Very different quotes on interstate move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
LynnA

Very different quotes on interstate move

Postby LynnA » Mon May 01, 2006 1:02 pm

I am moving from northern Michigan to Arizona and I have received two quotes, and they are very different. They are both local affiliates to well-known van lines: NorthAmerican and Wheaton.

Both companies estimated my move at between 3500-4500 pounds. The North American affiliate estimated between $3800 and $4600 dollars, and the Wheaton affiliate estimated between $2678.62 and $3247.72. This is a pretty significant difference, and while I would, of course, prefer to save mone, I also don't want to be scammed. I live in a very rural, out of the way area, and so I do expect to pay more for a move than some places. I have only these two options for an interstate move, and the pod/self move options aren't available to me. I don't have serious worries about either place, but I felt the NorthAmerican affiliate was a little more professional sounding-- coming out to look at my place, going over everything with me, etc. On the other hand, this area is VERY informal, the Wheaton affiliate knew my apartment complex (for the number of stairs required), and that may have contributed to it the casual attitude. It's just such a big difference in price, and I can't account for the difference.

Any advice?

Lynn

Oh, by the way, thanks to this site, I avoided being scammed by White Gloves Moving and Storage. I probably would have got suspicious anyway--when reading the electronic contract, they want money prior to the move-- and it has to be a check or money order.

Diane

Re: Very different quotes on interstate move

Postby Diane » Mon May 01, 2006 1:09 pm

Lynn,

If you could give the actual names of the companies involved, it would be helpful to me personally since I have very little info on companies in Northern MI for my summary post on movers (see link below).

It seems as if both companies gave you Nonbinding estimates and it also seems as if NAVL was the only one to actually come to your residence. The Wheaton rep should have come to your residence as well. A phone quote is inadequate in this case.

You have absolutely no idea of the maximum price you will pay with a Nonbinding estimate. If you showed the NAVL rep what you are moving, he/she should have been able to give you a Binding or BNTE estimate. If you don't know yet what you are moving, I personally would have him or her come back when you do know.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Mon May 01, 2006 1:50 pm

Take a look at the estimates. Does one offer a higher discount then the other, Does one say they are going to pack while the other does not, Does one have any special xtra charges that will be needed like a shuttle or such.
Ruges

Postby Guest » Mon May 01, 2006 3:14 pm

The names of the two companies are Guindon Moving and Storage, (the NAVL) affiliate, and Frank the Mover (the Wheaton affiliate). Guindon is actually coming to look next week (they haven't been out here yet-- I just spoke with them for the first time this morning). They did tell me straight out that they would need to come out to do a more accurate estimate, which I appreciated. I presume a binding estimate will be produced at that time. I will try to make sure I get one-- unfortunately, I really only have these two companies to choose from. Both companies are Cost on Delivery, and take credit cards.

Both companies included the same things in their quote (I called back to clarify with Frank the Mover (Wheaton affiliate- the lower priced estimate). I do think Guindon sounds like the do a better job packing, and they got much more information over the phone regarding what I had.

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon May 01, 2006 3:50 pm

Lynn,

You do not want binding you want binding not to exceed or not to exceed quotes.

Of course the quotes will vary because no one saw your items. Its like calling best buy and saying give me a quote for a 25" TV. Well one with no bells and whistles will cost 399.00. One with bells and whistles will cost 1200.00.

Make sure everyone is able to give you an inventory of the items they looked at in estimating your weight. They should be able to give this to you once they are done with their surveys. Make sure you show them the same things and tell them the same things, even if things have changed by the time you have your second in home survey.

You want your weights to be within 10% of eachother. So in the case where you said they were close in weight with 3500-4500, that actually isnt close. 3500-3850 would be close or 4000-4400 would be close. Dont be sucked into the whole they are cheaper thing and have no idea why. Cost will be determined by weight estimated, discount given (55%-65% maybe lower depending on your weight and distance), services (packing, shuttles, storage) and valuation (ask for the same thing from both companies, full coverage, $0 deductible). You can always work backwards from there.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

LynnA

Guindon Storage and Moving

Postby LynnA » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:41 pm

I thought I would provide an update on my move, since there isn't too much available on northern Michigan, specifically the Upper Peninsula (UP) on this board.

I made the decision to go with Guindon Moving and Storage (North American Van Lines), based on the feel I got from the company, and people I knew who had good experiences with local/office moves they had done. I foolishly did not get a GNTE estimate, but it came out okay for me. The estimate was off by about 140 lbs, but I expected this, as even looking at all my books, I've learned movers don't fully appreciate just how heavy my professional books are.

My experience was very good overall. The only difficulty was in setting dates, and this was because in my small area not to many people are doing interstate moves, and they were still putting the trip together up until the last minute (more a concern for delivery date than pickup). However I gave them the date when I HAD to have my stuff by, and they did it. They also provided me free good quality used boxes, and lots of advice on keeping costs down. The only other issue is that while I understand wanting to get as much on one truck, a 71 foot truck does NOT fit well into apartment complexes, and there was some concern at the delivery end about getting the truck into the complex. However the driver was able to, with some difficulty, because I lived at the front of the complex. The tight turns that would have been required otherwise would not have been possible. I guess this is where a GNTE might have been helpful, if they'd ended up having to shuttle stuff.

The crew was very polite, very helpful and professional, doing little things like suggesting they load the vacuum last, so I could do a quick sweep at the end. For the first time in a move I actually got all the little pieces needed to put furniture back together! I haven't opened all the boxes yet, so I can't say for sure how things did in getting here, but everything looks okay so far (and since I packed it, I don't have much room for complaint). The price came out slightly above the estimate (due to the extra 140lbs), but well less than the 110%. I would highly recommend them to people moving from the UP.

LynnA

Me Michael

Postby Me Michael » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:49 pm

A Upper. Well I am glad your move went well. But just so people dont take some of the things you say in the wrong manner. If a shuttle would have been necessary at destination, even with a GTNE, you would have been charged for it. Actually the mover should have included the price of a shuttle in your quote as a "Destination Charge Unknown".

Welcome to your new home,

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:46 am

Thanks for coming back to post, Lynn. I added your review to my summary post on Michigan.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:53 pm

Me Michael wrote:A Upper. Well I am glad your move went well. But just so people dont take some of the things you say in the wrong manner. If a shuttle would have been necessary at destination, even with a GTNE, you would have been charged for it. Actually the mover should have included the price of a shuttle in your quote as a "Destination Charge Unknown".

Welcome to your new home,

Oh, the mover did give me the prices that it would cost in advance with my written estimate, in the event it should be needed. I guess I just thought that if I had the GTNE it would be included. Thanks for the clarification.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:54 pm

No thank you for the clarification. Its just helps cause one person reads something and usually they just assume. Especially in this industry.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Return to “Open Community”