*Move currently in transit questions

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
canajo

*Move currently in transit questions

Postby canajo » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:47 pm

I have currently have a move in transit through North American AAdvantage out of Pensacola, FL to Connecticut (see my 2/19/06 posting.)I have a GNTE price of $3477 for 3450 lbs. While I am comfortable with the driver and how the packing and load went, I am not happy with the level of communication from AAdvantage.

I will go into more detail in a complete write up once the move is complete but I seem to be stuck in the middle of a "he said, they said" communication between the driver and the AAadvantage. The company claims the driver does not keep in contact with them and the driver said the company does not return his calls. The driver was completely frustrated with the company by the time he picked up my load.

I have requested, from the time that the driver loaded my shipment, the actual weight of my shipment and charges. It is a collect on delivery shipment. Per the "Your Rights and Responsibilities when You Move" publication, it appears they have to comply with this and give me the weight and charges within 24 hours of the delivery date, excluding weekends.

AAdvantage says the trucker has never contacted them with the load weight. I call them daily and check and they now say they have contacted the corporate office and told them to try to contact the driver.

If the weight of the shipment is the same or less, I should be getting a credit for the cost of 4 items that were not crated and mirror packed instead (long story..that is another part of the communication problems.)

Am I correct in assuming this 24 hour rule applies even though this is a GNTE shipment? What do I do if I do not find out the weight ahead of time. Should I hold them to this 24 hour rule? Should I be concerned?

moverjim

Re: Move currently in transit questions.

Postby moverjim » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:10 pm

TO PROTECT YOURSELF YOU SHOULD BE PREPARED TO PAY THE DRIVER THE GNTE PRICE AT DELIVERY. DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE TO GET THE MONIES.

ARE YOU PAYING BY CASHIER'S CHECK OR MONEY ORDER? IF SO GET A CHECK FOR 75% OF THE GNTE AND BE PREPARED TO PAY THE REMAINDER IN CASH OR TRAVELLERS CHECKS.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:22 pm

Hi canajo,

That 24 hour rule is a company policy, not a law. You're required to pay them 100% of a binding estimate at the date of delivery and you should be prepared to do so.

NOW.... your estimate is a GNTE estimate which isn't defined by law, but is defined by your contract. By law, if you have a problem with the weight that they are charging you for (and they haven't given you one) then you have the right to demand a re-weigh at no cost to you and to be present for it.

If you don't get clarification before delivery on the weight then demand a re-weigh. You'll go to a certified scale and get the gross weight. The movers will unload your belongings and you'll go back to a certified scale and get a "tare" (empty) weight. Do the math and that's what your shipment weighs. KEEP COPIES OF ALL OF DOCUMENTS YOU RECEIVE.

And finally... don't pay cash. Be prepared to go get a money order or cashiers' check. Leave a money trail with every transaction.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:48 pm

I would proceed with getting a cashiers check for the amount of your GNTE, and then NAVL will mail you a refund if the charges are less.

You should also get a copy of the weight certificates, and NAVL will give you an itemized invoice after delivery.

When did the shipment load?

canajo

Postby canajo » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:27 pm

I loaded on March 30th. My requested delivery time is from April 1 through the 12th. The driver thought he would be at my house at the end of this week.

I do not want to off load and reweigh as my entire shipment is comprised of valuable antiques and collectables from my mother's estate. I went with North American as they were the only ones that could reasonably assure me that the same driver would stay with my shipment.

The main thing I am concerned about is that I get credit for $550 worth of crating materials and labor that did not occur, plus the fact that the weight of those crates probably saved me some load weight. The items did not get crated as the packers showed up without being told about any crating being done. The main packer felt that most of the pieces could be padded and mirror packed and would actually fare better than being bumped around in a crate. I was comfortable with the packer's suggestion and gave him the go ahead. We did crate one piece of marble and they had to take that piece back with them to the warehouse.

Nancy, it sounds like NAVL will credit me with the non-crating...correct? I do know that the AAdvantage says that NAVL will audit the bill of lading to see if it is accurate.

If that is the case, should I go ahead and pay for the GNTE price with a certified check and hope that I get my money back for that crating! I am paying by certified check and I guess I should go ahead and have it ready. With the level of communication I have received so far, I will have 45 minutes notice like I did with the pick-up!

EastCoastMover

Postby EastCoastMover » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:47 pm

canajo..please send me a PM with your reference number...i wikll make a phone call tomorrow and get you an answer

IMP

Postby IMP » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:11 am

Since you have such a long delivery spread - why don't you call your sales rep and ask him to re-rate without the rating. MAYBE they will.

EastCoastMover

Postby EastCoastMover » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:31 pm

canajo..please let us know if you got the info you needed from the agent..

canajo

Postby canajo » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:07 pm

East coast mover-thanks for your help. Everything checked out. I had to call several times to AAdvantage but finally got ahold of them and got the adjusted price...$2398...a big savings. The driver called at noon today and was only 30 miles from my house. I made him wait until 3:30 p.m. as I was at work. I guess he didn't call me earlier as he lost his cell phone.

The driver and his helper were great! Everything so far has checked out fine with the exception that there may be two new dents on the top of an antique dresser. It is the one piece that I cared the most about! I took pictures beforehand of everything with the date noted in the photo, so I will have to check to see if it is new damage.

I do have to say I was pretty lucky. The one piece that they took back to the warehouse to crate they decided to mirror pack instead and they never told me. They never put my name nor an inventory sticker on it and it was just sitting in an unmarked box. Good thing the driver kept it straight in his shipment. How on earth would I ever been able to find it if it got mixed up in someone else's?

Thanks everyone for your concern and advice. You guys are GREAT!!!!!

I will write a complete review once I unpack everything and see if I had any other damage.

IMP

Postby IMP » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:59 am

I just love happy endings!

Return to “Open Community”