Nelson Westerberg (Atlas) Chicago to Houston, My Experience

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ventivent

Nelson Westerberg (Atlas) Chicago to Houston, My Experience

Postby ventivent » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:12 pm

Just wanted to share my experience with Nelson Westerberg, based out of Elk Grove in Illinois. We moved from downtown Chicago to Houston last June, and used this company. We moved from a 2 bedroom, 1 bath apartment in downtown Chicago to a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment in Houston, TX.

The estimate went well. A man named Mike came out, and he was a well dressed (sport jacket, slacks) middle-aged man. He brought a computer device and portable printer, spent about 20 minutes looking around the apartment, and was able to print out a professional looking estimate on the spot: it came out to around $5500. He told us to ship our car (BMW 323i) with another company called "Hot Shots" because it would be cheaper that way.

We had Nelson Westerberg pack, load and unload our stuff. The packing went pretty well. It took them two days to get everything packed up. There were three very nice guys who came out to pack. On the second day, they brought a truck and started loading. The loading took longer than expected, and they called two other guys (5 total) to come help. All-in-all, no hiccups on the Chicago end.

We moved right around July 4th weekend. Nelson Westerberg estimated that it would take between 2 and 11 days for our stuff to arrive in Houston. After about a week, I started to get concerned. I called Nelson Westerberg, and they said that because of the holiday weekend, it might take longer. It ended up taking 15 days. Nelson Westerberg offered to reimburse for food and hotel for the extra four days, provided I submit receipts.

When my stuff arrived. It had been repackaged into a smaller truck. There was one driver, who was not one of the guys on the loading end. He was not very friendly. He had hired two men off the street to help him move. These two men had no moving experience at all. The temperature in Houston was about 90 degrees, and they had to move to a 3rd story walk-up apartment. The whole time, they kept asking if there was anything to eat or drink. I went out and bought them Chik-fil-a, and each person had two sandwiches and a large drink. Still, they kept asking if there was any more. It was very unprofessional. Also, they would move a few boxes, then, SIT ON THE BOXES, in my air-conditioned apartment, refusing to go back out into the heat. All in all, it took over 8 HOURS to get my 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment moved into. The floors were not well protected. A halogen lamp was broken. I was disgusted.

The car, which Mike told me to ship with Hot Shots, got to Houston after 11 days. Mike said it would be much faster than that, like 2-3 days. It had been sitting on an open flat bed and was very dirty. The Hot Shots driver was not very professional either. I had packed a bunch of stuff like lamps and folding chairs into the car, expecting that it would be there earlier. The total cost for shipping the car through Hot Shots was $1000. I was disappointed with the car shipper, too.

I talked to Nelson Westerberg about the awful unloading process. They only offered to reimburse food/lodging for the extra four days over their estimate. Overall, although the price was reasonable, and the loading went well, I would not move with them again. Bottom line: 15 days from Chicago to Houston, and an awful unloading experience. HTH someone.

Diane

Re: Nelson Westerberg AVL - Chicago to Houston, My Experienc

Postby Diane » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:27 pm

ventivent wrote:When my stuff arrived. It had been repackaged into a smaller truck. There was one driver, who was not one of the guys on the loading end. He was not very friendly. He had hired two men off the street to help him move. These two men had no moving experience at all. The temperature in Houston was about 90 degrees, and they had to move to a 3rd story walk-up apartment. The whole time, they kept asking if there was anything to eat or drink. I went out and bought them Chik-fil-a, and each person had two sandwiches and a large drink. Still, they kept asking if there was any more. It was very unprofessional. Also, they would move a few boxes, then, SIT ON THE BOXES, in my air-conditioned apartment, refusing to go back out into the heat. All in all, it took over 8 HOURS to get my 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment moved into. The floors were not well protected. A halogen lamp was broken. I was disgusted. . . .

Overall, although the price was reasonable, and the loading went well, I would not move with them again. Bottom line: 15 days from Chicago to Houston, and an awful unloading experience. HTH someone

It does help. This seems to be just another case of the booker initially doing its job well and then the hauling/unloading process leaving a bad taste in the customer's mouth. I assume that the driver was from Nelson Westerberg and it seems as if he was trying to cut corners by hiring street people to unload, which is really inexcusable since he should have been able to find professional unloaders in a big city like Houston. People pay more for van line agents than for Joe Schmoe Movers assuming that they will not hire street people, even in July.

Anyway, I'll add your review to the section on "Illinois" in my summary post below. Although Nelson Westerberg apparently has a very good reputation in the industry, comments about it here by customers have not been especially good.

Regarding the car, if people in the future have cars that they want to move from Chicago or elsewhere in the Midwest to TX (or the reverse), I urge them to consider Coast to Coast Auto Transport in Idaho, which services that route and has performed very well for several people posting here. Website is www.coasttocoastauto.com.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”