*PBO - my own inventory forms?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Kristene

*PBO - my own inventory forms?

Postby Kristene » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:36 am

Greetings Friends,

I'm now on to packing and love the labels! thank you.

Am looking for an inventory form I can use for my boxes.

I'm in the middle of reading posts on packing but don't really find my question addressed.

I will be almost entirely PBO. I want to do as complete inventory of each box as possible. Sure I can do this handwritten but like the idea of a form.

Checked Microsoft - the closest they have is a home inventory form in Word.

Any suggestions? Will pay small amount for the form and trouble.

Thank you

Kristene
Kristene
"some they do, some they don't and some you just can't tell. some they will, some they won't and some it's just as well.." Supertramp

IMP

Re: PBO - my own inventory forms?

Postby IMP » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:58 am

I would think a local moving company would be happy to give you one, maybe sell you one. If I had one I'd fax you a copy. They will be handwritten, by the way. If memory serves (don't have one in front of me right now) the left column is for the # that is associated with the carton, the middle column is general description - carton size, room from which it was packed, and vague description, and the third column is used more for furniture with descriptions of condition - scratches, rubbed, soiled, things like that.

Now - even if you do your own, the movers will most likely do another which will basically read PBO - CCU which stands for packed by owner, contents and condition unknown. Just don't want you to go to all this work and be disappointed if it gets duplicated.

Kristene

Postby Kristene » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:20 am

Thanks for the info - and it's ok with me to duplicate. I'll be PBO and I want them to know that I KNOW what's in each and every box down to the last bobby pin. While I have a certain level of trust, it's not going to stop someone nasty from rummaging through my stuff!

Good suggestion - I'll ask my coordinator for a form I could use. I think I may have found one online that I can duplicate in excell.

Anyone else with suggestions on inventoring my own stuff?

regards,

Kristene
Kristene
"some they do, some they don't and some you just can't tell. some they will, some they won't and some it's just as well.." Supertramp

DriverWayne

Postby DriverWayne » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:07 am

I can fax or email you the real deal if you still want it.

PM me a fax number or email for an adobe attachment.

Wayne

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:27 am

Kristene,

Just keep in mind that the driver will still do his own inventory and that is the one that will count.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Kristene

Postby Kristene » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:37 am

Michael wrote:
Just keep in mind that the driver will still do his own inventory and that is the one that will count.

So, if something goes missing from a PBO box and it's labeled on the drivers inventory as "contents unknown" - am I still able to file a claim?
Kristene

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:51 am

Not on a pbo. The box is taped. He has no idea what is in it, no matter what you say is in it. You could say you have 500 cd's in a box and really only have 250. So unless you want to be charged for extra labor to inspect and tape boxes, you will be liable if you claim something from a box is missing.

If a box arrives in a different condition then stated on the inventory (its now crushed, ripped, missing) and you advise the driver at time of delivery, then yes you could file a claim, based on the valuation your purchased, and your inventory may help you in determining the amount of the claim.

Otherwise, if it arrives in the same condition as loaded, you accept it as it at time of delivery and then upon unpacking figure something is missing, then you are liable, not the driver, not the van line. There was no way of proving what you say is in there was in there to begin with.
Michael

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:12 pm

I'll just confirm what michael is telling you. Only my numbers count if it is not CP then it is PBO,CU. When I deliver it to the new residence I only use my numbers to check it off. So what ever work you do by inventoriing it is almost worthless.

On one job a long time ago the customer had his own numbers on the boxes. He wanted to check them off as I brought them in. I informed him that I could not call his number's off but he could check them off if he wanted. Even thow I knew it would not work to well since he would be too buisy checking my numbers off and letting us know where to place his belongings. So at the end of the day all my numbers where checked off. But he still insisted on checking his numbers off. Somthing I was not going to waste my time on, nore the 3 helpers that I am paying by the hour. But since I am a nice guy I decided to humor him. I told him to pick 5 random and we would locate them. Well after about 2 hours of searching we could not locate them. I am going threw my inventries again making sure I did not miss one. checking the truck again and again, and basicaly looking like an incompotent mover becouse I cannot find one of his numbers. Only to find out that the box was packed inside anouther box. Lesson of the story is your numbers suck.

If you are that worried about getting an inventory done on your boxes go threw them after he does his inventory and make sure they all have numbers. (somtimes you miss one or two small ones hiding in the back) Worried about the contents get seals.They make this nice tape like seals for boxes.
Ruges

Kristene

Postby Kristene » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:46 pm

Thanks for that Ruges. Great suggestion about the seals.

I should clairify why I am doing my own inventory. It's more than worry about my stuff. I'm also unloading at 2 stops - temp residence and mini storage. So about half my stuff is going to storage and I want to be sure I know which boxes are which and what's in them. AND am able to ID the two for the loading/driving crew.

My agent sales person (Nelson Westerberg of Illinois) suggested he might suggested to the drive that they use 2 colors of tags (?) That will help with loading and unloading the truck so the right stuff gets to the right places.

Think that will be ok?

Kristene
Kristene

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:29 pm

Kristene,

You can signify on your boxes by either color labels or written description what is going where. I would suggest you write your name and location on at least two sides of every box and keep the boxes in relative order as to location. If the box is heavy, write heavy. If its light, write light/top load. Dont have them all mixed throughout the rooms. Try to keep stg boxes in one location and home boxes in another. This will help the driver out tremendously once he arrives to load. Nelson is a great company.

Best of luck,
Michael

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:35 pm

And of course to support Michael's point, MovingScam.com does offer FREE label templates that let your mover know that you're informed!

http://www.movingscam.com/files/labelTemplate.shtml

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:58 pm

Kristene,

Please be SURE to come back and post because yours will be our first review of Nelson Westerberg in any location.

Kristene

Re: Nelson Westerberg

Postby Kristene » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:56 pm

Yup, yup Diane! We're panic packing with less than 2 weeks to go. But as a former girl scout - I will give back to the community that has so generously contributed to me!

Thus far Nelson Westerberg has been great. Look for a full report soon! :D :D
Kristene

Return to “Open Community”