Moving from Chicago to Detroit

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Wolve

Moving from Chicago to Detroit

Postby Wolve » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:36 pm

I'm moving from Chicago to Detroit in mid-June. Do you guys have any recommendations of moving companies. I have moved from Chicago once before a few years ago, and got burned. Bad.

Obviously, i don't want to a repeat performance. This is a bigger move.

Any good suggestions would be great!

This site is awesome.

Diane

Re: Moving from Chicago to Detroit

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:14 pm

Begin by reading this article for a general orientation to the issues in choosing a moving company. Then, you might want to look at this post summarizing what has been said on this website about Chicago-area moving companies. As a matter of policy, MovingScam.com does not endorse any full-service mover, but this may give you an idea of some companies to get quotes from - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 9609#49609 I think Wm Meyers (Paul Arpin) in Itasca might be one to consider if they can move you using their own truck and driver.

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:20 pm

Thanks. I understand the policy and agree with it. I read the article before and it is very helpful. I actually received a phone call merely an hour after asking for some quote online. They are doing in-home estimate and said they'll do a flat rate and it is a straight delivery. Only has 5 drivers though and frankly I'm little wary. Never had had an inspection. The name is Galaxy Van Lines.

I'm still unclear about insurance though. Do you purchase insurance/valuation on individual items, the entire freight, both?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:41 am

AVOID Galaxy and any other company you've never heard of that contacts you as a result of information that you posted on the Internet. Someone will be along to tell you why, but take my word for it.

As for purchasing valuation coverage, you put a value on your entire shipment but if you have high-value items you have to list them separately. Sales reps from legitimate companies can explain this to you.

IMP

Postby IMP » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:26 pm

Somewhere, Diane has posted a list of movers in Chicago with whom others on this board have had experiences, either positive or negative. Look for that list, and contact a few to do an in-home, written, not-to-exceed estimate. Off the top of my head - Nelson Westerberg (Atlas) and either Planes or Armstrong Relocation (both United) come to mind. Try to get them to send out an estimator. Mid-June may seem an eternity away right now, but you will be doing yourself a world of good to get estimates and lock in with a mover now rather than waiting as that is crunch time.

Postby Guest » Tue May 09, 2006 7:58 am

STAY AWAY FROM GALAXY!!!

We just used them for a move from WI to TX. Showed up late, quoted $4800, had a Enterprise rent a truck, walked through the house and said all my stuff would fit. They ended up leaving things behind and charging another $4500. Held stuff hostage.

Currently in the process of legal action.

Mannix

Postby Mannix » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:18 pm

I agree, stay away from Galaxy. I had a very bad move from them. A couple of people have emailed me after I posted about them on my blog who have had even worse experiences than I did.

John11

Postby John11 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:43 pm

:D I moved with Galaxy Van Lines from IL to TX , the company did an excellent job.

They were very proffesional, did a good packing, picked up and delivered right on time.

They gave me a good price and I would recommend this company to anybody who's moving a long distance move.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:46 pm

You moved from IL to TX, but you're posting from IL again? Where Galaxy is located? Hmmm...

Your move wasn't by any chance in June, when their license was revoked, only two months after receiving it? Or did you write one of the two complaints they've already received? No, those are probably from the people who have already written on this thread about their moves with Galaxy.

Come on!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:50 pm

I did add Galaxy to the list of movers using Anthem Claims Management, though. That's a BIG ringing endorsement!

Return to “Open Community”