Moving from Rochester, NY

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
doe

Moving from Rochester, NY

Postby doe » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:07 am

Hi- I am glad I stumbled across this site. I have gained some good information. We are moving from Rochester, NY to Salt Lake City, UT. I read a little about Clark Moving and Storage and it seems good. We got a quote from there. We have a little unique situation because we have two other families that are also grad students moving to the same area. We found out that if we all move together we can get a better rate and get our stuff there sooner. Any advice on good companies? I have United coming tomorrow (Cook Moving Systems, INC.) and also wonder about Graebel. We want to use a full service company (We pack- they load and drive). Our two friends have their companies giving an allowance for the move- but got a super high estimate when telling that info to Allied (that their company was paying).

I read some bad things about Mayflower on epinions but don't know if that would effect our move since it would be with Clark. I don't know how that works with them being subcontractors. Also, I was concerned with them not giving an exact date that our stuff would arrive - they said anywhere from 1-2 weeks.

We were given a quote of $7500 but if we move with our one set of friends who have the same amount of stuff- $11, 500 for both of us. A significant savings.

Anyhow, that is our scoop. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Diane

Re: Moving from Rochester, NY

Postby Diane » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:28 am

Hi - the comments and one review that we have of Clark (Mayflower) sound very good to me. If I were you I would team up with your friend and move with them. Don't worry too much about the Epinions remarks. Just like the person who reviewed Clark, you may get an excellent United Van Lines driver and in any case there are many very good Mayflower agents, and Clark seems to be one of them. I would be interested in your impressions of the Cook estimator if you want to post them, and also, please report back after the move, whoever you choose, so we can build up our database here.

thethinman

Postby thethinman » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:33 am

I have used the Atlas agent in Rochester, Lafayette Moving. I believe they are in West Henrietta. They have done deliveries for me on international moves, as well as origin work. Always helpful. I cannot say how they are with domestic van line moves. Check them out.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:07 pm

Thanks for this and I'll add it to my notes on Rochester moving companies. There is another Atlas agent in the area (Lincoln) but it has some bad comments here about delay and poor communication during the summer season.

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:07 pm

Thanks for the replies. I will look into Atlas as well. I will let you know what we decide and how it goes.

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:06 pm

A little update- I spoke with someone from United (Cook Moving and Storage). I was impressed by their services. It turned out that his estimate was 3000 lbs. more than the Mayflower agent and I discovered that Mayflower (Clark) doesn't have a not to exceed clause and Cook does. So, I don't know which estimate is accurate- but I'd rather be safe and definately want a not to exceed clause!

We also talked to someone from Allied (Champion Movers) and really liked the estimator. They also have a not to exceed clause. His quote was similar to Cook Moving. It seems like I have seen more negative reviews on Allied than United on various websites. Any thoughts about them? I still need to contact Atlas.

Does it mean anything that Champion Movers aren't registered with the BBB?

Is it worth it to get the extra insurance that these companies offer?

thanks for any advice

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon May 01, 2006 1:28 am

Hi - I know that someone who used to post here who is an industry expert ("Rick") mentioned that Champion was a good company. No, I don't think it means anything that it doesn't have a BBB report. I agree with you that you should try to get GNTE estimates.

Most people think that United is the strongest van line, followed by Atlas.

Return to “Open Community”