ALERT - avoid The Right Move (NYC; MC #331283)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
juliemai

ALERT - avoid The Right Move (NYC; MC #331283)

Postby juliemai » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:01 pm

Hi, this is my first time on this site, I need to let people know about a NY based moving company that should be avoided.

I researched, many companies (my research obviously wasn't thorough enough) before contracting with The Right Move Moving and Storage Inc. I was quoted a price based on the weight of my household items for a move from NH to WA.

They were a day late arriving, arriving at 2.30pm in the afternoon in a truck that wasn't the one going to be used for the Interstate move. Later in the afternoon they called us out to the truck to tell us that the estimate was quoted too low. Reluctantly we left behind several items (queen bed, kitchen furniture etc) to keep the quote within budget. It was then that we learnt the shipment was based on cu ft. We had to pay an extra $1200 for shipping our goods.

The truck arrived in WA( sub contracted out to Ben Hur Trucking) with just a driver to offload. I had to help with the larger pieces. Our mattresses, we had asked to be wrapped, weren't. They were in a filthy condition, one had an oil stain and one was torn. Every single picture frame (all together in a box without protective wrapping) was damaged, two had broken glass. Numerous boxes were crushed or damaged. We had contracted for a full service move. My sofa, shrink wrapped, was torn.

Our load was a part shipment, it was then we discovered that our move actually took less than 800cu ft of space. We asked the driver to confirm what we were seeing, he did, we then took photographic evidence.

I have called the company three times, three times I've been told to call at certain times or that the sales representative isn't available.

Diane

Re: NY Movers

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:48 pm

Julie,

I am very sorry that this happened to you. Actually there are two previous reports here by people scammed by The Right Move. In each case the company brokered out the move to a company that damaged the furniture and so on. Don't assume that Ben Hur is an innocent party in all this. I'm changing the title of this thread to warn others against The Right Move.

Return to “Open Community”