Any experience with Colorado movers?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
baqueen

Any experience with Colorado movers?

Postby baqueen » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:52 pm

(Sorry, previously posted, but I guess I forgot to login.)

I am moving from Colorado Springs to Florida. I have narrowed my beginning search to 3 local movers:

Pikes Peak Moving and Storage (Wheaton Van Lines)
Arrow Moving and Storage (Mayflower)
Armstrong Moving and Storage (United)

Has anyone has any experience with any of them? Can anyone give me any hints? I've found lots of good info on this site, and the task seems slightly less overwhelming since I've started reading on here...but still daunting!

Diane

Re: Any experience with Colorado movers?

Postby Diane » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:47 pm

We know a bit about Armstrong. Here's what has been posted here:
Diane wrote:--Armstrong Moving and Storage (United) in Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, and Denver.
"Rick" (industry expert) said that all of Armstrong's 21 offices nationwide are generally good although there are some service complaints just because of the company's size.
"gail" had a very good move from Colorado Springs to FL with Armstrong (I believe it was a self-haul) although the workers in FL had some attitude problems:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 4318#34318 (interstate)
"turkey79" posted a rave review of a move with them from Denver to Berkeley, CA--his rep was Freddie and I believe this was a self-haul:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7172#47172 (interstate)
"CKSpeed" has a good preliminary review of a move with them from Denver to Seattle--his rep was also Freddie:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6048 (interstate)

I don't know anything about the other two. Industry pros often say that as a smaller van line, Wheaton may not be ideal for a very long-distance move.

baqueen

Postby baqueen » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:04 am

Wow, thanks for the info!

Armstrong had already seemed to be the one with the most things stacked in its favor (according to the "How to Find a Reputable Moving Company" article), so this is really helpful.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:51 am

Great - glad we could help. Since I'm trying to amass info on moving companies state by state and I have very little on Colorado, anything you can tell us about your experience dealing with the Pikes Peak and Arrow reps would be very helpful. Also, please post about your final move, whoever you choose. I am wondering whether your Armstrong rep was Freddie since two other people mentioned her.

baqueen

Postby baqueen » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:55 am

I'll be working on that pretty heavily the next few days, and will be sure to report back...besides, I'll probably have a lot more questions before I'm done! Also will promise a final report when the move is over... :D

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:02 am

Just a note that Pikes Peak won a quality award from the van line in 2004, which is probably a plus although industry people posting here have said that some agents receiving the Wheaton awards aren't so hot. (About a fifth of all Wheaton agents receive the award each year.)

I asked a friend in the industry to research Arrow's internal quality scores from the van line. He reported that on 'Overall Performance of the Move' they ranked 3 stars, meets expectations. On 'Willingness to Recommend', they ranked 4 stars, above average. (This is not anything to write home about--the ranking is from 1 through 5 with 5 being highest.)

baqueen

Re: *Any experience with Colorado movers?

Postby baqueen » Tue May 02, 2006 5:37 pm

Well, it's been a hectic time, but here's an update:

Of the 3 companies, I was impressed with both Armstrong (United) and Arrow (Mayflower). Both representatives - Patrick from Armstrong and Art from Arrow - were professional, courteous, and extremely helpful. (Diane, the reason I probably had Patrick is that I'm in Colorado Springs...it seems the others who had comments and mentioned Freddie were all from the Denver area.)

Pikes Peak Moving & Storage (Wheaton) on the other hand, was a different story. The representative went to the wrong house, apparently, when he came out to give me the estimate. A half-hour after our appointment, I called, and was told that he had been out to my house, and I wasn't there! Of course, I had been the whole time. It turned out he had the wrong address, and didn't have a cell phone and didn't bother to call me even after he'd returned to his office. He came right out again, but my first impression wasn't good...he was scruffy and bedraggled and looked like he had been loading trucks himself. He didn't have any of the computer equipment the others had, but instead came in with a legal pad and pen to write everything down! Needless to say, it took forever. Then he had to go back to the office to get the estimate - and called after he'd promised it and said he'd gotten behind and would get it to me in a couple of days. (As opposed to the other 2 representatives, who entered everything into their computers and printed out the estimate while they were at my home.)

He has never called back to follow up on anything (but that's okay, because when I first laid eyes on him I doubted I would be going with his company!).

Anyway, that left me with an equally good impression of both the other companies. I had asked each of them for additional information (claim rates, references, and info on moving my car and our cat), and they each promptly got me that information. Both of them gave me essentially the same estimate ($8,198.70 for 12,600 lbs. That's a binding estimate that includes full-value insurance coverage with a $500 deductible.). Both of them will self-haul, and promise a delivery date (things that were important to me).

I decided on Armstrong, ultimately, because there were favorable reviews on this website, and because they're the official movers for the Broadmoor here in Colorado Springs, which I figure must count for something! In addition, they've been in business for nearly 50 years, apparently, and their owner is now on the board of United Van Lines. So...Arrow had nothing against them, it was only that Armstrong had more going for them.

So today I signed the paperwork with Armstrong. Our move date is still up in the air, because we're waiting for our house to be completed, but it will be within the next 3 weeks. I will check back in and give a report of how it goes, and also let you know if anything new occurs.

If you have any questions in the meantime, ask away! And thanks for all the info I've found on this site so far...it's helped me feel much more confident through this process.

growingfamily

Postby growingfamily » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:32 pm

I am curious how the move went. WE are in the Springs and looking to move to TX.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:35 pm

You could send him/her a Private Message to ask. This is the problem . . . many people never come back to report and of course very few people would be browsing the messageboard after they move. (The asterisk in the topic heading is my way of reminding myself that we're waiting to hear.)

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:38 pm

I like to hope that no news is good news.. If the move had gone sour, we probably would have heard it...

If she moved with Armstrong, it should have gone smoothly.

Armstrong is one of the strongest United agents.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

baqueen

Postby baqueen » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:25 pm

Actually, I HAD come back and posted after they came and packed...I don't know what happened to that one...maybe I posted it in the wrong section, or hit the wrong button when I went to submit it? I wondered why no one had ever commented on what I said...now I see my post isn't there. I'd been meaning to get back on here and post the final result...tonight is the first e-mail I've received that said anyone had posted anything in response to my earlier reports.

Briefly, the move went TERRIFIC! I would recommend Armstrong to anyone and everyone. Every single step of the way was handled beautifully, and without any stress to me whatsoever. The packers, the loaders, the driver and unloaders, and the man who transported my car (everything happened so quickly when it was time to move that I didn't have time to drive it down myself). Not one thing was lost, broken or scratched, the unloaders put forth a herculean effort to make sure that not even walls, floors or carpeting were scratched or soiled in the new house...everything went off without a hitch. Very nice and professional crew at each step of the way, too.

We tipped quite a bit, we thought - about $50 per person at each stage, along with providing muffins in in the morning when they arrived, getting lunch for them from Subway, and providing soda and bottled water all day, as well as going out and getting them ice cream in the afternoon! Our cash tips ended up being about $600, and were worth every cent. Again, there couldn't have been a nicer and more helpful crew. Each crew (packing, loading and unloading) worked 8-10 hours on each of the 3 days.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:39 pm

Thanks so much for coming back! This rounds it out and now I can take away my asterisk . . . :wink:

If you see this, I am wondering whether this was a company-paid move and whether Armstrong moved your car as well as your household goods. If not, what company moved your car?

baqueen

Postby baqueen » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:01 am

We paid for our own move, and Armstrong arranged the car move for us, too.

Return to “Open Community”