Moving from NYC to FL

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
FL Mover

Moving from NYC to FL

Postby FL Mover » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:35 pm

I've found this site so helpful, so I wanted to share my experience for others to hopefully benefit also. So far, I am still in the estimate stage. I called University Van Lines, Collins Bros., Moishe's and Flatrate. I also plan on having Dahill come by.

University and Collins (both Atlas agents) gave me nearly identical estimates. The estimators couldn't be more different though. The University guy spent 2 hours and gave us a lot of tips on how to save money and pack correctly. The Collins guy was in and out in 15 minutes.

Moishe's gave a higher estimate, which was suprising since from these message boards I've read that University tends to estimate high. Worse, Moishe's did not sign the estimate and they ask for a deposit of half the estimate at pick-up. They are definitely out.

Flat rate wanted to do the estimate over the phone. Combined with other negative comments on these boards, they are out.

Will post later on how Dahill turns out.

Should I get another estimate (and from whom?), or should this be plenty?

Diane

Re: Moving from NYC to FL

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:55 pm

Thanks for taking the time to post this. In general, it confirms what others have said on this messageboard. People have not liked Collins nearly as much as University, saying that it seems too big without much personal attention given to the customer. Also, I think Moishe's sometimes gives high quotes on long-distance moves because as an independent company it may have to send an exclusive truck. It can't build the load with the help of van line dispatch as a van line agent can do.

Out of curiosity, who was your estimator for University and who was the one for Collins?

I think with Dahill you will have another good option and that's probably enough for now. However, if you want a third quote my recommendation based on the reviews and comments here would be the United agent Hall-Lane in Commack, LI.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”