*TLC Moving & Storage in CO, AccuQuote, insurance revoke

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ashul2

*TLC Moving & Storage in CO, AccuQuote, insurance revoke

Postby ashul2 » Wed May 03, 2006 12:51 am

I have a few questions that I need help on,

I have gotten a quote from TLC moving & storage in longmont & denver co, tlcmoving.com for a move from boulder CO to atlanta GA.
USDOT # 967914 FMCSA docket# 446470.
1850 LEFTHAND CIRCLE
(303) 776-8529
LONGMONT, CO 80501

They did an inhouse estimate by weight using 'AccuQuote' which seems to say that the final price is based by weight but they don't say what the cost is in $/lb, is this standard? I backtracked and figured out it was around 1.45 $/lb.

I used the movingscam guide and everything on this company checked out until i looked at the safety rating and the insurance. They have no current safety rating on the safersys website.

Looking at the FMCSA website things get fishy. Under authority, the common activity status is listed as inactive, but the guide says it needs to be active, is this a red flag? It also says that they don't have any bond insurance on file.

Delving in more deeply, under the authority history section is says that the authority type HOUSEHOLD GOODS COMMON CARRIER was granted in 03/04/2003 but was revoked 05/19/2004 and it says the same thing for MOTOR PROPERTY COMMON CARRIER. I assume that can't be a good thing right? Looking at the revocation section it says for the common auth type the 1st served date was 4/16/04, effetive date was 5/19/04 and that the reason was involuntary revocation.

I was really hoping that this was a good company to use because I'm about out of options.

Thanks for the advice,

Diane

Re: TLC Moving & Storage in CO, AccuQuote, insurance rev

Postby Diane » Wed May 03, 2006 1:46 am

Hi - congratulations on doing your research! I think you are OK with this company. It is an agent of Paul Arpin Van Lines, and that is why it gave you an "Accu-Quote," which is the Arpin term for a GNTE, the best kind of quote to have. Your cost will go down if the weight is less than the estimated weight. See this post for an explanation of the various terms used by different van lines - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 5876#45876

TLC probably became an Arpin agent in May 2004 and that's why its own interstate licensing was revoked at that time. It is now using Arpin's licensing authority and insurance, which is normal. The things that are missing from TLC's record on safersys.org are not important.

It is perfectly normal for moving companies to quote a price for a total estimated weight and NOT to give the cost per pound. Scammers are the only ones who make a point of telling people the cost per pound. Some people, like you, try to figure it out, but the reputable moving companies themselves do not do this. That said, normally it costs about $1/pound to move household goods crosscountry, and the price you are quoting is substantially higher than that; I'm not sure why. Maybe you have an unusually small shipment (?).

The only doubt I have is that some people feel that it's not a good idea to use a smaller van line like Arpin for a very long distance move. Did you consider the Mayflower agent in Boulder, which I believe is Buehler? With Mayflower you might get a United Van Lines driver, and United is generally considered to be the strongest U.S. van line. You might not get as good a driver with Arpin as with United/Mayflower. Also, there have been three complaints on RipoffReport recently about Paul Arpin Van Lines not paying on claims.

If you are happy with TLC and it is your only option, I think you can safely go with that company, but I just thought I should make these points in case Buehler Mayflower is also an option for you.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

ashul2

Postby ashul2 » Fri May 05, 2006 4:29 pm

Diane,

Thanks for the info. I've tried to call Buehler to set up an estimate but the estimator has never called me back so I just gave up on them. I did however get a quote from a Mayflower agent Arrow Moving & Storage, which has offices throughout the country (I'm dealing with the office in Cheyenne WY who also have another office in Ft. Collins CO.) The gentleman who came by, Ed Sauer, was very helpful explained everything to me, gave me tons of information on Arrow, Mayflower, and the moving business as a whole. I got a BNTE quote of $2079 for a weight of 2,443. He said the minimum charged weight is for 2,100 lbs which I guess makes sense.

Their safersys report looks ok except they had 5 out of 10 vehicle inspections as 'out of service'. All of their info on FMCSA looked fine.

The only thing that Ed didn't have was the DOT license number of the Cheyenne office, just the DOT number of Mayflower but this didn't bother me too much so I think I'm going to go with them.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri May 05, 2006 5:12 pm

Good choice. I had been a little worried about TLC. Arrow has DOT #22889 and MC #96339. Coincidentally, someone else ("baqueen" in Colorado Springs) was just considering them but ultimately decided in favor of Armstrong - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7869 You might want to compare notes with her at some point. That is a good quote. I agree that the vehicle out-of-service ratio is high but otherwise they look good. Please do come back with a final report so I can add it to my summary post on WY moving companies (this will be the first one).

Return to “Open Community”