ALERT - avoid Move On Up (Brooklyn, NY)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
amy802

ALERT - avoid Move On Up (Brooklyn, NY)

Postby amy802 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:18 pm

We are moving from Waitsfield, VT (central VT) to the Raleigh / Durham area in North Carolina. We got a quote from MoveOnUp out of NYC (MC #505554) today. seems reasonable, not sure if anyone has heard of them. any reccomendations would be great!

Diane

Re: Bad Broker plus bad mover

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:33 pm

A safe choice would be Broadway Express--see almost 200 mostly rave reviews on a sticky at the top of the messageboard. Do not use a company located in NYC for a move from VT to NC!

MusicMom

Re: Bad Broker plus bad mover

Postby MusicMom » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:34 pm

Amy, I'm moving this to the Open Community.

MusicMom

Re: VT to NC move- Move On Up of NYC?

Postby MusicMom » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:36 pm

Well, I can tell you that the referneces on thier homepage (which is the ONLY page) prove they were moving illegally. One refernce is dated October 2004, and they've only been licensed since Jan of 2005. And, incidentally, in those 14 months, they've had their license revoked twice, for a couple months at a time. Do the math, and they only have 9 months of legal moves under their belts.

The fact that they have only two trucks and are attempting a move from NYC to FL is troubling as well. In general, one-or two- truck companies are not good at keeping with timeframes on long-distance moves, and will often subcontract those jobs to other movers, ones you have not approved of.

The BBB report has no information. If they are just now coming to light, my guess is that a complaint was turned in.

amy802

Postby amy802 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:43 pm

Wow thanks for all of the info. I have been looking on-line all day and did not come up with much about MoveOnUp. This has been very helpful!

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Fri May 12, 2006 6:44 pm

My girlfriend and I had a horrible experience with Move On Up. They raised the price *after* driving away with our stuff, lied to us about where it was in the country repeatedly, then delivered it THREE DAYS BEFORE WE WERE SCHEDULED TO MOVE IN, giving us only 6 hours warning that the truck was arriving. We had to bogart a friend's garage to store the stuff and then rent a Budget truck to move it all in ourselves.

I despise this company. Pleeeeease don't give them any business.

uggs

Postby uggs » Wed May 17, 2006 3:36 pm

I recently had a bad experience with Move On Up too - I'm guessing I could have described it as horrible if I actually proceeded with letting them do the job. They showed up way late, with too few guys and too small of a truck. They couldn't tell me where they were storing my stuff b/f I needed it moved across country, and were trying to get another truck in the area to help out too. Well I could go on, the point is that many red flags went up the minute I started having problems with them. Do not use them. Yes, a good initial quote from them, which was clearly going to double, is the reason we asked them to do the job. Bad idea. We are going with a local agent for a larger mover.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed May 17, 2006 3:43 pm

You are stronger than most people are at that point in time. I'm so gla that you were able to see all these red flags and get away from them!

Here's their license history, for anyone else thinking of using Move On Up:

Common license for Household goods, and Motor Property license
Granted Feb 1, 2005
Revoked March 7, 2005
Granted June 13, 2005
Revoked Jan 25, 2006
Granted March 16, 2006

This means of the 15 months they've been licensed, they've only HAD the license 9 months. TERRIBLE record.

Re: ALERT - avoid Move On Up (Brooklyn, NY)

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:10 pm

I am also having a terrible experience with the company. Its my first move and I liked their price. I unfortunately found out AFTER how they run business badly and also that you should go through a company that takes an itemized list also if they go through something relating to a tarrif that is good too (look that up, i cant tell you too much about it). This company gave an estimate of what a basic two bedroom is first off. We have waaaay more according to everyone I've talked to (I even tried to relate that to the man I talked to from the company).
Now that I want to cancel...I cant get a hold of anyone. I even resorted to telling them it was due to a death in the family and do not have the capabilities to move anymore. No response. I've left messages and someone even called me back this morning to get a billing address and I told her that I need to cancel and why. She said she'd have to check with her supervisor and get back to me. Nothing (its five and she called at 9:30). I'm going to take this out with my credit card company soon. Good thing about creidt cards is that they will sometimes help you cancel and fight payments from bad companies.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:44 pm

You should send a certified letter OVERNIGHT explaining that you want to cancel. When is your supposed pick up date?

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:05 pm

my move date is next week the 14th of august...we just got the estimate last week friday (last minute move).

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:28 am

I suggest you send that overnight certified letter immediately and maybe look at www.broadwayexpress.com to see if they can do it last minute. You can go to www.emove.com and look at the high rated movers in your area to do the loading and unloading or www.laborready.com. Good luck!

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:09 pm

just got my money back...i had to leave 2 more messages last night (one with the agent who quoted me). I talked to some guy when i pressed a number for the customer service department and he told me that they have a high volume of calls so it doesnt suprise him that i havent been called back yet (over two days). I got upset and said i either wanted a refund by 5 pm today or i would call my credit card company. He told me that he isnt even in the office right now so there is nothing he can do for me. I said well take down my name and give it to someone, he again said he can't do anything for me because he isnt in the office. Finally after I assured him that I was serious about calling my credit card company he said "Ok I'll see what I can do for your move from Atlanta to San Antonio" and hung up on me while I'm still talking (also, I'm moving from BUFFALO!!!!). So I called back again, and the lady that called me the other day answered and refunded me. She was scared I would be mean but I wasnt to her because she was nice enough to do what I told her at that point. ALL THAT HASSLE!!!

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:15 pm

Is she crediting your card or sending you a check?

sj132

Postby sj132 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:02 pm

too bad i found this site after i ask their help for moving from OH to Chicago,because my company relocate me in such a short notice, i called a few company and the quote they gave me seems reasonable and they told me i can get my stuff by 4 days. It was a really bad service and experience. I schedule to pick up on11/4/06 but then they called me and told me the truck is broken down and need to rescheduled to 11/5. So i said it's ok. When they come and pick up the stuff, they are really careless and seems like just throw my stuff to the truck. It has been a week But untill now i still haven't get my things and i try to call the dispatch and ask him where is my stuff. He told me that he cannot get a hold of the driver and do not know where is my stuff. Then i make a complaint to the customer service, and the lady is so rude and she told me that they are people, don't expect them to send my stuff so fast and accident will happen. And i told her that i will make a complaint and demand to talk to a supervisor, she then hung up on me. They even charged my credit card already, and i have no idea what i should do now. Does anyone can give me some advice? should i complaint to FMSCA or BBB before i get my things?

Return to “Open Community”