Any one use First American Van Lines?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
willow

Any one use First American Van Lines?

Postby willow » Wed May 17, 2006 4:34 pm

I am looking to use them cross country...the US DOT Number is 872667 I.C.C - MC 382319 and NYC DOT # 34329

I check the BBB and they have had 2 complaints, both resolved. Is that bad?

Thanks so much...

MusicMom

Re: Any one use First American Van Lines?

Postby MusicMom » Thu May 18, 2006 11:49 am

I would say this company is OK to use, with a but....

Thier record looks OK, but they did give someone a long-distance quote based on Cubic Feet. You should only use them if they come to your house to give you an estimate based on seeing your stuff (not an emailed or phone interview), and if they quote you on weight, backed up with Certified Weight Tickets from the road.

Ask them for this, and please report back what they offer you.

Also, find two or three other movers to do the same, and compare estimates. If any oare significantly more or less than the others, dump them.

willow

Postby willow » Thu May 18, 2006 6:42 pm

Thanks so much, they are coming on Saturday to give me an estimate and I'll let you know.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu May 18, 2006 9:38 pm

You know, the information system supposedly protecting consumers in this country makes me ill. As we've seen with other companies, this company's bad record on www.safersys.org has somehow been expunged since two years ago.

The company's legal name is First American Moving & Delivery Services, Inc. and its principal is Alon Hillel. On 2/12/04, "Consumer Advocate" posted as follows:
First American Moving and Delivery (DOT# 872667) doesn't look good either. They have a driver out of service record of 26.7%. They've had five involuntary revocations of their operating authority by the DOT and they've had many insurance cancellations. - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... =6521#6521

Well, the insurance cancellations are still there but their driver out of service record is now 15.8%. That part is understandable, but the 5 involuntary revocations of their operating authority have magically vanished. And no, there was no mistake in the 2004 post. This is not the first time we've seen this, as I've said. The same thing happened with the notorious scammer Discount Moving Network and others.

Willow, you do not want to use any company that had 5 revocations since getting interstate licensing authority in 2000, that has coupons on its website, and that quotes by cubic feet for interstate moves. Further, it is exploiting various names to confuse people. Its original website at www.firstamericanmoving.com resolves to a NetConnections site, but it is registered to a Joe Edri at Alon Hillel's address in Kew Gardens. Please, find another company to use.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri May 19, 2006 2:18 pm

Whoa, go Diane! :thumbsup:

Willow, I sincerely apologize for leading you to believe that this company was OK. I do not know what happened to their records, but am super-glad that Diane looked up old posts.

Return to “Open Community”