Moving from FL to NYC

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ecolman

Moving from FL to NYC

Postby ecolman » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:40 pm

I just got two quotes and I'm wondering if they're high for the type of move I'm going to be doing. I'm going from Delray Beach, FL to Manhattan, NY. I don't have much furniture, I do have a lot of electronics and a good amount of boxes (35+). The weight range I'm getting is around 2200 pounds, just meeting the minimum to move with (most of) the big guys. Here are the quotes I received:

$15,000 insurance with no deductible
Shuttling my belongings once it gets up to NY
No packing, I'm doing that all myself
Moving sometime in July or August

AA Varco (Allied) in Pompano Beach
$2668

Bohren's (United) in West Palm
$2386

J&B Movers (northAmerican) in Pompano Beach
Thinks I wouldn't meet the minimum and is refering me to a company they use for smaller loads. Haven't received an estimate yet, but I'm a little wary of the situation.

I'm leaning towards Bohren's because of their main facility in NJ, which would mean they'll definitely be using all their own trucks. I don't think I can get a shuttle direct from here though, which would save me considerable money.

Any thoughts on those quotes?

Diane

Re: Moving from FL to NYC

Postby Diane » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:46 pm

I think at least the Bohren's quote is very good. Broadway Express would charge you $1828 for 10 linear feet (their minimum) and you would have to pay for loading and unloading labor and maybe a shuttle van on top of that, so actually it would end up costing in the same range as Bohren's. Whoever you use, please come back to report so we can build up our database.

EastCoastMover

Postby EastCoastMover » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:33 am

wary indeed....and with good reason...NAVL has a 1000# mini so i dont know what j&b is doing...probably be best to avoid them please....

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:09 am

In connection with what East Coast Mover just said, I have observed that sometimes even reputable companies seem to be trying to "palm off" customers with smaller loads to packaging/shipping services, etc. during the summer months. This is pure speculation, but I have wondered whether they just didn't want to be bothered with them.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”