another company (Conlon) was giving us a similar price only if the price was binding.

So, I think we'll go with Rainbow, but am I missing anything?

Also, should I have the Rainbow agent update the furniture list before I sign the binding NTE, or should i just assume it won't go up since we're selling stuff and we'll be fine with the NTE?

Thanks in advance for advice!

GETW

EastCoastMover

Postby EastCoastMover » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:40 pm

as long as you dont add items after the estimate you will not need to let the agent know.the more you get rid of the less you will pay..i dont quite understand how conlons price will rise that much after may 1st..there will be a general across the board rate increase of 3.75% on may 1 but the fuel surcharge will be adjusted from the current 14% to 8% so i dont get how their price is going up 1500.00.....also conlons wt estimate is higher with a lower price which means a larger discount but their shuttle price is way more than rainbows....something smells fishy and its not low tide......

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:27 pm

I think Rainbow looks like your best choice and I agree that you don't need to get an updated furniture list.

On another note, I think you should tell the Arpin rep that one reason you're canceling is those three bad reviews on RipoffReport. The company needs to come on there or here to give its side of the story; otherwise it is going to lose business.

going east to west

Postby going east to west » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:52 pm

Hi -
Any advice on getting references from companies? The 3 I've talked to have all said customer information is confidential and they can't give it out.

The Rainbow rep did give me the name of a realtor who knows his work...I've left him a message and am waiting to hear back.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

GETW

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:13 pm

Hi - from following this messageboard and talking to moving company owners, I think the companies are being honest when they say they don't want to give out names of references. They don't like to invade the privacy of people they have moved, apparently. If you go back to some of the original threads on those companies, you may find that some of the people who moved with them are registered here and you could send them Private Messages for further details. Otherwise I would tend to rely on the reviews posted here. We're pretty good at ferreting out bogus ones. Definitely send a PM to "PMueller" (who works for Allied) asking about the quality scores of the Allied agent. She should be back from vacation by now. You have to sign up as a member to be able to send and receive PMs.

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:44 pm

Hi, I'm following this thread as it caught my attention when you mentioned Providence. We are moving from Providence to Missouri in June and have quotes from Paul Arpin and Rainbow. Who did you ultimately end up going with? Did Janet do your estimate with PA and Hank do it with Rainbow?

Thanks

going east to west

Postby going east to west » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:57 am

Hi!
I ended up cancelling the Paul Arpin visit based on the comments above in ripoffreport.com. We had the 3 estimates above, and we are going to go with Rainbow (and yes, Hank was our estimator). He agreed to make the non-binding quote he first gave us a binding NTE - ~$5300 for 6000# (not inculding destination shuttle). He is supposed to call me today to discuss dates, so we're not signed yet, but that's our plan.

I also liked Conlon/United a lot (christine was the estimator) but for some reason they were a lot more expensive and wouldn't do a bnte.

What were your thoughts on your estimates?

Good luck!
GETW

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:30 am

Thanks for this update. I'll add your review and thoughts about the estimators to my summary post on MA companies after the move is complete. Just to clarify, though:- Conlon wasn't actually more expensive as long as you were willing to accept a Binding rather than a BNTE estimate, right?

Return to “Open Community”