A Drivers Perspective

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
DriverWayne

A Drivers Perspective

Postby DriverWayne » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:08 am

I think this site is a great idea and I would only add a couple of things.

Box as much as possible. :D

Just as an outside observer you really are recommending a couple of companies, which is fine, it's your space.

BE is a good company, I've talked to a dozen of their drivers when I was thinking about working for them. But BE is not the only move-it yourself company. I've done stuff for Movex and Movex type companies, we also will do a household direct like BE. How any one would move with ABF is beyond me, but that's just me.

I've been with a "full service" company and where I'm at now we do a few u-pack, we move stuff. BE drivers like the household stuff because of the money under the table. Some drivers are worth it. Some think they're worth it. The whole point of u-pack is to save money.

Personally, I will usually do a walk through and advise how to load and will offer to pad-wrap anything of value. Maybe a half hour of showing people how to load, then if decks are needed or car tie-downs (instead of loading bars and pads!!!) You still have to tie cars down, there's too much movement possible. Then maybe a tip at the end, but not always.

Even full service Van Lines are realizing they have to compete with the u-pack services and some will offer a u-pack we drive service.

BE drivers like households because of the cash factor. I can take them or leave them. Unless I have some space to fill. Not too many people want the entire 53'. But I do have a truckload from Maine to Nevada already scheduled because I was asked for.

As a driver I see Van Lines I've never heard of before and from the looks of their equipment, wouldn't trust them to move me across the street. It's a good thing this site is here and hopefully more people will use it.

Honestly, I think it's kind of a crap shoot. There are good and bad drivers within the same company. But you still should choose a reputable company because they are the one's standing behind any claims.

As far as labor goes, I've had better luck asking Labor Ready for household guys then when I had a "Van Line" crew.

One last piece of advise - I would choose a u-pack company because you have more control and most of the time you get the same truck and same driver at both ends. Unloading at a warehouse or to a vault back to a truck only increases the chances of things being lost or damaged.

Sorry for being so long the first time.

Wayne

MusicMom

Re: A Drivers Perspective

Postby MusicMom » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:30 am

Thank you for this perspective. I just have a couple "Why" questions, regarding the following:
How any one would move with ABF is beyond me, but that's just me.
As far as labor goes, I've had better luck asking Labor Ready for household guys then when I had a "Van Line" crew.

THEMOVINGLADY

Postby THEMOVINGLADY » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:32 am

MusicMom wrote:Thank you for this perspective. I just have a couple "Why" questions, regarding the following:
How any one would move with ABF is beyond me, but that's just me.
ABF IS A GOOD COMPANY.WE ARE SMALL MOVERS BUT HAVE MET SOME GOOD FOLKS WHOM WERE VERY PLEASED WITH ABF.BUT EVERYONE HAS THIER OWN OPINION. WE HAVE LOADED AND UNLOADED SOME ABF LOCAL MOVES.I WONDER HOW MANY TIMES THIS MOVER HAS WORKED WITH ABF?AND WHY IS HIS OPINION NEGATIVE? THE POSTING SOUND GOOD BUT I QUESTION THIS TYPE OF JUDGEMENT AND POST. IF A MOVER TREATS HIS GUYS AND TREATS THEM WELL WHY WOULD THEY PREFER A STRANGER AND PUT HIM OR HER IN SOMEONES HOME OR ON HIS TRUCK?

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:08 am

Wayne,

Thanks for a LOT of useful information. In particular, this:
I would choose a u-pack company because you have more control and most of the time you get the same truck and same driver at both ends. Unloading at a warehouse or to a vault back to a truck only increases the chances of things being lost or damaged.

This is what I have been preaching incessantly for years. The reviews posted here show that the closer a move is to this ideal of a direct pickup and delivery, whether with a self-move company or a reputable full-service mover, the more likely it is that a move will go well. (Full-service movers also do direct pickups and deliveries, of course.)

You mention that owner-operators can haul for Movex and other companies that offer self-moves. I'm in close touch with a small company that has hauled for Movex in the past but they tell me that they won't do it any more because of the small amount of money that Movex pays, especially with the high price of fuel and Movex not paying a fuel surcharge. Also, they say that anything refunded to customers by Movex for late pickup or delivery, damages, or whatever is taken out of the driver's pay. Finally, Movex loads are "no touch" so there is no extra pay for the driver if he helps the customer load.

Aside from the money considerations, because Movex is a broker and not in the trucking business, drivers say that their sales reps will tell customers the wrong thing. For example, they routinely tell customers that drivers will be at the residence at 8 in the morning, but sometimes it's impossible, for example when the driver has a pickup scheduled on both coasts of Florida the same day. Or the reps may greatly underestimate the footage needed and then the driver doesn't have enough space to load the shipment. In other words, putting a layer of salespeople between the trucker and the customer can create confusion.

You say at the beginning, "Just as an outside observer you really are recommending a couple of companies, which is fine, it's your space." I just want to clarify that MovingScam.com is endorsing two freight companies, in keeping with its mission of protecting people from being scammed. The website itself does not officially endorse any full-service moving company other than for international moves, although individuals like me often recommend certain companies that they know and trust.

DriverWayne

Postby DriverWayne » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:02 am

Okay, the remark about ABF - just my personal opinion. Mainly because I'm used to a clean trailer with pads and equipment and wouldn't move without it. If your going to move, do it right with the right equipment.

Movex - Yeah, I did several trips last year with them and wasn't thrilled with the rate, they're bad about paying a decent rate and paying on time. Probably won't do any with them this year because we're using a different u-pack service that our company helped setup. As far as being "no touch", things are done without Movex knowing about it. I've done labor and even sold extra footage without them.

And damages with Movex shouldn't come out of the linehaul (the driver's pay) because we had nothing to do with the loading.

Any time you have sales people involved there's a possiblity of screwups :roll:

Getting the driver's direct number as soon as possible, at least the day or two before is the best way to get information and coordinate times etc...

Wayne

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:50 pm

The remark by Wayne about the driver being paid under the table in cash by the customer is the dirty little secret that keeps BE in business. While it is legal for the customer to do so, in most cases it is unreported income by the driver which is illegal. What with withholding taxes, social security or self employment taxes, workman's comp, health insurance, plus no paid vacations, sick days or holidays which easily add 40% to the wage of a company paid driver, there is no way for a legitimate company to compete. It's a wink wink, nod nod type of economy that is hard to catch by the IRS but I have seen them do just that with the driver ruining his life by not paying the proper taxes. If the driver is an owner operator with the payment going to the company then to him, a paper trail is established, but not so when the driver is paid in cash by the customer.
There is also, of course. the risk the customer takes if a driver is hurt in the employment of the customer. And so it goes.
It's funny that the people who support this type of activity are the very ones who think that the government should take a more active role in regulating and enforcing those regulations, but take a different view when it comes to funding those government employees.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:06 pm

Yes, BE is the reason why our multi-trillion dollar government budget cannot give the agencies in charge the money that it would take to enforce the moving industry laws and regulations. It is the same conspiracy that waiters and waitresses across the country are involved in with their tip money (all under-the-table cash transactions). It's all just a huge scam causing heartache and trauma for consumers across the nation and it's all BE's fault. :roll:

If you want to trash a truly scam company then go for it, but I'm not going to sit here and read a bunch of posts where BE competitors trash them when they are obviously doing an outstanding job. Is this a contest to see how unprofessional can you be towards your competitors? If you don't like this web site then start your own god-damned web site will you?

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

IMP

Postby IMP » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:05 am

Any time you have sales people involved there's a possiblity of screwups

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

You know - that was a pretty strong stereotype there, some of us are actually very good at what we do.

DriverWayne

Postby DriverWayne » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:27 am

You know - that was a pretty strong stereotype there, some of us are actually very good at what we do.

And I know some very good sales people, but the POSSIBILITY exists when some assume things and pass them on as fact. And it's always better just to coodinate direct without any middle man.

I don't think anyone was bashing BE except the last guy that didn't even have the guts to register. I applied and interviewed and met the staff and a bunch of drivers at BE. They are still a good backup if I switch sometime in the future. And I'd respond to the guy if he had any idea of what he was talking about.

Wayne

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:16 pm

DriverWayne wrote:And I know some very good sales people, but the POSSIBILITY exists when some assume things and pass them on as fact. \

And anytime you have a driver involved you have the POSSIBILITY of a screw up.
Ruges

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:33 pm

Okay, okay, possibilities exist all over the place, we get it. Let's move on.

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:19 pm

<snip>

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:40 am

The main differrence between ABF & BE is the equipment used.
BE = air ride, logistic, pad,etc equipped, and loading ramps
ABF = spring ride, no logistics, no pads etc, ramps extra

Anyone in transportation (even freight companies) would agree that the BE trailer is a better piece of equipment. It is, I believe more expensive than ABF, but anything with higher quality is more expensive.

IMP

Postby IMP » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:56 pm

Including good, reputable movers - - - wink wink :wink:

Return to “Open Community”