Majestic Van Lines MA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Knowall

Majestic Van Lines MA

Postby Knowall » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:59 am

anyone have any information on thsi comapny based out of MA ? they have an inactive DOT # because of lack of Insurance I think. But they can always get insurance right?

MusicMom

Re: Majestic Van Lines MA

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:30 pm

Yes, they CAN get insurance, but why would you risk it? Please tell me you're not considering using a company that flaunts the law and moves illegally.

rezf

Postby rezf » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:21 pm

Hi all,
This is my first post and congrats on a WONDERFUL website. I am looking into a move from MA to VA and have looked at yellow pages and your superlist and have gotten two quotes from two companies:

1) Walecka & Son (Atlas) based on 6000lbs was quoted $6700 for a straight truck door to door delivery the next day guaranteed

2) Majestic Vanlines quote was based on 5400 lbs and far more competitive at $4800.

Both reps were extremely thorough with a walk through that lasted 30 minutes.

Since this thread was originally inquiring about Majestic, I wanted to know what you folks think I should do? I am not savvy about looking into DOT and insurance information and deriving any meaningful information from it. I have checked the BBB and both faired very well with 1-5 complaints in the last 36 months

Any input is greatly appreciated

Thanks

RezF

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:33 pm

Well, when this thread was first started, Majestic was in the middle of a 3+ month license revocation. In May of this year, they had another one. They are legal now, but two revocations in a year and a half of business is a bad sign.

If they are estimating almost $2000 less of cost for almost the same size load, how do they justify it? Moving is an expensive venture, not only for the customer paying the bill but also for the company supplyin the expensive trucks, the paid labor, the bought furniture pads, the expensive gas, the insurance premiums, the license fees, and everything else they give to you for that one lump sum. The pros here keep telling us what a skimpy profit they're pulling in, and they are charging what is considered the "higher prices". How does Majestic stay afloat?

I would not risk it if I were you. Get two more companies to come to your house.

rezf

Postby rezf » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:44 pm

Thank you MusicMom,
Your comments are so logical and now that I have read them make so much sense. I know that price should never be the biggest factor in a move...security and peace of mind are more important. I have Humboldt coming in the next half an hour for an estimate and I will post the update. Once the move is done, I will DEFINITELY write up a thorough review as this website is simply the best source for moving

Also, in order to have the straight truck door to door service they have a minimum weight requirement that ranges from 10000lbs to 12500lbs for different companies. Since my stuff is around 6000lbs, does this mean that a GNTE or a binding price is not all that important since I am way below the minimum weight??

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:52 pm

Oooh, you got me on that last one. You'll get an answer from somebody soon.

Yes, please keep us updated on your quotes.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:01 pm

I think that Pam or Nancy mentioned the other day that it would have to be a binding price if they're charging a minimum weight.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:35 pm

I think it's worth calling around because you just might hit on a company that has another 6000-pound load going to VA and if they can combine the loads on one truck they may give you a better price. You might even try calling Gentle Giant since your move is relatively short.

I agree with what has been said about Majestic - avoid it.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:54 pm

I decided to look a little deeper, and found that there is no incorporation in MA for a moving company with the word Majestic in the name. They have failed to give basic info to the BBB, which is strange. Indeed, the name given on the website registration has no incorporation under it.

Administrative Contact:
Danilov, Jennifer
majesticvanlines@yahoo.ca
27 N Cr Circuit
Brighton, MA 02135
857-991-0506

I don't know who designed the website, but it looks just like another movers', one whose name is escaping me right now, where the phone numbers all look like country code-format and the date is European layout, I'll see if I can come up with that name. It's probably just a template that can be used, but coincidences need to be double-checked. I got it, it's www.doortodoorvanlines.com of NYC. Must just be a template.

Also, they only have one truck and driver.

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:55 pm

rezf, in all my years (and I'll admit I'm still a little young :lol: ) I have never come across anyone utilizing a minimum load of that size unless they really had a great desire to go out of business. One of the things I think is important to know is when do you need to move. You may be caught during end of June pricing which is always high.... The highest minimum load I've seen is 5,000 #.

I would call another company that has a smaller minimum requirement...
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:56 pm

"LooneyOne" (industry insider) posted that he had had dealings with Majestic and they were notorious for scamming and just plain poor service:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 0813#70813

They gave someone else a quote that was less than half what Mayflower quoted.
Last edited by Diane on Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:57 pm

rezf wrote:Also, in order to have the straight truck door to door service they have a minimum weight requirement that ranges from 10000lbs to 12500lbs for different companies.

Jim, he says they have a minimum weight for a STRAIGHT truck.

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:19 pm

farrah, I misread the word straight in the context presented (I thought straight in this case meant direct). OOPS, my bad :oops: . So it sounds like the agent is doing a self-haul utilizing one of their straight trucks instead of using the vanline to do the transport, and then deadhead the truck back. The agent is deciding not to utilize the resources of the vanline to do this load, hence the large minimum (talking aloud again)...

rezf, I think the value in doing this type of move is that you're guaranteed to get your items next day. If you were to utilize the full resources of Atlas through their agent, the price would be cheaper because you would not be subject to a minimum of that size, but you would not get your items next day - it could take a week or so.

If having your items next day is of great value to you, I would go with Walecka. Otherwise, you might want to see what another reputable carrier might provide in pricing.....
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

rezf

Postby rezf » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:03 pm

Thanks everyone for your wonderful insight. I did decide to go with the more expensive option of having a STRAIGHT delivery because I thought there is less chance of a mishap from unloading and reloading the trucks to and from the warehouse. Also, I would much rather know the next day guranatee of my stuff.
I think thanks to you guys I will pass on the cheaper priced Majestic offer. I am in the process of getting a quote from Huboldt (a superlist entry) and will compare and post offers and decide from there
Thanks again
RezF

Auri

Postby Auri » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:42 pm

Just to give you some idea....on the 400N tarriff.....6000 pounds at 0% (usually reserved for straight delivery or guaranteed delivery) would be around $5800 for transportation.
Industry Professional in Chicago

Return to “Open Community”