National moving company independent drivers?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
fifi

National moving company independent drivers?

Postby fifi » Tue May 09, 2006 3:15 pm

I'm really in a panic, I signed a contract with Andy's Transfer--an agent for North American Van Lines for a move from L.A. area to Eugene, OR. The movers are due on Thursday.

I ccalled Andy's today to find out more about delivery time and was told only the driver could tell me his schedule. This seemed odd to me. I asked if North American didn't have their scheduled pick ups in their system and was told again that only the driver knew.

I couldn't find out more from Andy's. I'm thinking that maybe the driver is an independent who picks up loads from various moving companies and doesn't really work for anyone but himself.

I repeatedly asked if the driver was a North American employee and was repeadly
told he was. i"d like to find out if anyone knows about this sort of thing.

Diane

Re: National moving company independent drivers?

Postby Diane » Tue May 09, 2006 3:50 pm

Hi - the driver will definitely be affiliated with North American Van Lines. He will not be a maverick cruising around the country picking up loads from random companies.

Andy's may not be able to tell you exactly when your delivery will take place, which is probably what they mean when they say that only the driver knows. It will depend on what other loads he has on the truck. However, you should have been given a delivery "spread"--a range of days within which your things will be delivered. This may be the most they can narrow it down at this point. Andy's is very reputable. Only if they can't confirm a delivery spread (a range of days) would there be any reason to worry.

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Tue May 09, 2006 4:32 pm

Ask Andy's to ask the driver to call you. Most drivers for northamerican are on a satilite system and so he will just be able to IM the driver to call you.

Even if you don't do this, since you are being delivered on thursday the driver will be giving you a call today or tomorrow. A morning delivery is typical.
Ruges

i-95

Postby i-95 » Tue May 09, 2006 7:49 pm

The driver usually will have multiple shipments on board so Andy's cannot tell you exactly what day or time the driver will make your delivery. However while the driver is at your house just ask him when he has delivery planned for. Most drivers (at least the one's i no) plan a tenitive delivery schedule in there head when they accept a load. Just please dont do it in the first 5 minutes, and remember tenitave means tenitave.

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Tue May 09, 2006 11:06 pm

I-95, since the delivery is Thursday the shipment has already been loaded. And since she has not had any contact with the driver yet the shipment was either APUed or was in storage at orgin.
Ruges

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed May 10, 2006 10:29 am

The load is for this Thursday, the driver will verify which day of the 3 day delivery spread then.

Return to “Open Community”