Minneapolis to Chicago

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
sleepingkerri

Minneapolis to Chicago

Postby sleepingkerri » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:47 am

We're moving from Minneapolis to Chicago at the end of April (right around the corner!) We got in-home, binding not to exceed estimates from three van line agents: Ace Worldwide (Atlas), United and Mayflower.

Ace Worldwide (Atlas) DOT 125550 MC 79658
2929 Long Lake Rd, Roseville MN 5113
651-636-0400
Est. Weight: 3119
Quote: 1703 (not including shuttles)

Metcalf Moving/Storage Co., Inc. (Mayflower) DOT 697810 MC 323201
1255 E. Highway 36
St. Paul, MN 55109
Est. Weight: 4000
Quote: 3027.99 (including shuttles at dest. and orig.)

Mohawk Moving & Storage Co. (United Van Lines) DOT 624078
MC 177170
8271 W. 35W Service Dr.
Minneapolis, MN 55449
763-784-1000
Est. Weight: 4175
Quote: 3532

We've moved several times before. We moved here from the chicago area, about a year ago to complete an internship. I believe the actual weight was about 2500 and it cost about $1500 to move here, so this is looking really expensive, especially since we're broke. It's the shuttles that throw me off because they show up as about $1000 extra for both! They didn't seem to have any trouble finding a spot here when we moved into this apt complex (not sure the size of the truck, but they blocked some car in until the driver came out, then they moved--no shuttle charges there). Any advice?

I was most impressed with the Ace Worldwide agent, who discussed our rights, was professional and knowledgeable, and was very up front about everything.

Thanks to the people who keep this site going, it's been invaluable! And thanks in advance for any advice.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry, and is generally considered to have been a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Diane

Re: Minneapolis to Chicago

Postby Diane » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:43 pm

You could use Broadway Express, which would charge you $1734 for 10 linear feet of space (their minimum, although you probably have about 7 feet). Although this is the same as the Ace quote, you would save on the shuttle because you could rent a small van like a U-Haul for much less than a major van line would charge you for a shuttle. The Broadway driver would almost certainly try to get away without using a shuttle, but in Chicago that's very difficult. Probably you would end up paying less than $1900 with Broadway including loading and unloading labor, the driver's assistance, and the shuttle, which would save you at least $800. This is just a thought. Only you can decide whether that saving would be worth the hassle.

sleepingkerri

Postby sleepingkerri » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:03 am

Thanks for the advice! I had already chosen Ace Worldwide because our move is coming up in about a week. I did look into Broadway Express, but felt it would be as expensive as the full service mover what with all the help loading and unloading and paying the driver. They added the shuttle cost into the binding estimate, and listed it as $190 which is a lot less than the other movers. The total not to exceed estimate was about $2000. I know we have less than 3000 pounds so hopefully we will pay less (they will give us the weigh-in receipt at destination.)
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry, and is generally considered to have been a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:06 am

Great price - please do come back to post because we have almost no reviews of Minneapolis companies.

sleepingkerri

Postby sleepingkerri » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:56 pm

The move went pretty well. When they came to pick up our stuff in Minneapolis, we told them to take the broom and vacuum cleaner last because we were cleaning the place as they loaded our stuff. When they were done loading, they left without the vacuum cleaner and broom! We had to call them and someone had to come back for them. This was very inconvenient for us because we had to wait around in an empty apartment and it delayed our going in search of some breakfast/lunch. They did not keep a running tab on what they were putting in the truck (i.e. writing the tag numbers for each item), they said the original list of items to be moved would suffice. I don't think that's right--they are supposed to have a packing/loading list so you can say this is what they took, make sure what you get back, and they can keep track of it as well.

Just recently (months after moving) we tried to use our HP scanner and it didn't work. However, we didn't list it as a luxury item so with the basic insurance, we wouldn't have gotten much by claiming it as damaged. It was several years old. I think they are not careful with the stuff, they seemed to be mandhandling it. Otherwise everthing came through basically unscathed.

They picked our stuff up on Thursday and delivered it to us on Monday. That's a pretty good turnaround time. On the downside, we're pretty sure the weight was somehow exaggerated. They gave us a receipt that had a weight written on it, but anyone could do that (there was nothing to ensure it was official, no stamp, printout, nothing). We knew what the weight was the last time we moved, and we hadn't bought anything new while in Minneapolis. We did end up paying exactly $2,000 (and I didn't personally think that was a great price because we've moved more cheaply in the past, and this time we had to use credit cards to pay it; it was money we didn't have.)

As always, I was relieved when we got everything back that they transported. Overall, they rate ok/good--but not great. You have to decide for yourself if you're thinking of using them.

Diane

Re: *Minneapolis to Chicago

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:16 pm

I agree with you that your move seems somewhat odd, with no inventory list or bingo sheet and no official weight tickets presented. I don't know what people in the industry think about this.

Anyway, thanks for the report and I added it to my summary post in Minnesota movers. My reason for saying that your price was good is that it was almost exactly what you would have paid to use Broadway Express, including loading and unloading labor, and BE is usually at least 30% below the cost of a reputable full-service moving company like Ace. However, the distance is only 350 miles and this could have been a case where BE was high because of a fluke in the way they quote (by area rather than distance).

Return to “Open Community”