THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:51 pm

I am planning a move from NJ to FL and have been interviewing movers. I have 19k-20k lbs of things & a car to be moved. Many expensive items including $3k paintings, expensive furniture, etc etc. The cheapskate in me decided to meet with movers & base my decision on the person who came to my house & the price!!!!! You think I would have learned by now....I was just about to lock in with someone & my little voice said "check the internet you fool". So I did,,,,AND HERE I AM.

Some of the movers I was thinking of using you ask? How about Gibralter in Montclair, or Flat Rate South Express Corp in Belleville, or Rockland M&M Moving in Long Branch (priced based on cubic space)....Did I hit pretty much every DUD on your list??? There were more, but I will stop there.

I decided to check the internet, found your site, THANK GOD, and immediately called Wade Odell Wade (United) and University Van Lines (Atlas). Both Dick Cooper/WOW and Bill Quigley/Atlas were very professional & nice people. They both advised us on packing techniques and tricks. Dick's Dell handheld & portable printer was pretty impressive & cool!!!!

Now, since I know they are both reputable firms & people, I need to decide who to go with. University will give me a binded quote, WOW will only gaurantee that it won't be more then 110% higher,,,,, Gotta dig through their quotes & make a decision...

Any recommendations????????

Diane

Re: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:09 pm

Hi - it's so good to hear that we "saved" someone. Thank goodness for Google!

I think either company would be fine. What you want is a company that will self-haul your shipment using its own truck and driver. If University is promising to do that, I think I would tend to go with them. University packs and crates items for overseas shipments for Rainier (a premier international forwarder in Seattle) so I know it would know how to take care of your expensive things, although I'm sure that WOW would also do a good job on that.

With a Nonbinding quote like WOW's it's true that you can't be asked to pay more than 110% of the estimate on delivery day, but you can be billed for any overage after 30 days. Reports here show that many sales reps from many different van lines leave that last little bit of information out of their sales spiel.

You could probably save quite a bit of money by shipping the car separately since moving companies charge a lot to ship cars. If you do ship the car with either of the companies you are considering, make sure that the car is actually going to be shipped in the trailer with your household goods. Sometimes moving companies broker out such moves to auto transporters, and in that case you'd be better off booking with the auto transporter itself.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:23 pm

I agree with Diane in that if University is working with Rainer they are quite proficient. Rainer has pretty high standards, and when I was with chipman/Caton in No Cal their reps used to drop in from time to time and make spot checks on quality of service.

It might be a bit harder during the summer to get your hhg and auto in the same van unless you press the carrier. I know that United uses its own auto hauling fleet, and they might try to persuade you to go that route. Caution is most van lines auto haulers are not enclosed trailers.

Lee
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:24 pm

Thanks for the comments. I am probably going to use DAS for my auto(s). May take two. Trying to sell one as we speak. Anyone interested?? It's a 2006 Pontiac Solstice, 1,300 miles!!!!

Oh by the way, Flat Rate South Express said they would "throw" the car on the truck for no additional charge. AND, I have a piano that needs to be moved up the street to a friends house, NO PROB, would do that too @ no additional charge. So he was going to: 1) move 20k lbs to Florida, 2) provde & fill 25 garment bags, 3) pack my fine china, 4) take my BMW, 5) move my piano up the street, 6) pack my paintings, 7) pratically anything else I asked for (maybe even clean my windows) for a flat rate of $8,400, PERIOD!!! Then I asked about replacement value insurance, his response was "What's that"?? "All my people are from referrals & they know I don't break anything!!!" "I don't offer that & don't know where you can get it". Didn't provide me with any booklets, showed me his insurance which was expired, then showed me two tickets his drivers got, 1 for speeding, but told me his attorney gets him out of them. The funny part was that I was considering him!!!!! Just take a gun to me now, please.

Regarding WOW & United, I am going to go with WOW. I very much liked Dick & his little handheld thingy. I like the reviews on here. He cut me a "slight" deal, and I simply feel more comfortable with WOW. They advised me that the guys loading will be the same guys unloading & he will give me a 48 hour window for delivery (I need to fly down there, meet the guys, then fly home so I can drive back down with my wife, 3 kids, and boat in tow).

Both Dick & Bill said they are on this site A LOT, appreciate the feedback from people, and said they get a lot of business due to this site!!! So, if either of you are looking @ this thread, Bill I am sorry I am not using you!!!!

Diane & crew, any other thoughts & ideas for me??? FYI, you saved me a lot of headache & mistakes!!! I hope you feel a deep sense of pride & joy when you read threads like this as because of you my move "should" go much smoother then if I never found this site.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:00 pm

For future reference, any reputable mover sales rep will not appear with a pen and paper like in the movie "Moving" with Richard Pryor.

Just about everyone has some form of computerized portable device that can inventory, calculate the weights, and give you a printed estimate.

Did Flat Rate South say that they "throw" your furniture on the truck as well.

Then I asked about replacement value insurance, his response was "What's that"?? "All my people are from referrals & they know I don't break anything!!!" "I don't offer that & don't know where you can get it". Didn't provide me with any booklets, showed me his insurance which was expired, then showed me two tickets his drivers got, 1 for speeding, but told me his attorney gets him out of them. The funny part was that I was considering him!!!!! Just take a gun to me now, please.

We'll pass up on the gun since you corrected a potentially dangerous situation before it developed.

Lee
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:35 am

I will add a warning about Flat Rate South Express Corp. (MC #497811) to my summary post on NJ movers. This company advertises itself as being located in the Newark area but is actually registered as a Florida corporation. Its website at www.thebestflatratemovers.com is registered to Yoel Varela-Diaz and one of its phone numbers resolves to a Michael Zbikowski in Belleville, NJ. On www.safersys.org it lists only 1 truck and 1 driver and it has been licensed to do interstate moves only since May 2005. Safety violations are also shown there. Although this company may not have been reported by any customers as yet, I think it is only a matter of time.

Rockland M & M Moving and Trucking (MC #423722) is actually located in Spring Valley, NY--not in Long Branch, NJ. The BBB lists its president as Galit Shashoua. It is an agent of National Van Lines. I'm reserving judgment on this one.

Although BigLee is right that most sales reps now use PDA-type gizmos to do estimates, I know of many that still do it by hand, including our very own "IMP" (works for a highly respected independent company). Mr. Boush at Boush Moving (Atlas) in Puyallup, WA, also reportedly did an estimate by hand and it came out the same as the ones done by more hi-tech methods. What I was told by one rep is that with the gizmos, you have to shift from one virtual page to another to alter things, which is inconvenient. With pencil and paper you can find listings immediately to change them.

steph gas

Postby steph gas » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:35 pm

Depending on how you're getting yourself to Florida, and where in Florida, Amtrak's AutoTrain might work. I'm booked on it in July. You have to drive to Lorton, VA (which is about five hours/290 miles from me, and I'm on Long Island) and they load your car on the train, and you get to Sanford (not too far out from Orlando) the next morning. For myself, my husband, and our Neon, it's costing us $474, and that's with an upgraded room!! The cheapest quote I got for auto shippers (from a disreputable company) was still over $600.

Er, what's wrong with the Solstice?

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:58 am

Diane, you are right about "Flat Rate South Express", it is only a matter of time. Actually I did find a negative experience on here from someone who hooked up with Flat Rate through National Relocation!!!!! That is what woke me up to Yoel & his services.

M&M, I liked, but the big negative was they quoted my interstate move by cubic feet instead of pounds...Isn't this illegal???? Either way, I eliminated both of them due to this site & saved myself much headache.

There is nothing wrong with the Solstice,,,just don't feel like taking it to Florida. Owned it since beginning of year as a "fun car". Time for it to go.

Again, thank you for all you have done for me. You lowered the chance of my move going real bad from 90% to probably 10%. As a securities trader & card player, I look @ things based on odds. This site helps put the odds in the favor of the person moving!!!!!!!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you....

Glenn

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:34 pm

Anonymous wrote:Diane, you are right about "Flat Rate South Express", it is only a matter of time. Actually I did find a negative experience on here from someone who hooked up with Flat Rate through National Relocation!!!!! That is what woke me up to Yoel & his services.

Glenn, thanks for pointing out that there IS already a serious complaint about Flat Rate South Express posted here - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7548
I notice that MusicMom already researched the company and posted that it is incorporated in FL, as well.

I'm glad that we were able to help you. Now, please just come back and post a review of WOW and we'll be happy!
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:26 pm

Diane,

We will be in Florida shortly after July 14th. Once we are unloaded, I will definitely come back & leave info on how it went. Thanks again.

Glenn

Return to “Open Community”