Grad students moving from Ann Arbor

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Newguyfrommi

Grad students moving from Ann Arbor

Postby Newguyfrommi » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:44 am

Go Blue for all you Univ. of Michigan grad students-- 8)

This forum has been awesome for info (esp the posts from Diane and Michael on SE Michigan movers). Since I've seen a lot of posts of fellow students coming to Ann Arbor, but very few about those of us leaving Ann Arbor, I thought I'd post my moving experiences going from Ann Arbor to Indianapolis. Planning on moving in June 2006--debating about self-move versus commerical move.

Here's my status so far:
Self-move: Most comfortable with this option since it's only 280 miles to Indy and I've done 3 major cross-country moves myself (MT to WA, WA to CA, CA to MI) using UHaul and Budget x2. Cutting right to the chase on rental trucks---I will never use U Haul or Budget again. I will definitely use Penske--not the low price leader, but they have quality trucks that I've used in town for local stuff. I got an online quote for the move with a 16 ft truck with an AAA discount of $400 (including hand dolly and 1 dz pads, not including insurance yet). Skip the next paragraph if you don't what to read why I won't use UHaul/Budget.

U Haul b/c there trucks are horribly maintained (my truck from MT was great, but only b/c the owner of the shop was a personal friend and made sure we were taken care of, lots of friends have been burned by UHaul for long moves). Budget was great for the WA to CA move including a tow dolly from my 4D Honda Accord (even over the mountain passes!). But when I moved to MI 2 years later (2002) same rig 16 ft truck with dolly, Budget was near bankruptcy, and they were retreading their tires to cut costs. So what you ask--I had the left rear outter tire retread come off in NM--this ripped the main fuel raiser to the filling cap completely off! :shock: To Budget's credit, the tow man came quickly and fixed the tire, but he didn't know the riser was gone (it's right above the tire!--I didn't know it either). So off we drive in a massive rain storm and fortunately no water got into the gas tank. Had to jury rig a rubber hose to fill the tank to get to next major budget repair facility. And guess what 10 miles from the facility, the left inner reartread comes off....In any event, Budget fixed that and the riser, I only lost a day overall so it wasn't bad at all, and the repair guys at Budget were very pleasant . :)

I know next to nothing about commercial movers, so I found some great links on this site and helpful info from Diane and Michael on SE Michigan movers. Here's what I've got so far:

Moving rights:
http://www.protectyourmove.gov/consumer ... rights.htm

MSN Money tips (hidden costs of moving and how to avoid scams):
http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Ban ... 121550.asp

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Sav ... 102542.asp

Handy moving calculator that helped me budget:
http://www.homefair.com/homefair/servle ... calculator

Helped me to select some movers with good reps (recommended by Clark Howard, Atlanta radio host who tries to protect consumers--he also recommended coming to these forums too)

http://www.moving.org/

Using Moving.org, I asked for 3quotes from Corrigan, DMS (which I'm glad I did since, Diane and Michael have posted multiple positive comments about them), and the loser so far Men on the Move. I requested an in-home quote yesterday...they sent me an internet quote for $4200 for 4000 pds full pack out...please!! I live in a 675 sq foot apartment with no real heavy funiture. Having packed my stuff 3 times now--I know for a fact I can barely fill 2/3 of 16 ft Budget truck with all my gear.

Alright that's it so far, I'll post how it goes with DMS and Corrigan.

:wink:

P.S. Found this on the moving rights site...it's great--you can look up interstate movers by name or DOT #, see if they have a recorded accident in the past 24 mos, the insurance on file etc...awesome

http://ai.volpe.dot.gov/hhg/search.asp

Diane

Re: Grad students moving from Ann Arbor

Postby Diane » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:29 pm

Thanks for all this info. Yes, Corrigan and DMS are both supposed to be great. Not sure where Men on the Move is HQd but I will add it to my MI "avoid" list. Just as a matter of interest, Broadway Express would charge $927 to move 10 linear feet (their minimum; you have less than that) from Ann Arbor to Indianapolis. I think Penske sounds good, but if you want to avoid the hassle of driving, you might consider it.

Newguyfrommi

Postby Newguyfrommi » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:24 pm

Thanks for the tip on Broadway Express Diane...I'd definitely prefer to have someon move me so I can spend more time with my new son. :lol:

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:28 am

Yes go blueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, but you forgot and golddddddddddddddddddddddd for of course Notre Dame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Both Corrigan and DMS are great companies, not suppose to be great companies. That doesnt mean they havent had negative experiences with clients. But the most important thing, they do the right thing and they arent in the scamming business. and thats what this site is about, helping people from being scammed, not guaranting that they wont have an issue of service with their mover. As highly as I think of those two I would never tell someone that they wouldnt have a service issue. Thats way out of my control. Especially with summer time COD moves. But thats true with any company.

I would agree with Diane that if broadway express can do it cheaper and all you have to do is load and unload (I know we make it sound so easy) then that might be your best option, but of course that depends on where your at in Ann Arbor and if a trailer is allowed on your street?

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:14 pm

Ahh, thpbpbpbpbpbpb to Notre Dame. Go Blue! ('99 master's in music here)

Newguyfrommi

Postby Newguyfrommi » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:28 pm

Well no joy with DMS (Atlas in Canton)--very polite on the phone, but unfortunately, because I live in a 1 br apt and can't fill a truck, I would have to be very flexible on delivery dates by about a week since I'm moving in prime moving season. Basically, I would have pack-out on a Friday and my small amount of belongings would be delivered on an unspecified day of the following week. Unfortunately, I start work the following week so an unspecified day won't work too well.

Bummer...at least the rep recommended I call the local companites Corrigan (a plus in my mind since it's gotten good reviews on the forum--in home estimate scheduled this Thursday afternoon) and Morse Moving.

Has anyone heard of Morse Moving (Allied Agent)? I'm going to search for them on the forum.

More to follow...

P.S....well after reading some mixed reviews in the forums on Morse in Bellville, I may not even call them for an estimate...we'll see....jeez I really don't want to load my own truck again....

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:39 pm

Newguy,

Atlas' delivery spreads arent the greatest. They increased them 2 days more from last year. But you have to keep in mind its not cost effective to ship a truck with hardly anything on it a great distance or even a short distance. Also with companies showing a shortage of drivers and many of them not having the capability of picking you up directly, you could have even bigger issues down the road if you ran into one of those companies. (Even though your move should be a self haul)

And in the end it might not take as long as the spread. But I would rather lose a move because I cant make their dates then make a promise I cant control or keep.

Corrigan has a larger hauling fleet then DMS but you might run into the same situation with them too.

Best of luck and most importantly go ND!!! :lol:
Michael

Newguyfrommi

Postby Newguyfrommi » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:15 pm

Michael wrote:Newguy,

Atlas' delivery spreads arent the greatest. They increased them 2 days more from last year. But you have to keep in mind its not cost effective to ship a truck with hardly anything on it a great distance or even a short distance. Also with companies showing a shortage of drivers and many of them not having the capability of picking you up directly, you could have even bigger issues down the road if you ran into one of those companies. (Even though your move should be a self haul)

And in the end it might not take as long as the spread. But I would rather lose a move because I cant make their dates then make a promise I cant control or keep.

Corrigan has a larger hauling fleet then DMS but you might run into the same situation with them too.

Best of luck and most importantly go ND!!! :lol:

Yup, yup...I'm coming to realize the harsh realities of economics in moving :( but it's okay :P gotta learn sometime. At least all my stuff still fits snugly into a mid-size Penske...all I need is some mattress bags, some more boxes and viola...

ND...must be North Dakota eh? :roll: :wink:

Thanks everyone...keep ya posted....

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:19 pm

Well you must admit then that North Dakota has some great taste in how they designed the ND on their hockey jerseys. Looks just like the real ND.

Keep us posted on what you do.

Best of luck,
Michael

Newguyfrommi

Postby Newguyfrommi » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:07 pm

bump--- just kidding...quick update....had the Corrigan (United) in-home estimate today. Was very impressed with the sales rep, presented me the Your Rights pamphlet, also gave me references to call of people recently moved etc.

In the end though the delivery spread was between 2-12 days since I have about 4300 pds. The total not-to-exceed price was about $3200 (full insurance, a $400 shuttle fee since the big truck won't fit in my apartment complex etc). The discount rates were fully disclosed--my rate for the dates I was moving was 63%. All in all I felt Corrigan was true to the reputation posted on the forum. 8)

I decided since I could rent a Penske truck for $479 (which includes 2 extra days, 2 dz blankets) that I would move myself instead. I can't wait for my stuff that long because of my new job. I have most of my own boxes already from the 3 previous moves, but I'll buy some from Sam's club (excellent post from someone about the moving kits at places like Costco etc.).

I will say that if I move from Indy and have enough stuff ie a full house that fills 1/2 a 53 foot truck...I would definitely call Corrigan even though they are in Ann Arbor to move me.

Well I'll keep you all posted...move in mid-June so I'm sure this thread will be buried deep by then!
:lol:

Hmm maybe by then ND will be a better football team??!! :wink: hehehe good thing I have no true allegiance to UM--just can't resist goading someone else on the boards....

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:42 am

Newguyfrommi wrote:Has anyone heard of Morse Moving (Allied Agent)? I'm going to search for them on the forum.

I had a great move with Morse back in 1998. It was a one bedroom apartment from Farmington Hills, MI to Rolling Meadows, IL (just west of O'Hare). They were at my place in Farmington at 9am on Friday, had the truck loaded by 10am, and my stuff was delivered to my new apartment by 12noon the NEXT day. This was an off-season corporate move, the company I worked for at the time had just gone through a big expansion and we were a pretty major account for Allied in the mid-late 90s... I'm not sure I would have gotten that kind of service if I had been a private pay in the middle of the summer, though.
"Never use the words 'only' and 'killed' in the same sentence." --Prof. Robert Harmon, Hillsdale College

Return to “Open Community”