Is Sasha legit? Or am I going to get screwed?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
dachiri

Is Sasha legit? Or am I going to get screwed?

Postby dachiri » Mon May 29, 2006 3:07 pm

I will be moving in late August from Athens, Ohio to Boston, NYC, DC or Chicago (I'm graduating from college and don't know where yet). This site has scared the living daylights out of me so I thought I would get some input from all you wonderful people. :D

I have already done an internet search and gotten quotes from a bunch of companies, most of which are on the blacklist. There are no moving companies in our local phone book except for U-Haul.

I have gotten a quote from Sasha Transport, which is not on the blacklist, but has mixed reviews on the message boards. Here's the low down on what Sasha told me:

1. They will ship me boxes, bubble wrap, packing tape, and packing peanuts one month before my move, at no additional cost, for me to pack the items I can.
2. On the day of the move, they will meet me at the landfill a few miles away, where they will document the weight of the truck in my presence and we will all sign off on the initial weight.
3. They will disassemble, pad, and pack all large furniture.
4. Full replacement insurance will be $125. All items over $500 value will be documented, and their driver as well as myself and my own witness will sign off on the value and physical and working condition (for electronics) of all my valuable items.
5. After everything is loaded, I will follow them back to the landfill and they will weigh the truck again in my presence and we'll all sign one more time.
6. After this second weighing, the final price will be calculated and, once again, we'll all sign the binding contract.
7. It will take 3-4 days to ship my items to Chicago, and 5-7 days to the East Coast.
8. When the truck arrives at my destination, they will unload everything, re-assemble my large furniture, and check all my valuables for physical and working condition. Once again, I have to have a witness of my own for this process.

I know some of this doesn't jive with what I've read here, like having someone do an in-home inspection and give a binding estimate before the day of the move, but I'm so far out in the middle of nowhere right now that all the "reputable" companies I've looked into won't even provide service here. I can't do a load-yourself type of company because I simply cannot move some of my bigger items out of my current place or into a new place.

What do you all think? I've checked them out with the BBB - they've had 4 complaints, all resolved, and Sasha's salesman I talked to told me what the complaints were before I checked - and what he told me was exactly what the BBB website said. The salesman also told me to check out this website.

All of this leads me to believe that I may not get screwed to bad, but I thought some of you with more experience at this game may have some insight. Any help would be much appreciated as I have to hire movers and I can't afford to replace broken or lost stuff.

twalker
Site Admin

Re: Legit? Or am I going to get screwed?

Postby twalker » Mon May 29, 2006 3:47 pm

This isn't a recommendation, but you might also try to get an estimate from Herlihy Moving & Storage in Chillicoth. They are a decent size Mayflower agent there. Their number is 740-775-6683.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon May 29, 2006 6:53 pm

Hi - Sasha does not have "mixed reviews" on this website. It has two bogus good reviews and a bunch of bad comments by regular posters here. See these threads in particular:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5539 (bogus good review)
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5769 (bogus good review)
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7383 (bad comments)
Also, someone who was scammed by Pony Xpress in Chicago saw Sasha's trucks using the same dreadful warehouse as the Pony Xpress trucks. Customers' things were stacked so they toppled and were carelessly broken and the employees just laughed about it - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 3239#43239

You have to be careful not to keep hoping that this company is OK. It is not OK. Please, either go with Broadway Express and hire workers from LaborReady.com or emove.com to load you or else take Tim's suggestion of a reputable moving company.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

dachiri

Postby dachiri » Tue May 30, 2006 7:01 pm

Thanks for the comments...the Mayflower company in Chillicothe never returned my e-mail or phone message, but through e-move I was able to find a company in Columbus that services Athens and does the individual full-service I was looking for. Moving Ahead Services of Ohio is their name and they are similar to Two Men and a Truck...they pack, load, drive, unload, and unpack and you get your own personal truck - no one else's stuff - and a direct move. They say it will only take them 2 days to move me to the East Coast! I'll post and let you know how it goes!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue May 30, 2006 9:37 pm

Sorry, but Moving Ahead Services of Ohio does not appear to be licensed or insured to either move you interstate or even drive a truck. There is no DOT number that I can find, which they need to be driving commercially, either as a mover or a freight company.

If they can offer you their DOT and/or MC number for verification, that would be good.

I thought emove screened its movers? Or were they advertising as loading help only, and then included this ad?

Justwant2know

Dear, Tim Walker . Decent Company????

Postby Justwant2know » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:16 pm

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:27 pm

Another complaint about Sasha posted on RipoffReport on 6/4/06:
Sasha Transport - moving company ripoff robbery ruined my life Skokie, Illinois

Sasha Transport
3649 chase Ave.
Skokie, Illinois 60076
Phone Number: 847-675-1222

This complaint is to inform the world that we have a thief that,s in a business position that could and will causes great finanical heartship to anyone doing business with them.

Sasha transport Inc.(moving & storage)is such a company.1).with no regard for my belonging this company left my valuables in the rain,2)than while in there warehouse,they went though each box(that I packed myself) to find my valuables.resulted in my lose of thirty(30) thousands dollars.And my lawyer" said I have no recoil within the law. There,s a big differance in damaged items and missing items,that,s spellout in the agreement. When and where does a consumer have protecting from company like this. There must be a way that I can get justice.I,ve been rob!!!.

Michael
Forestdale, Alabama
U.S.A.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/view.asp?id=194741

Diane

Re: Is Sasha legit? Or am I going to get screwed?

Postby Diane » Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:19 pm

Very bad comments about Sasha posted on RipoffReport by an ex-employee on 6/19/06 showing how these scam companies work:
Sasha Transport, Inc. (Moving & Storage)

This company is owned and operated by the same Sasha Cincar who ran the AY transport offices out of the midwest region. It still uses the same tactics to lure you in to moving with them. Almost all of their workers are illegal workers who steal what they need from your belongings and later all you can do is claim 0.60 per lb by law.

This is unfair and should not be permitted to go on like this this way. As a former employee I would think it best to check to see if the owners are legal at all. Why do you have to put up with a illegal person stealing your money. Also lots of their jobs are paid in cash so they are erased from the books and not acounted for NO TAXES. They have so many people who dislike them that their storage was burnt up twice in the first year alone, I wouldn't trust them with your belongings for a second

B.

Ori - SKOKIE, Illinois, U.S.A. - http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff142955.htm
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:15 pm

I did a check and found a United agent in Athens, and both United and Atlas in Albany..

For anyone for future reference.

Lee
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:12 pm

that post on rip off report was a fake. people can post what they want but not everyone is honest. go read up on rip off report and see how it has been followed.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:20 am

I dunno, spurned ex-employees with a lot of inside information tend to spill the beans truthfully.

Return to “Open Community”