Atlanta to Vancouver quote dismay

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
Boks

Atlanta to Vancouver quote dismay

Postby Boks » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:59 am

All:

We were just quoted $19 062 to move the contents of our small three bedroom house from Atlanta GA to Vancouver BC.

I nearly fell out of my chair laughing.

The details come down to this:

"We would like to offer our quotation based on an estimated net weight of 9000 lbs net minimum, loose loaded in a 1x53 trailer, pick up from residense in Atlanta, GA to normal access residence Toronto, Canada is 211.80 per 100lbs, resulting in a total cose of $19 062."

We move this same set of household goods from Chicago to Atlanta 3 yrs ago for just under $5000. I know Vancouver is further, but EGADS. And then there's the fact that they put in Toronto instead of Vancouver...but that's minor compared to the price.

Any advice? I tried to create a logon to contact Frank, but kept getting error messages. Any help would be appreciated. We should be getting our second and third quotes this weekend.

Boks.

MusicMom

Re: Atlanta to Vancouver quote dismay

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:50 am

Toronto to Vancouver is not a minor mistake, that's half of the country in difference!

What company gave you this quote?

If you're login problems are related to this site, did you receive the confirmation email? Once you're signed in, send a PM to "Fred0844"

Boks

Postby Boks » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:51 am

My login problems were related to creating account, I couldn't see the image of the code. I'll try again later. (I meant Fred0844, not Frank...). The company was one of the three reccommend on this site for international moves.

We'll see what else I get back from the other companies

Still picking myself up off the floor, and really think the Toronto-Vancouver commute to work might be a bit too long. :)

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:00 am

Broadway Express goes to Canada so you might consider getting a quote from them to see whether it would be any cheaper. It looks as if you were quoted on a whole 53-foot trailer although your goods will actually take up only half of it.

the-move-guy

Postby the-move-guy » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:45 pm

Hi Boks,

How are you today?

$19K...that's ridiculous!

[advertisement removed by moderator]

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:40 pm

Tom,

Advertising is not allowed on this site and I am sure your post will be clipped. And if your a preferred agent of United Van Lines, you should know that a move from Atlanta to Canada is not an international move. But then again, maybe your "experts" can tell you that.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:20 am

Hello. First main question is are you going to Vancouver (the city) or Vancouver (the island). You are right about the commute especially in the winter.

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:10 am

Fred0844:

We're going to the city...not the island. There should be no boats involved in this move (unless our stuff goes to Savannah then up through the Panama canal??)

I was able to create an account, I'll send you a few more details.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:19 am

So the move is pretty straight forward.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:44 pm

Ran some numbers for you. These are just to give you an idea and should not be considered as actual. You are best to get a proper in home estimate. This is based on 9000 lbs with an appropriate discount.

Transportation .... 6,750.00
Fuel s/c .............. 700.00
Origin s/c............ 233.00
Dest s/c ............. 790.00
IRR ................... 270.00

These are your basic transportation cost about $ 8,750 US

Now the additional charges

Valuation ($ 50,000) ............. $ 468

If you require packing/unpacking, storage, 3rd party services they would be additional but you are best to go over that with a consultant. Hope this helps.

Return to “International Moves”