ALERT - avoid California New York Express

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
nodose

ALERT - avoid California New York Express

Postby nodose » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:11 pm

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with California New York Express? I have seen a couple of complaints on forums such as these, but the company has a decent (though not excellent) rating from the BBB. A friend recommended the company after having a good experience with them, but I am wondering if anyone out there has any different opinions. I have more time than usual to perform my move, so I am not too conderned about how quickly the company completes the move, but am more concerned about how honest the company is about pricing. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Diane

Re: California New York Express

Postby Diane » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:14 pm

I myself would never use this company. I saw one of its trucks on the CA 405 Freeway recently and it was pathetic. You should do a search on "California New York Express" to see what has been said about them here, and then make up your own mind. Just remember, local and long-distance are two different animals in the moving business. You have far fewer legal protections when you are moving interstate. If cost is a concern, please consider using the freight company Broadway Express for a safe, reliable move.

moverjim

Postby moverjim » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:12 am

NODOSE,

THEIR BBB REPORT SHOWS 33 COMPLAINTS. 20 FOR FAILURE TO HONOR THEIR CONTRACT, AND THE OTHER 13 FOR REFUSING TO MAKE A PARTIAL OR FULL REFUND. YOU CALL THAT "DECENT". LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE ABOUT TO BE SCAMMED.

Unhappyuser

California New York Express were horrible

Postby Unhappyuser » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:21 am

1. DO NOT SIGN ANY RELEASES UNLESS YOU ARE 100% SURE: Open every cabinet and look in every corner to be SURE they have taken everything. Despite me reminding them 3 times, they left all the pots and pans in the kitchen. 2. DO NOT USE THE HIGHLIGHTER THEY PROVIDEE WHEN TRACKING INVENTORY: When they arrive with the delivery site, no matter what, sit at the front door and do not let anyone in with any box that you do not carefully inventory using a pen that does through to the carbon copy they provide. As you must indicated any damage, you need to unpack every single box at the door threshold- to see if there is anything damaged and mark it on the inventory sheet. But if you begin to unpack while they are delivering, they will claim at the end that there is no way to locate all stickers not accounted for in the inventory. If you sign the paperwork, you absolved them of any responsibility for any missing boxes. If you use the highlighter they provide, when they give you the carbon copy you cannot even see which boxes are missing. Be sure you mark every broken item in the remarks section of the paperwork. Of course, these means you need to inspect every item to make sure it is not damaged before the movers can leave and before you sign any releases. 3. If you take the insurance they recommend, the moving company needs to be the one who packs each and every box. If you pack a box, the insurance will not cover anything broken, Ironically, everything that broke on my move was something they packed. Of course, if you have a large move it takes time to unpack and inspect everything. So don’t give back the paperwork until you have noted any damage. Of course, the movers would never agree to this. So you are SOL. Interested in creating a class of folks to file a class-action suit? Too bad, the paperwork includes a clause that prevents you from participating in any class-action.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:56 am

Why would you want to file a class action lawsuit? Did you purchase valuation from the moving company? Did they not pay you for your claim? You're not very specific.

California New York Express's Legal name is:
Five Years From Now, Inc
1260 PALMETTO ST
LA CA 90013
(888) 680-7200
Fax: (501) 646-6326
http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... _name=FIVE^YEARS^FROM^NOW^INC&pv_pref_docket=MC342923&pv_usdot_no=795816&pv_vpath=LIVIEW
They've had multiple revocations.

http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Busin ... D=13093412
27 complaints in the past 36 months - They have a "B" Rating
Last edited by farrah7031 on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:59 am

It also looks like they can do intrastate moves now within CA:
http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/tmis/det_MTR0189066.htm

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:40 pm

You cannot sign away your right to file a class action lawsuit. File anyway, that waiver will not hold up in court.

Return to “Open Community”