Charged by Hourly Rate -- First American Van Lines?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
mja34

Charged by Hourly Rate -- First American Van Lines?

Postby mja34 » Thu May 11, 2006 8:51 am

US DOT: 872667

Hi. I am moving from NYC to Arlington, VA in a few weeks. I sent someone from First American to my home yesterday to do an estimate--he met with my husband. I also had made appointments with Allied and North American. First American had said that for that distance, they would do a same day move (which we were happy about), whereas Allied and North American said they did not do same day for that distance. Anyway, to make a long story short, my husband, thinking he was being helpful, booked First American almost as soon as the guy finished his walk-through. And gave him $270 deposit (which he says he thinks was non-refundable). Their estimate was for 3 men at a rate of $125/hr, 3 hours loading truck, 6 hours driving to VA, 3 hours unloading truck, 6 hours driving back to NY, and then a $50 or so charge for boxing our big screen TV for a grand total of $2315. Is the hourly rate charge a bad idea? I'm not totally freaked out about cost, as my in-laws are paying for our move, but if that day, the cost gets driven up drastically and they want cash to cover it, that might be problematic.

From checking on this board, it seems that the other two companies I was looking into are more respected in the moving business (also, we would have gotten an extra discount with them through military.com). However, First American was appealing b/c of the same day move aspect.

Is this a bad idea? My biggest concerns are getting my stuff into our new apt that same day, no major damages to our stuff, and not having to fork over an obscene amount of cash that day. If someone here says "No! No! Hourly rates are the devil! First American is the devil!!!" then I would be willing to cancel with them, and just suck up being out the $270 deposit, and hire one of the other companies I had scheduled for estimate appointments.

Thanks!

Just helping

Re: Charged by Hourly Rate -- First American Van Lines?

Postby Just helping » Thu May 11, 2006 10:08 am

Hourly rate? the estimator can do that for his calculations but then he must give you a flat price for this amount, it's illegal to charge by the hour for this type of moves...

mja34

Postby mja34 » Thu May 11, 2006 10:17 am

Illegal to charge by the hour for what kind of move--interstate?

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu May 11, 2006 12:39 pm

Beyond a certain radius surrounding New York City, moving companies are not supposed to charge by the hour. Having just reviewed what has been said here about First American Van Lines, I personally feel that you would be taking a chance if you use this company. They may be violating labor laws by having their workers do the move in one day--I'm not sure. We have run into this situation before where the more reputable NYC-area companies say that they cannot go to the DC area and back in one day while the less reputable companies say they can. Possibly an industry pro would be able to comment.

Return to “Open Community”