Moving within Manhattan

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
AndyB

Moving within Manhattan

Postby AndyB » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:11 pm

I am looking for a mover to move me and my stuff about 1/2 mile within Manhattan all the way downtown in the Financial district. I have a couple of large screen tvs and other electronic equipment, office furniture that includes a large, pretty heavy desk, king-sized bed and bedroom set and a couple of leather couches and wall units. The last time I moved I used Moishe's and it was a terrible experience I do not care to repeat. Any guidance you can give me in this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks... AndyB

Diane

Re: Moving within Manhattan

Postby Diane » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:44 pm

Hi - the company with the best reviews here for local moves is All Star Moving in Brooklyn (phone 718-643-4705). Here is their review thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2038 I know the owner, estimator, and office person personally and I feel sure that the company would do a good job for you.

If possible, could you please elaborate on what went wrong with your move with Moishe's? We have had widely varying reports. The testimonials on their website indicate that Charlie Rose was very happy with them, for example.

AndyB

Postby AndyB » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:35 pm

Thanks Diane, I am going to give Allstar a call on Monday.

As for Moishe's, I have moved with them 3 or 4 times, having moved my office with them as well. The last two times they were undermanned, and the estimate has been way, way off. 3 1/2 years ago I moved from Queens to Manhattan, and a move that started at 8AM did not end until 1AM in Manhattan, and included them sending additional workers over from another job.

I gave them another chance this past year, Summer 2005, to move some office furniture less than a mile, and into my apartment. The pieces were heavy (a huge desk, and a large credenza), and their guys were simply too small to handle them. Pieces were torn off the base of the desk, and they just generally made a mess of the finish on all 3 pieces they moved.
Good news was that they have a world-class refinisher who came by 3 weeks later and redid the edging for a few hours, truly like new.

Bottom line is that not only did they tear the wallpaper in the hallway (getting me a $250 bill from my landlord, that they were very slow to take care of, assuming it has been done even yet! --- I called 3x about it, as they were going to take care of it), but the move cost at least 70% more than estimated, which has been the case on my past 2 moves. I am done with them, and now you know why!

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:42 pm

Thanks for this report - I'm sure that either Rich (the owner) or Nick (the estimator) will come to look at your things, and at that time be sure to tell them your concerns about the heavy items and not damaging the premises. All Star's reviews are all very good so you should be OK. They don't even advertise but have an excellent reputation in the city mainly by word of mouth.

Other companies that you might want to consider for your move, based on reviews and comments here, are Delancey Street-NY in Brewster, Dahill (Mayflower) in Brooklyn, and Big John's in Manhattan.

Return to “Open Community”