Moving from Durham, NC to Birmingham, AL mid-May

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
AndrewB

Moving from Durham, NC to Birmingham, AL mid-May

Postby AndrewB » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:24 pm

I have obtained three in-home estimates, from Excel Moving and Storage (Allied), Lawrence Transportation (United), and Ray Moving and Storage (Mayflower). I've seen some good comments about all 3 on this board, but I'm having a hard time searching Excel on safersys.org. Anybody have any personal experience with these companies? I'm trying to decide which one to go with. Thanks!

Diane

Re: Moving from Durham, NC to Birmingham, AL mid-May

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:30 pm

You should sign up for membership here and send a Private Message to "Michael" to ask how he would rank those three companies. He already posted that he would rank Armstrong above Excel. Also, "PMueller" works for Allied and she can tell you Excel's internal quality scores if you send her a PM.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:39 pm

Excel is a good company. But before I would suggest which one to move with or who to consider more then the other, I would ask to know the weights and types of estimates given (not to exceed, TPG, non binding etc).

If I had to rate based on the three just by name I would go Lawrence, Excel and Ray. Not much of an edge from first to second.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

AndrewB

Postby AndrewB » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:32 pm

Excel and Lawrence both estimated 3500 lbs, and Ray's was 3200. I think 3500 lbs is the more accurate weight estimate. Excel's estimate is a TPG. Ray's is not-to-exceed, and Lawrence's is binding. Thank you for your help!

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:58 pm

Both Excel and Lawrence then both gave you binding. Which means if your weight goes down you still pay for the 3500 pounds.

Just based on the type of bids and weights being all within 10% of eachother and Rays giving you a not to exceed, I would give the nod to Rays.

If you can get Lawrence to give you a not to exceed, that would put them back in the hunt.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:46 am

Or ask Excel for a TPG with GRR (Guaranteed Rate Reduction). That converts the TPG quote to a GNTE.

Return to “Open Community”