Johnson Storage (United) Denver, CO - not recommended

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
CKSpeed

Johnson Storage (United) Denver, CO - not recommended

Postby CKSpeed » Sun May 28, 2006 1:33 pm

This is a followup to my move from Denver, CO to Seattle, WA in October 2005.

I choose Johnson Moving & Storage, a United affiliate located in Denver, for my move. Sales person who did the onsite survey was very professional and courteous. Johnson contracts to a third party to do the packing. I was lucky and got one of the packing supervisors to pack all of my things, and he did a super job. The truck driver and loading team, however, were another story.

I knew I was in trouble the minute the truck showed up as the trailer had damage and the truck itself was old and beat up. The driver seemed like a hillbilly and the two loaders were his son and son-in-law, both were about 19 years old. I caught the loaders moving dish packs down three flights of stairs with hand carts. I asked the loaders to hand carry the dish packs and they gave me attitude. The some electronic items in the dish packs were damaged because of their negligence.

What bothered me the most was the driver. On the inventory sheet he falsely marked down the condition of all my furniture as broken, wet, chipped, and scratched. Even my brand new coffee table! It was a cover-his-butt move on the part of the driver so I could not claim damages at the destination. My fault was not catching his tactic until after I signed the inventory papers. For those reading this - be sure to check the inventory sheet as it is being filled out.

One saving grace was Johnson Storage was prompt in paying out the damages to the electronic items in the dish packs. Until Johnson screens their drivers and loaders better I would NOT recommend Johnson Moving & Storage (United Van Lines agent).

Diane

Re: Johnson Storage (United) Denver, CO - not recommended

Postby Diane » Mon May 29, 2006 11:22 am

Hi - thanks so much for posting this final report on your move. I originally thought you were going with Armstrong but will update my summary post. Several people have made similar comments about the van line drivers writing down that all their things were scratched/dented/worn/rubbed or whatever ("wet" is a new one, though) so I assume that this CYA stuff is par for the course, just like the drivers carrying various colors of wax crayons to touch up scratches and Crazy Glue to repair broken furniture. I don't think Johnson should be blamed for the driver, however - wasn't he from United Van Lines?

If you see this, I have another question for you. You posted that JK Moving did a great job moving you from Seattle to Denver in a corporate move. How did that come about, since JK is in Virginia?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

CKSpeed

Postby CKSpeed » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:47 pm

To answer your first question, yes the driver was from United Van Lines.

Looking at my paperwork for the Seattle to Denver move, my employer moved me with Mitchell Moving & Storage (affiliated with Atlas Van Lines) out of Tukwila, WA. I don't know why I originally thought I used JK.

Anyway, hope this helps. Thanks for your comments!

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:57 pm

Thanks. I'll make the correction and give Mitchell proper credit for your good move to Denver on this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 3698#43698

Just to repeat:- Johnson should not be held responsible for the actions of the United Van Lines driver, who was undoubtedly an owner-operator assigned to the move by United dispatch. He would not have been under Johnson's control.

Return to “Open Community”